Cricket......

E1A104

But 2 tests does not a series make! Sod this 20/20 bubblegum cricket crap!

Edited by Delgado

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But 2 tests does not a series make! Sod this 20/20 bubblegum cricket crap!

Yeah, where's the 5 test series? With the classic back to back Boxing day and New Year tests?

• 4 weeks later...

Test 1 with visiting 'Lankans:

IMPRESSIVE :clap:

Vernon Philander continued his remarkable start to Test cricket, taking his third successive five-wicket haul.

He is the first South African to achieve this feat, playing in his first three Test matches.

• 2 weeks later...

Rant on:

We have very serious problems with our batting. 3 batting collapses in 4 tests, at home nogal. If we fold like that on a good pitch against the Sri-Lanka attack (2 ok-ish bowlers and a spinner that does not turn it much), we are going to get slaughtered by England in their home conditions.

Perhaps time to make a bold move and drop Smith, Rudolph, Kallis, Prince and Boucher, and start building a new team?

:devil:

Rant off.

Edited by Christie

Rant on:

We have very serious problems with our batting. 3 batting collapses in 4 tests, at home nogal. If we fold like that on a good pitch against the Sri-Lanka attack (2 ok-ish bowlers and a spinner that does not turn it much), we are going to get slaughtered by England in their home conditions.

Perhaps time to make a bold move and drop Smith, Rudolph, Kallis, Prince and Boucher, and start building a new team?

Rant off.

I agree with you Boucher is long past his sell by date, Rudolph just cant cut it at the highest level and what was Prince thinking with that reverse sweep when you team is in so much trouble.

Rant off.

Good call. They should have started dropping the geriatrics a couple of seasons ago and started bringing new guys in before we got to a point of having to can half the team in one go.

Did anyone read all the furore about the JugCam? Heck, that was funny! :lol:

Although, any time the camera is on Biff, it's a MoobCam… :o

Raining properly here today so not sure how much play we will see. That might just save us. I was at the ground on day 1, seemed like an easy wicket to bat on. Just how we managed to toss it like that I'm not sure. Hope Gary can sort these ous out before we go to England.

Raining properly here today so not sure how much play we will see. That might just save us. I was at the ground on day 1, seemed like an easy wicket to bat on. Just how we managed to toss it like that I'm not sure. Hope Gary can sort these ous out before we go to England.

It needs to rain for 2 days to save it for us, still plenty of time to go. Their spinner will be a real threat on day 5. Sad that we need to hope for bad weather - perhaps a loss would be a good wake-up call.

Re how they collapsed again, some comments that stood out from the SS commentators:

Our batsmen does not leave wider balls. Case in point De Villiers' dismissal. It was so wide he was on his knees to play at it.

Second thing was that they tend to play of the back foot or with little foot movement. Both Kallis and Amla got dismissed in identical ways. Commentators reckoned that they should rather go forward more to counter the small bit of movement there was.

It looks as if some journalists are thinking along the same lines:

news24.com

To expand a bit on this - what happens when the team "chokes"? It usually means a batting collapse in a knock-out game. This have been done repeatedly by the list I mentioned previously (with the exception of Rudolph). A revamped batting line-up may fix that problem, too.

I think the bowling unit is looking good for test cricket, no need to tamper too much there. Biggest problem is when Kallis retires, who will be the 5th bowler?

Somewhere else in the cricketing world:

I really enjoy the current tussle between India & Oz.

Great commentary and two well matched teams.

---

About the Proteas:

• Bouch the Pouch must find an understudy soon and take him to England for some of the warm up and practice matches.

• I enjoy the lower order batting value of Steyn.

• Who is the next true all rounder after legend Kallis? Big question.

• JP Duminy is a valuable off spinner, alongside his batting talent, and too well influenced by the shorter game in his stroke choice. Tch!

• Really prefer the opener that was benched for Rudolph - wazz his name again?

Kallis types don't grow on trees they're more of a once in a generation. will be pretty impossible to replace ala McGrath, Warne.....

Kallis types don't grow on trees they're more of a once in a generation. will be pretty impossible to replace ala McGrath, Warne.....

100%, on batting alone it will take some time to replace him!

One of only 4 players in the history of the game that has scored more than 12000 test runs and he has the hightest avg of those 4!!

Like you said...they don't just grow on trees!!

I don't watch domestic cricket that much...any young up and coming batsman out there that could fill the gap he will leave?

Edited by nochain

Somewhere else in the cricketing world:

I really enjoy the current tussle between India & Oz.

Great commentary and two well matched teams.

---

About the Proteas:

• Bouch the Pouch must find an understudy soon and take him to England for some of the warm up and practice matches.

• I enjoy the lower order batting value of Steyn.

• Who is the next true all rounder after legend Kallis? Big question.

• JP Duminy is a valuable off spinner, alongside his batting talent, and too well influenced by the shorter game in his stroke choice. Tch!

• Really prefer the opener that was benched for Rudolph - wazz his name again?

Alviro Peterson. Look to see him and Duminy in the reckoning for Newlands test. Boucher/Smith dropping Sanga on 3 looking a bit costly now. Can't believe they have played so much today. Pouring with rain outside my office now.

Oz knocked over India in the 4 test series.

1 - 0.

Great game.

And Sachin delivered another great batting performance in both innings.

---

Hmmm... The 'Lankans are smelling blood in the water now.

Game over, Proteas. Nearly there.

Kallis gone!

Will be spending one day @ Newlands for, possibly and most likely, the deciding test.

Gonna be a tense affair.

*Some where else, to think that Mickey Arthur is now the coach to Australia. :blink: