Cycle Lab - Bad customer service

Mr SingleTrack

Let me say upfront, I will never support Cycle Lab again.

Here is the story. I walked into Cycle Lab Fourways at 4:30pm last Friday with a brand new road bike that has done less than 100km. I asked the sales agent (he said his name is Ben) if someone can please assist me quickly as the cable (for my jockey) has stretched and I just need it to be adjusted, it should only take a few minutes. Ben told me that they cannot help me at that time since it would not take 5 minutes as my hanger is most probably bent and needs to be fixed which would take a long time to fix. I again explained to him that it is a new bike and that if the chance of it being cable stretch is 99%. I also explained to him that it is urgent as I was on my way out of town for a race on the weekend.

Ben told me that they will not assist me and should take it back to the shop where I bought the bike. Granted, I did not buy the bike at Cycle Lab but I could not take the bike back to the shop where I bought it as it is a couple of hours drive from Fourways and I needed urgent assistance. Ben just told me rudely that they will not assist me and that I can take my business somewhere else. I then told Ben, based on his rudeness and his recommendation, that I would in fact take my business elsewhere and that I would not support them again, to which he responded “thank you, please don’t come back again”.

Again, granted, I did not buy the bike from Cycle Lab. The sad thing is, I did however buy my Mountain Bike from cycle lab only a few months ago. In fact, I have spent somewhere between R70 000 to R80 000 over the last 6 months at Cycle lab. I visited their store at least once a week and all the staff there know that I am a regular customer (even Ben). So is this how cycle lab treat their regular customers? And BTW, I am also a member of their cycle club. Sure I guess my spend is only a drop in the ocean to them but frankly I expected more. I did not ask them to do it free of charge, I just needed someone to urgently assist me and I was more than willing to pay for the service.

I ended up driving through to Dunkeld Cycles at the last minute and they assisted me straight away (and I’ve never supported them before). And guess what, it took them less than 5 minutes to fix the cable stretch! Thanks Dunkeld Cycles for the friendly service, you will surely see me again.

Cycle Lab is obviously not dependable so I won’t waste my time there again.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oooh.. That will be a tough one to live down CL.

Seems there are guys committed to making a good name for the group (Northgate), and then there are these who don't seem to care about the brand at all.

Well done Fourways! :thumbdown:

Edited by Pain or Shine

Phone the store manager or owner and complain about Ben and his k@k attitude. Pointless venting it here IMHO.

@Mr Single Track: Was the mech who helped you (at Dunkeld) a white dredlocked fellow?

Edited by patches

Let me say upfront, I will never support Cycle Lab again.

Here is the story. I walked into Cycle Lab Fourways at 4:30pm last Friday with a brand new road bike that has done less than 100km. I asked the sales agent (he said his name is Ben) if someone can please assist me quickly as the cable (for my jockey) has stretched and I just need it to be adjusted, it should only take a few minutes. Ben told me that they cannot help me at that time since it would not take 5 minutes as my hanger is most probably bent and needs to be fixed which would take a long time to fix. I again explained to him that it is a new bike and that if the chance of it being cable stretch is 99%. I also explained to him that it is urgent as I was on my way out of town for a race on the weekend.

Ben told me that they will not assist me and should take it back to the shop where I bought the bike. Granted, I did not buy the bike at Cycle Lab but I could not take the bike back to the shop where I bought it as it is a couple of hours drive from Fourways and I needed urgent assistance. Ben just told me rudely that they will not assist me and that I can take my business somewhere else. I then told Ben, based on his rudeness and his recommendation, that I would in fact take my business elsewhere and that I would not support them again, to which he responded “thank you, please don’t come back again”.

Again, granted, I did not buy the bike from Cycle Lab. The sad thing is, I did however buy my Mountain Bike from cycle lab only a few months ago. In fact, I have spent somewhere between R70 000 to R80 000 over the last 6 months at Cycle lab. I visited their store at least once a week and all the staff there know that I am a regular customer (even Ben). So is this how cycle lab treat their regular customers? And BTW, I am also a member of their cycle club. Sure I guess my spend is only a drop in the ocean to them but frankly I expected more. I did not ask them to do it free of charge, I just needed someone to urgently assist me and I was more than willing to pay for the service.

I ended up driving through to Dunkeld Cycles at the last minute and they assisted me straight away (and I’ve never supported them before). And guess what, it took them less than 5 minutes to fix the cable stretch! Thanks Dunkeld Cycles for the friendly service, you will surely see me again.

Cycle Lab is obviously not dependable so I won’t waste my time there again.

I am on Ben's side here. Gear cables don't stretch. I hope part of his rudeness was pointing out your silly mistake?

I am on Ben's side here. Gear cables don't stretch. I hope part of his rudeness was pointing out your silly mistake?

PS - would love to hear Ben's side of the story...

Are you going on record with that comment? Gear cables don't stretch??!!

A NOOB with 2 posts comes and posts about bad service, surely if you are a member of the club, you know Andrew or his wife or some of the other staff, as you said yourself. To come and rant here, because of bad service tells me you have an ulterior motive. If you do not like the shop, take your money else where. Boo Hoo, you spend some money at the 'Lab, do es this now make you customer numero uno when you walk in, maybe they were busy with someone.

Yes we have freedom of speech, but what you are doing borders on slander and is the one side of the story. Would love to hear what Ben's take on this is and what attitude you had with him.

I have only had joy when going to the ' Lab and cannot for once believe this is what transgressed.... Grow a pair and take it up with Andrew.

Edited by Sammajoor

Cable stretch ..jockey....

Dude, you could have done the adjustment yourself in the time it took to load your bike - never mind travel time to go to CL

(Hard to believe how shops will sell to, or let some morons ride bicycles.)

CL should have charged you R200 bucks just for stupidity.

Are you going on record with that comment? Gear cables don't stretch??!!

Oh, I am. Happily. Must I get Ben to explain it?

:)

In fact, I have spent somewhere between R70 000 to R80 000 over the last 6 months at Cycle lab.

You want to know what I think?

I sincerely hope the comment about gear cables not stretching was made tongue in cheek...

Anyway, you should rather call a company called Chain Wizard, they come to you to do bike maintenance on your premises. Give Casper a call 083 508 6490 he really does give tip top service, and saves you having to traipse around to bike shops and deal with their shoddy service.

WOW, thats an informed statement right there??