Cricket......

E1A104

I'm lost for words and can only think of:

pathetic

appalling

disgusted

losers

chokers (although this is not a one day game, they've done it again - can't handle the pressure)

Oh, and I smell a rat, it's name is called match fixing. Maybe not everyone, but certainly the top order.

Maybe I'm not a loyal supporter, but it's hard when you have a [insert your own descriptive words here] for a captain.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to cut some old (dead) wood and bring in some new players? Sure, the new guys will lose a game or two, but they have a valid excuse.

Who selects the cricket team? They should be fired, and if cap'n fatty had any pride, he'd offer his resignation.

I feel sorry for Jacques Rudolph as he definately has the talent and has scored tons of runs recently. Think he is just a bit out of form.

Prince has grown bigger than the game (refer to the ball tampering incident recently Warriors/Knights as well as that he was openly upset in the media when they chose him as a makeshift opener a season or two back - talk about being a team player)

Kallis maybe needs to give up the ball, get down to earth a bit more and focus on his batting only and not dating a different model every 2 weeks :blink:

Oh and we desperately need a new wicket keeper............

Need more energy!

Cricket is a form game so why not pick form players.... A guy like Dean Elgar could have gotten a massive boost playing in these test instead of a guy like Jacques Kallis who has contributed absolutely nothing with ball or bat. And it wasnt difficult to predict it after his form against Auz.

Yes he is a class player when on form. So let him play local cricket and regain that form?

Garfield! You can't butter your toast on both sides and eat it to!

Ok, firstly, I'm also very disappointed in the way the boys played the second test. They have all the talent so it must be their heads.

But back to your post - how can you contradict your own opinion?! You say that both Rudolph and Kallis are not scoring runs, but the former is due to him not having form, but the latter must be dropped or make certain sacrifices. Even Kallis can have a loss of form (but check the averages below). Double standards. Then you mention that cricket is about form, contradicting your own Rudolph view.

A few stats from cricketweb with the batting average in the last 10 tests and one days:

Smith: 36.7 / 26.3

Kallis: 123.4 (incl. 3 NOTs) / 37.0 (and not taking into account his bowling which is a bonus for a top 5 batter)

Rudolph: 27.2 / 23.7 (incl. 1 NOT)

I don't know that much about cricket, but it is a game of stats which is easily available, and sometimes we shoot from the hip without checking the stats. I'll much rather keep Smith and Kallis and drop Rudolph. Smith is one of our best batsmen, but he does seem to have a negative influence on the team so I don't know how you balance that? Coaching? Hopefully Kirsten can stand up to him.

I agree however with you on Prince. But dare I say it - he is there because of his colour?

Hi Andy. It just feels like Rudolph is on the brink. Against auz he showed signs of brilliance. I like him cause he is a match winner and bats quite quickly when on song. I believe Kallis is much more out of form then R.

In any case Alviro git a ton in local cricket yesterday so he should play the next test.

Smith should step down as captain.

Prince ran out Amla. It was Amlas call and he ran to the danger end. Prince should have sacrifised his wicked once he saw Amla in trouble but nooooo, mr cricket decided he wanted a lekker bat!

Rumours on News24 that Smith will step down. I'm holding thumbs it is true :thumbup:

Smith mentioned this morning that he will remain captain as long as selectors want him.

Team for Newlands:-

1. Smith

2. Alviro (Got 100+ 2 days back)

3. Amla

4. Colin Ingram (got 140 2 days back)

5. AB de Villiers

6. Ryan Mclaren (also made plenty of runs and is still batting in current game)

7. Johan Botha

8. Dale Steyn

9. Vernon Philander

10. Morne Morkel

11. Marchant de Lange

AB can keep. Drop Boucher, Prince, Rudolph and Kallis.

You have 5 quality bowlers plus Mclaren as backup. You have 5 quality Batsmen + 3 for backup. Johan Botha has turned into a very good batsmen these days. Philander needs to work on his batting.

Bud, Kallis is one of the greatest cricketers of all time. He has an average just shy of 60 in 150 tests. This pair he got in the last test was his first ever. Dropping him would be idiotic... especially for a test on his home ground.

