Cricket......

E1A104

And with an average of 42 in tests, he'll hold down a spot in any test side at present, captain or not.

His highest score in 13 Tests was only 73 with an average of 32.33

I suppose it didn't matter what you score if you have Pollock, Richards, Barlow etc coming in after you ^_^

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His highest score in 13 Tests was only 73 with an average of 32.33

I suppose it didn't matter what you score if you have Pollock, Richards, Barlow etc coming in after you ^_^

I was actually talking about Faf's average.

I was actually talking about Faf's average.

he is on a downward slide according to the ESPN profile. Testing batting average during last 13 matches is only 25.11. His average from 2014 till today is 33.44, and from 2013 till now its 35.28. Including results from 2012 pushes his average what you stated as world class.

I'm afraid, his current average rests upon results achieved over 4 years ago. That doesn't sound like world class to me.

Edited by Capricorn

he is on a downward slide according to the ESPN profile. Testing batting average during last 13 matches is only 25.11. His average from 2014 till today is 33.44, and from 2013 till now its 35.28. Including results from 2012 pushes his average what you stated as world class.

I'm afraid, his current average rests upon results achieved over 4 years ago. That doesn't sound like world class to me.

If you take the results put from those shocker-pitches in India last year it reads very differently. Stats can be manipulated to tell the story you want it to.

He compares very well against say Jonty Rhodes who only averaged in the mid 30's in Test cricket, and who is considered a cricketing hero in the SA game. Jonty batted 5 / 6 for most of his career.

If you take the results put from those shocker-pitches in India last year it reads very differently. Stats can be manipulated to tell the story you want it to.

He compares very well against say Jonty Rhodes who only averaged in the mid 30's in Test cricket, and who is considered a cricketing hero in the SA game. Jonty batted 5 / 6 for most of his career.

if the pitch is the question, then it affects everyone equally, unless they just have better batting talents. It doesn't change the fact the bulk of his runs came in the distant past. There's no data manipulation to suit a particular perspective, and no need to suggest that's the case. A rather strange argument to use.

Faf is the first captain that I've seen that regularly kisses his sweaty bowlers....

Like it

Hope he stays around in the role

agreed. whatever he is doing, seems to be pulling the team together nicely. lots to love about recent results across different formats. :thumbup:

I dont follow this thread often enough but I really really hope they continue to leave AB and hit around the park Morkel out of the team. We have a great team at the moment, and the team seems to be getting on perfectly

if the pitch is the question, then it affects everyone equally, unless they just have better batting talents. It doesn't change the fact the bulk of his runs came in the distant past. There's no data manipulation to suit a particular perspective, and no need to suggest that's the case. A rather strange argument to use.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/44828.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting

here are some other interesting stats:

He averages 73 in Aus

He averages 53 against the aussies

His average for 2016 is 41

His average for 2015 is 16, which includes 8 innings on very questionable pitches (which skews it in my view, but not yours?)

He averages 58 batting at 6.

Well done Proteas! Lekker seeing the Aussies hurt.. We sure know that feeling!

I've said it before, I'm not a big fan of Faf. His batting alone doesn't always warrant his spot in the national sides. And when he bats with a strike rate of -10 I want to crap in my pants. BUT as a captain he's doing really well. 

What I would do is bring back AB and move Faf down the order to 5 or 6. Drop Duminy. Yes he scored a great 100 in Aus, but those runs are becoming very few and far between. His wicket taking even more so. 

And for those saying AB should be left out... The guy averages 50 in tests and 54 in ODI's. People often argue about whether he or Virat Kohli is the best batsmen in the world. He's also one of the best fielders around. How do you even consider leaving out a player like that???

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/44828.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting

here are some other interesting stats:

He averages 73 in Aus

He averages 53 against the aussies

His average for 2016 is 41

His average for 2015 is 16, which includes 8 innings on very questionable pitches (which skews it in my view, but not yours?)

He averages 58 batting at 6.

Supports my thought of moving him down the order when AB comes back. 

My team would be:

Cook, Elgar, Amla, AB, Bavuma, Faf ©, De Cock, Philander, Abbot, Rabada, Morkel/the new spin guy

Then you still have Rilee waiting for another chance, Steyn when/if he comes back after injury and the new Pretorius guy

This group can go far!

Supports my thought of moving him down the order when AB comes back. 

My team would be:

Cook, Elgar, Amla, AB, Bavuma, Faf ©, De Cock, Philander, Abbot, Rabada, Morkel/the new spin guy

Then you still have Rilee waiting for another chance, Steyn when/if he comes back after injury and the new Pretorius guy

This group can go far!

JP has been playing well lately though. It would be a pity to drop him, but someone is going to miss out. It would mean that if JP is gone, that more reliance will be placed on the 5 bowler role by Elgar / Bavuma, who both are very part-time. If Amla / AB is willing to open with either Cook or Elgar, it leaves a gap for that 5th bowler.

Faf, Faf, fffffff***. This is just so stupid. You gotta know they are watching u like a hawk, especially when u have been caught before.

The Aussies will clutch at anything right now to take the focus off their crumbling team. The Convenor of selectors stepped down, with more heads to roll surely...

JP has been playing well lately though. It would be a pity to drop him, but someone is going to miss out. It would mean that if JP is gone, that more reliance will be placed on the 5 bowler role by Elgar / Bavuma, who both are very part-time. If Amla / AB is willing to open with either Cook or Elgar, it leaves a gap for that 5th bowler.

yeah Duminy is handy as a part time bowler. But he hasn't been used much lately. Although Faf seems to use him more than AB did. My point was just if he isn't going to be used as an extra bowler, then his batting doesn't warrant his place in the team. One 100 shouldn't cement any persons spot for the next 10 years. 

And if you don't drop Duminy, who else do you drop when AB comes back? I suspect either cook or elgar will get the chop with Amla opening again?