Tokai: Trail closure

(Deon)

Just to notify all Tokai users that the unapproved set of trails on the south side, closer to the Arboretum and exiting above the Faerie Garden, are now closed. You will see signs have been erected prohibiting cycling with "no horse riding" signs to follow this week. More signs will be erected at entry and exit points but rehabilitation and erosion prevention has already started. I urge everyone to please respect the closure.

The mapped trails will continue to undergo regular maintenance and re-routing where required. Please look out for volunteer build dates, your help is always needed and greatly appreciated by all who ride Tokai.

Thanks for your understanding.

Deon

AMA TokaiMTB

EDIT: I have edited the original post as it seems many do not know what an environmental management plan (EMP) is, so to save on some confusion for the purpose of this thread, it has been removed..

EMP in short:

The EMP is the model on which mountain biking in SANParks managed land is based. It is a study of every aspect of mountainbiking and will be developed with the growing numbers and needs of mountainbikers in Cape Town...

Edited by Pain or Shine

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The trails... They were not part of the original EMP for tokai, and had to be closed for that reason, amongst others.

Please don't ride them anymore. It really will dampen the relationship between us and sanparks.

Deon

Can you indicate the positions of the trails more or less - I don't know the horse trails in Tokia. Would be good to make sure, don't want to blinded by beautiful loamy single track and then blinded by a swift hoof to the helmut a moment later...

Shot!

Erm... They are the ones that end up at the top of faerie garden, and start just down the fire road from dh1. You won't miss them now, cos they have no entry signs as the trail heads and the features have been dug out (de-bermed) and the trail heads/tails have been blocked off with branches and rocks.

"the continued negotiations with TMNP and the promise of a mountain bike specific environmental management plan soon to be produced"

Hi there, saw the thread now and the signs earlier this aft, sad to have to turn around.

Are you able to give any indication if the TMP EMP is a public participation process and if so where one can find out info about it. It does seem that TMP have been full of promises for years and produced very little other then raising the entrance fees.

thanks

It does seem that TMP have been full of promises for years and produced very little other then raising the entrance fees.

Agreed!

Remember when it was R2.50 to ride at Tokai. haha.

Remember when it was R2.50 to ride at Tokai.

Yes, but I always wonder how many of the people riding there at the moment actually have valid wild cards or really pay at the gate every time! Methinks too many don't pay and don't help to build, but are very willing to complain! (Not aimed at you Simon.)

Bit sad really. Been riding those trails for a couple years on and off and they are awesome. Managed to keep them hush hush for a long time till the last few months. Suddenly all the hidden entrances were opened and there are skidmarks all over the roads. Put a lot of effort into those trails but anyway...

Dont think anybody will argue about paying to get in at Tokai, although I do think for schoolkids and those less fortunate the cost is becoming prohibitive, R35 is a lot for some people and it brings me to my main point which is that the mountain was always free to use, much like our beaches. With the handing of the custodianship thereof to SANParks the costs have increased, but the management in respect of mtb has not kept pace with this.

The last time they seem to have done anything constructive to consider mtb's as a key recreational sport on the Table Mtn chain/ peninsula was 2002 according to their website. Since then next to nothing in terms of advancing the facilities available for mtb, and yet I would argue that mtb is of the highest contributors to revenue.

The irony of was brought home a couple of weeks ago when I saw three very overweight rangers chasing after 6 downhill guys about the enter the Glen - they cant catch the muggers, but they sure can catch a couple of guys on bikes who are riding there because there are so few alternatives.

To me it really is a management issue - it doesnt help to have a go at the ranger for telling you where you can and cant ride or the fact that it took them a year to post a wildcard - to me its the management of the TMNP and Sanparks in general who should give some idea as to how they are going to advance the use of mtb's on the peninsula.

If we think it cant be done, Sanparks should be embarassed by what TygerbergMTB have achived with Majik Forest, Hillcrest, Contermans and Meerendal.

I am keen to get involved - but just dont know how to get some info.

Guest Omega Man

My Thoughts.

It's sad that the illegal trails otherwise known as the Horse Trails got shut down. These little lines on the hill get shut down cos of "erosion" concerns when there are heavy machines making their own roads ripping the place apart less than 1km away. For me the problem is the hypocrisy on that mountain and for that matter all the land that seems to be under Sanparks management.

I've aired my views on this a number of times so this won't be news to Deon.

It costs R35 to ride there and 2000 people ride there per week. That's well over 3 million rand per year that we pay Sanparks to ride there.

WE then have to maintain the trails and Deon has to BEG to get build days and maintain trails that are already in place. It's just ridiculous.

Every time I ride at Tokai (2-3 times a week)I come out feeling a little sad. The few trails that there are are hardly maintained and I can't think of a single new piece of trail that's been built in the last 5 years. (diverts do not count as new trail) That mountain has SO much potential and it just seems to go backwards.

Disclaimer: I applaud Deon's (Pain or Shine) efforts in establishing the relationship with Sanparks and listening to me whine every time I see him.

Managed to keep them hush hush for a long time till the last few months. Suddenly all the hidden entrances were opened and there are skidmarks all over the roads. Put a lot of effort into those trails but anyway...

Don't think illegal trailbuilding helps the mtb cause here at all. Land belongs to Sanparks and we have to follow their rules. I'd like to think that it's possible for all parties to meet somewhere in the middle

Dont think anybody will argue about paying to get in at Tokai, although I do think for schoolkids and those less fortunate the cost is becoming prohibitive, R35 is a lot for some people and it brings me to my main point which is that the mountain was always free to use, much like our beaches. With the handing of the custodianship thereof to SANParks the costs have increased, but the management in respect of mtb has not kept pace with this.

it's still less than a tube, and compares to favourably to anything eles in the country. Of course profits are used to fund other parts of the park(and other parks) most of which is free.

If we think it cant be done, Sanparks should be embarassed by what TygerbergMTB have achived with Majik Forest, Hillcrest, Contermans and Meerendal.

fully agree, would be nice to get the big five wine estates into a collective system. i only see win-win in this sort of partnership

Every time I ride at Tokai (2-3 times a week)I come out feeling a little sad. The few trails that there are are hardly maintained and I can't think of a single new piece of trail that's been built in the last 5 years. (diverts do not count as new trail) That mountain has SO much potential and it just seems to go backwards.

as easy as it is to point fingers at the authorities it's as much our fault. There should probably be a tokai mtb club, an official organised lobby group would have got quite a lot further than the individuals who have been valiantly pushing our collective cause for so long.

Hi Steve, there is a group, it is the AMA representing Tokai specifically. The MTB working group made up of several bodies including the AMA represents the greater Cape Town area.

Tokai will not have a club system as it caters to the citizens of SA. To coin a phrase "A park for all"..