Cycle Lab - Bad customer service

Mr SingleTrack

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely hope the comment about gear cables not stretching was made tongue in cheek...

Anyway, you should rather call a company called Chain Wizard, they come to you to do bike maintenance on your premises. Give Casper a call 083 508 6490 he really does give tip top service, and saves you having to traipse around to bike shops and deal with their shoddy service.

+1

Try that with your car and tell me what happens. Even with full motor plan, etc., etc.

1. Phone and check if they can assist.

2. Book a time slot.

After thought - clearly the shop you got the bike from did a crap setup and didn't pre-stress the cables.

looks like you got what you paid for.

you plan to ride this thing in a race?!?

what the hell you gonna do if something goes wrong, if you are so clueless as to how things work???

My 5 cents.

Thanks Andrew for stepping up.

Try that with your car and tell me what happens. Even with full motor plan, etc., etc.

1. Phone and check if they can assist.

2. Book a time slot.

After thought - clearly the shop you got the bike from did a crap setup and didn't pre-stress the cables.

looks like you got what you paid for.

you plan to ride this thing in a race?!?

what the hell you gonna do if something goes wrong, if you are so clueless as to how things work???

My 5 cents.

Thanks Andrew for stepping up.

Heaven forbid you ever need a rush job done :rolleyes:

Think a rant is only worthy after the owner / manager was contacted directly and if the problem was still not solved then you can come and voice you're opinion / rant on a public forum.

Everybody's employees messes up now and again.Just bring it to managements attention and it will be resolved 99,999% of the time with out this rant! :thumbdown:

Mr Single Track,

I apologies for this poor service! I have chatted to Ben to understand his side of the story. I understand what his reasoning was but

clearly his communication to you was poor.

Ben is Ugandan and his communication style and Vocab is is not always what we would like or expect of him. He does however have many other great qualities that many customers can vouch for.

Please contact me [andrew@cyclelab.com 0r 011 7074700] so I can apologies personally and make amends for this poor service.

Please in future contact me and I will guarantee I will sort out any issue long before it needs to go to a public forum.

Andrew McLean

P.S. Whether you are window shopping, spend R1 or a lot more you deserve great service!

Nice work!

Mudslinger, I mean zaslinger. Quite rough there. There are A LOT of cyclists out there who can't set their bike's gears. There are a lot of guys who can't blead brakes. I worked in a shop and even though we would offer a customer how to do it, MOST do not take us up on it. And of those who VERY few get it right and and the bulk forget what we showed them.

For a service, yes book. For an issue on 99 pop in. I agree, on your way there drop them a line. The biggest percentage of bikes sold across the world come with cheap cables - they stretch. Whether it's cables, or housing or the altitude in GP or whatever, shifting goes out. Yeah to fix it does take all of 5minutes tops, but if the guy can't do it or don't want to do it so be it. Doesn't mean his LBS is crap, doesn't mean his doomed for eternity when something does happen. And it certainly doesn't mean he should get stick for it.

It's just as easy to do an oil change on a car, how many of us do that? He has a choice to be trained how to, clearly he decided not to and for that there are some consequences. Now he's clueless, LBS is did a crap setup...

Think a rant is only worthy after the owner / manager was contacted directly and if the problem was still not solved then you can come and voice you're opinion / rant on a public forum.

Everybody's employees messes up now and again.Just bring it to managements attention and it will be resolved 99,999% of the time with out this rant! :thumbdown:

Yes.

Mr Single Track,

I apologies for this poor service! I have chatted to Ben to understand his side of the story. I understand what his reasoning was but

Ben is Ugandan and his communication style and Vocab is is not always what we would like or expect of him. He does however have many other great qualities that many customers can vouch for.

Please contact me [andrew@cyclelab.com 0r 011 7074700] so I can apologies personally and make amends for this poor service.

Please in future contact me and I will guarantee I will sort out any issue long before it needs to go to a public forum.

Andrew McLean

P.S. Whether you are window shopping, spend R1 or a lot more you deserve great service!

Nice Andrew. Good business ethic.