Bud, Kallis is one of the greatest cricketers of all time. He has an average just shy of 60 in 150 tests. This pair he got in the last test was his first ever. Dropping him would be idiotic... especially for a test on his home ground.

So while we are at it why not bring Peter Kirsten out of retirement as he was also a good batsmen a few years back.

Kallis cannot buy a run on PRESENT form. Send him back to regain confidence and choose form players - cricket is a game of form. Kallis also does not contribute with the ball at THE MOMENT.

I cannot understand why we always hope a batsmen will "play" himself into form. That is what local cricket is for.

Sure he is a great player with great stats but lets look at how we can win the series here and now.

They will probably pick him for obvious reasons so let's wait and see. I hope he proves me wrong. We cannot afford another test with deadwood in the batting line up. The same goes for Prince.

I cannot understand why we always hope a batsmen will "play" himself into form. That is what local cricket is for.

Disagree, local cricket is rubbish at best and sacrilegious to call it 1st class. Hence why many fail when the step up is made to TEST arena where competitors show no mercy nor hold any respect to local politicking and non merit selections.

Disagree, local cricket is rubbish at best and sacrilegious to call it 1st class. Hence why many fail when the step up is made to TEST arena where competitors show no mercy nor hold any respect to local politicking and non merit selections.

You are obviously correct. That must be why Vernon Philander and Marchant de Lange (as examples) had those absolute shockers since they have been included in the national setup :thumbup: . Get rid of them now and forever play the same guys and hope they come right on the day (or rather one day). :clap:

Reminds me of another national captain with almost the same name with the same strategy and see what happened there.............. ;)

Look again, there are plenty of talent in the local teams.

Edited by Garfield2010

You are obviously correct. That must be why Vernon Philander and Marchant de Lange (as examples) had those absolute shockers since they have been included in the national setup. Get rid of them now and forever play the same guys and hope they come right on the day (or rather one day).

Reminds me of another national captain with almost the same name with the same strategy and see what happened there..............

Look again, there are plenty of talent in the local teams.

Quite correct but the trick is for Philander & de Lange to do a top job consistently and over a long period of time, then we will measure them. I remember a huge fuss some 2 years back being made about Duminy being the next Botham, Flintoff, Pollock or whatever and suddenly he's not the flavour anymore.

I went to watch a provincial 4 dayer recently and the pool to select from is still sadly lacking barring a handful (for Test level I'm referring). I would confortably pad up to face many that I saw. Certainly would never have said that of Hanley, Le Roux, Van Der Bijl, Jeffries et al

Same topic different direction...(I'm not going to to pretend to be a selector :P )

I hate it when tests finish a day or 2 or 3 early, wouldn't it be great if the teams could continue on the other days by playing maybe another game i.e. 50 over or heaven forbid even a few 20 20's?

Owbout?

Same topic different direction...(I'm not going to to pretend to be a selector :P )

I hate it when tests finish a day or 2 or 3 early, wouldn't it be great if the teams could continue on the other days by playing maybe another game i.e. 50 over or heaven forbid even a few 20 20's?

Owbout?

Agree..... Or the losing team must do an 8 hour fitness session on the 5th day. I would enjoy sitting in the sun watching some of our more overweight friends running around a bit............. I would even pay to see it.

Quite correct but the trick is for Philander & de Lange to do a top job consistently and over a long period of time, then we will measure them. I remember a huge fuss some 2 years back being made about Duminy being the next Botham, Flintoff, Pollock or whatever and suddenly he's not the flavour anymore.

I went to watch a provincial 4 dayer recently and the pool to select from is still sadly lacking barring a handful (for Test level I'm referring). I would confortably pad up to face many that I saw. Certainly would never have said that of Hanley, Le Roux, Van Der Bijl, Jeffries et al

They have already reduced the number of franchises so I am not sure what else they can do. Perhpas there are too many guys playing county cricket?

Bring back the old 4 month tours when you take 25 guys along with plenty of games.