Tour of South Africa 2012 -Canceled

cyclenut

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suprising how Kevin Vermaak can run a Multi Million rand event and make a profit

CSA only has excuses...

The Epic goes from strength to strength - why don`t they ask the Epic Team to organise/hold the Tour of South Africa under their unbrella?

Was bound to happen...

Very disappointing. I cannot believe that one organisation cannot get anything right...

What has CSA done in the last 2 years for cycling in SA? Nothing although I must say that the Tour of SA was only endorsed by them. They came to chat to me a few months ago and asked me to help them with the Tri Nations track event. I gave them a price and have not heard anything back from them again.

What has Greg Till done for cycling SA except maybe a few free trips abroad.

Well as a member of the PPA EXCO who fought for the Giro to continue into its 19th year - it was killed by now ONLY 1 Cell C Tour of RSA - actually this is what a number of EXCO members expected - that this Tour may only last 1 year - damage done!!!

I have said it before and I will say it again, find the culprit/culprits (one maybe two individuals) who dictate to CSA. and we could solve all our problems.

Not surprised after this years race.

Money is very tight at the moment and nobody wants to waste it on bad publicity.

Hendrik + Latrinus. The sieners of our generation. More to come, methinks.

Yeah, well one positive thing that can come out of this is that I see a huge turnout for the Tour de Boland next year :thumbup: ;)

Now that was a well organised race, and every one knew their role beforehand, traffic was kept informed. One stage was even swiftly re-routed because there were fires over Du Toit's Kloof.

Well as it stands now both the sports bodies called CSA in South Africa is not being managed very well!! To say the least!

Edited by malwyn

To play devil's advocate:

If sponsors are not interested in a Tour of SA, should there be one?

Without corporate backing, the event just won't survive.

The question to ask is: What would a sponsor get from TSA? Would it not cost them less to sponsor a team for a year for perhaps 1/2 the money, plus get more exposure?

Capitalism = counting the money :(

Some of the things that made the Epic such a huge success may not work for TSA:

- It can be considered epic to ride from A to B on a mtb in a week (before the circular days)

- Open to participation for funriders

- Awesome scenery

- Insanely difficult route

- Time of year when the weather is cr@p in the northern part of the planet

Edited by Christie

I think it just reflects the reality that road cycle racing here is aloof and disconnected, with little public support.

Epic mtb is a different animal, I don't think we can compare the two. Not only is it a carefully nurtured and mature brand and not to mention well organised event, but its open to anyone who can afford to pay.

Firstly...

you cant really compare the Epic and ToSA because firstly the epic is for everyone and the ToSA is only for the pro's. Secondly, for the epic there is an entry fee of R17 000 per rider which goes to the race organisers and is probably/obviously used to pay for the races expenses. In UCI road stage races like the ToSA, the race organisers have to pay the teams to compete, pay for there transport from where ever in the world they fly from, for their accommodation in hotels etc... there is no entry fee that they pay in at all and so the races sponsor has to cover all race expenses on its own. And these are the regulations laid down by the UCI so no real way around it.

but, secondly...

CSA found sponsorship for the 2011 ToSA in Cell C and primedia or who ever... but did such a pathetic job at the managerial and sporting aspect of the race that no sponsor would want to align themselves with CSA again for 2012. So with regard to that aspect, yes i think if you gave Kevin 12mil and said organise the tour of SA he would be able to put on a spectacle that the world would watch. But the problem lies squarely on Greg Till and Barry Mocke... (by the way, who was Barry Mocke before he joined CSA?) they got the 12mil or what eva it was, and didn't have a cooking clue how to spend it in the best interest of the race, the riders, the public or the sponsors...

the thing is you need guys with drive and passion for business as well as the sport at the same in the most influential positions... Andrew Mclean, Doug Ryder, Malcolm Lange, Barry Austin, Hendrik Lemmer... look at those guys, their passion for the sport is unquestionable and the business's they run are successful and known by all in the cycling circles... these are the guys that need to be running the CSA show. Not these Greg and Barry "feed my own bank account and belly" guys!