Member Pictures: You and/or Your Bike

Matt

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel, I admire riders like you who do downhill racing and all that hectic stuff. I will be too s h i t scared that I might break bones.

Nigel, I admire riders like you who do downhill racing and all that hectic stuff. I will be too s h i t scared that I might break bones.

We are all just as scared - you just push yourself to your own limits - thats the beauty with DH ... its just You and the Clock - nothing else matters ... you push as hard as you feel comfortable with ... at a provincial level you dont even have to get your wheels off the ground at all ... You may not believe me but its actually really easy at a Provincial level and you can ride it all on an XC bike - its a great way to build up your confidence and skills for XC!

We are all just as scared - you just push yourself to your own limits - thats the beauty with DH ... its just You and the Clock - nothing else matters ... you push as hard as you feel comfortable with ... at a provincial level you dont even have to get your wheels off the ground at all ... You may not believe me but its actually really easy at a Provincial level and you can ride it all on an XC bike - its a great way to build up your confidence and skills for XC!

Yes, I might sort of be forced into this as my boy is really starting to push me down the faster and technical singletracks. I can't let him win his old man. Well, not for another year at least.

100%! And the thing is, the technical skill comes over time. For some it comes quickly, for others slowly... but if you carry on riding, you WILL get better (as long as you don't only do jeeptrack)

Yes, I might sort of be forced into this as my boy is really starting to push me down the faster and technical singletracks. I can't let him win his old man. Well, not for another year at least.

I got my father in law into DH just to help his XC skills ...

I bought back my OLD DH bike from the late 1990's for R3000k and gave it to him as a Christmas present with some old kit (see pic of him in white helmet)

Now 3 years down the line he has gotten WAY better at all his riding - and has bought a proper DH bike and got 7th in his Category at Worlds ... he can even jump now (not big ... but Properly! - with the correct style and posture) ...

And he started when he was 49! .... So anything is possible

With your youngster - maybe it would also be good if you both try it together in the "Sports" class that many of the DH events have - choose your event wisely (the CT guys on here can help you decide the track best suited to your skills) and then go and do a fun race with the laaitie ...

I will guarantee the bug will bite - and it will help you both with your riding

post-16861-0-73891800-1383657870_thumb.jpg

post-16861-0-26847500-1383657873_thumb.jpg

I see i've never added to this thread...i thought I had. Here's finishing this years sani.......with my collapsed fork

post-7169-0-17044100-1383678963_thumb.jpg

my and my Ghost, day 2 of B&B.. though you cant see too much of the ghost.. but it's there.. I promise.

Ag now where is the darn pic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I cleaned up the back of the van to prepare for the trip. Little Joli thought this was a good chance for her to claim a new "chill spot"

post-10758-1388398935,1916.jpg

Even after loading one, then two bikes, she still thought it was a good spot

post-10758-1388398996,1555.jpg

post-10758-1388399025,6708.jpg

Only after the third bike made its way in, did she decide to move...

post-10758-1388399072,7191.jpg

post-10758-1388399094,75.jpg

I cleaned up the back of the van to prepare for the trip. Little Joli thought this was a good chance for her to claim a new "chill spot"

post-10758-1388398935,1916.jpg

Even after loading one, then two bikes, she still thought it was a good spot

post-10758-1388398996,1555.jpg

post-10758-1388399025,6708.jpg

Only after the third bike made its way in, did she decide to move...

post-10758-1388399072,7191.jpg

post-10758-1388399094,75.jpg

Thanks for depressing me, I'm stuck in the office! Where you going to ride?

Archived