I will admit I am not a Cycle Lab regular but have purchased a bike from Ben and dealt with him on a few occasions since, never had an issue and always been helpful.

As for the amount being spent at the store, I have over the last year or spent a large amount at another store, I know everybody there by name and they know me by name. There is no way that after spending that amount of money at a single store that a relationship would not ave been established with somebody, who in a case like this would have stepped in or been approached for help.

If you spending this amount of money and not building a good relationship with the store staff, you shopping at the wrong store.

PS: this not a personal attach on the OP, I'm saying in general here.

What an @SS, so because he spends R70k and I spend R4 k, he gets better treatment than I do. So he is one of the few that drive around in a BIG 4X4 and expects every one to get out of his way, because he is in a hurry.

HOGWASH.. You walk into the shop and wait your turn.

Julias? You agent?

We should nationalizze all the cycle labs, viva!

Harsh, I know.

But how can you race if you are not prepared to learn to help yourself with the basics.

Yes, I know most don't / can't, but it doesn't mean its right.

If you go down and bend / break something, on any ride, do you just sit there or walk home?

Phone a friend?

Ruin the ride for the rest of your mates that must hang around and help?

Everyone should be able to do the basics, fix a flat, join a chain, adjust their gears and maintain their ride in a reasonable working order i.e. book it in for a regular service by those that really know.

How many times have you helped someone with no tools, no tube & no clue?

yes, everyone is a noob at some point and they are the ones we should all help, esp. the pretty ones.

For the rest of us, we owe it to ourselves & others to be capable, not clueless / helpless.

Mr Single Track,

Andrew McLean

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by Niner

Harsh, I know.

But how can you race if you are not prepared to learn to help yourself with the basics.

Yes, I know most don't / can't, but it doesn't mean its right.

If you go down and bend / break something, on any ride, do you just sit there or walk home?

Phone a friend?

Ruin the ride for the rest of your mates that must hang around and help?

Everyone should be able to do the basics, fix a flat, join a chain, adjust their gears and maintain their ride in a reasonable working order i.e. book it in for a regular service by those that really know.

How many times have you helped someone with no tools, no tube & no clue?

yes, everyone is a noob at some point and they are the ones we should all help, esp. the pretty ones.

For the rest of us, we owe it to ourselves & others to be capable, not clueless / helpless.

I hear you, and I even agree. But there are a lot of people doing this for fun. Like there are people playing golf for fun and don't take the time to hone their swing, chip or put. They are doing it to be out there for the love and fun of it.

It’s great to see so many comments on my post. Sorry it is a bit difficult to answer all of them as it would take me all day...

No, I have nothing to gain from this post. Yes I did speak to the manager right there and then and told him how the matter was handled. Sure, any story has 2 sides, imho I was not rude. You are welcome to ask Ben his side of the story if you like. And I am not insulting Andrew in any way. He is a far better cyclist than what I’ll ever be. Also Andrew cannot take the blame every time someone somewhere scr#ws up. It is unfortunate that this gets associated to the brand when it is one individual that caused it, I guess that is how it goes.

You are welcome to call me a noob; and yes I am sure most of you would have been able to fix the problem yourself, does that mean that I need to have this skill or am not allowed to get assistance with it? Would these bike services even exist if everybody could fix everything on their own? Sure, the money spent at the store does not grant me the right to be helped before anyone else, but then again this was not the issue. To the comment about the big 4 x 4 that I drive (or any expensive car for that matter), sorry dude, it’s not the case, not even close... and I did not go into a rant at the store about money as suggested....

Sorry, I guess it was wrong to mention Dunkeld as it is not about comparing the shops but rather to point out that I got bad customer service and that another shop was glad to assist me without any hassles.

The comments thus far is very amusing, I have to say I did not know this is such a hot topic. You are welcome to assume anything you like, but know that I described the event exactly as I experienced it.

PS- I just read Andrew’s post. Thank you Andrew, I will give you a call shortly. And for those of you that are wondering, I will e calling Andrew only to discuss this matter, not to gain anything else from it.