What watch are you wearing?

gummibear

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always had my Omega Speedmaster on, Limited. Moon to Mars #3700... Then I got a Garmin Fenix... :eek: Garmin FTW.

Funnily enough my wife and I were just saying yesterday how we miss wearing 'real' watches... ????????‍♂️

Funnily enough my wife and I were just saying yesterday how we miss wearing 'real' watches... ????????‍♂️

That's why I'm trying to motivate myself to get points by riding, as I can't wait to get the Garmin off and wear a decent watch..

I only wear mechanical with an odd quartz in between.

I have enough issues with always having a phone beeping nearby, really don't need my wrist beeping at me too!

I only wear mechanical with an odd quartz in between.

I have enough issues with always having a phone beeping nearby, really don't need my wrist beeping at me too!

Whats the difference between a mechanical and Quartz movement watch ?

I think I've also read about russian movement but might be confusing something else here 

I think I've also read about russian movement but might be confusing something else here

I associate mechanical with a self winding or manually wound mechanically powered watch vs a battery operated watch.

As #the nerd says, you basically get three types of watch movements, automatic (no battery, self-winding), manual (no battery but which you have to wind every few days depending on power reserve) or quartz which runs off battery...there is also solar out on the fringe but that is just the power system to drive a quartz.

Regarding the movement itself , there are hundreds of movements out there, some you will find in a wide range of watches eg ETA, the biggest Swiss manufacturer, others are in-house such as Rolex/Patek Philippe ie brands who build their own. So the Russians watch-makers also have their own like Raketa, Poljot, Vostok.

Then you have the Seiko Spring drive movement that uses both quartz and automatic.

9R

Spring Drive

Spring Drive is a unique watch technology. It generates energy like every other luxury mechanical watch but combines this with an electronic regulator to deliver a level of precision that no mechanical watch can match.

The development of Spring Drive was possible because Grand Seiko is one of the very few manufacturers with mastery of both electronic and mechanical watchmaking.

8771822ac37aa1bfb1560008f6f3fc78.jpg

Edited by gummibear

Then you have the Seiko Spring drive movement that uses both quartz and automatic.

9R

Spring Drive

Spring Drive is a unique watch technology. It generates energy like every other luxury mechanical watch but combines this with an electronic regulator to deliver a level of precision that no mechanical watch can match.

The development of Spring Drive was possible because Grand Seiko is one of the very few manufacturers with mastery of both electronic and mechanical watchmaking.

8771822ac37aa1bfb1560008f6f3fc78.jpg

Those GS movements are unreal, the sweep of the spring drive is mesmerising, grail right there..

To be fair seiko have kind of led the Swiss on for many years. They always kept the best models for their own market and rarely let the Swiss get ahead. GS is up there with the greats in terms of quality and finishing.

I bought a Tissot PRC 200 quite a few years ago and it's been lying in my cupboard for a long time. I have the original metal strap and a inexpensive brown leather strap. It's in condition but needs a new battery. I can't recall what I paid for it but think it was over R2k. I'm considering selling it. Would anyone perhaps be interested. I seem to have misplaced the original box

someone contacted me via pm enquiring about my watch but i can't find the message. If you contacted me please pm again. Thanks

someone contacted me via pm enquiring about my watch but i can't find the message. If you contacted me please pm again. Thanks

Was me, if you're on A PC enter any forum (like this one) then look at the top right hand corner of the screen theres a tiny envelope icon.

Message should be in there.

If you're on mobile,enter a thread and then click 'desktop site)' at the bottom of the page then go to the topright hand side and you should see the envelope as well

This is due to the message systems now being split in two for the classifieds and forums

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I got the watch from fellow hubber Glenn

Now i neeed to get it a new battery , can any shop do this or do i have to go to someone who does tissot specifically ?

MY one other "fancy" watch is A 12 year old citizen eco drive that has never stopped working 

post-46013-0-15491000-1616605916_thumb.png