MTB wheelset upgrades

Hendrik vd Walt

Thanks for all the feedback.

What is the difference between the Flow and the Crest rims? Is the Flow more of a Downhill rim whereas the Crest more of a XC?

I'd be very careful going for Stans Crest. I have read of so many cracked rims that it astounds me they are even still selling them. Not sure if the issue is sorted, but if spending so much on rims I would want peace of mind that I am not going to sit with cracked rims every few months.

I have a set of Fulcrums which will be less than your budget and they are still in very good condition. I will even leave the tires on for you and top up the sealant.

Feel free to send me a pm

The Stans wheelset you're buying for the hubs, the rims will crack and the spokes are made of bloudraad.

That said, at 6.5k you're getiing rims, spokes and a build for R 1 500 more than the hubset. So just budget in a rebuild after a year and you're good to go. Hope hubs will outlive you.

I agree. The rims will crack within 15 months. The hubs however is bulletproof and easy to service and maintain. After 3 sets of Stans over 5 years I decided to take the custom build route, a good wheelbuilder is worth every penny.

I have the Flow MK3 on Hope from CWC. Awesome bombproof wheelset. Heavy. And the spokes are bloudraad. Will buy again considering the price.

I can second what other say about the hope hubs with stans rims. Hope hubs are excellent, can't rave about them more, easy to work on, reliable and really solid quality.

The stans crest rims are pretty soft so buy the wheelset and then save for few months, as you break the stans rims you can replace them with lyne rims or something like that.

Just want to hijack the thread quick...

I have WTB I29 ST wheels on Shimano MT400 and MT510 hubs, would that Stans+ Hope be worthwhile? Or would I just be spending money needlessly?

I have WTB I29 ST wheels on Shimano MT400 and MT510 hubs, would that Stans+ Hope be worthwhile? Or would I just be spending money needlessly?

Can never go wrong with Hope. Can’t comment on the rims though. Never used them.

The Lyne Amp wheels are really impressive though. The high engagement version sounds like an angry swarm of bees. Love it.

Just put an order in for these babies. Price and quality are sublime. The high engagement hub is brilliant and easy to maintain!

Can never go wrong with Hope. Can’t comment on the rims though. Never used them.

The Lyne Amp wheels are really impressive though. The high engagement version sounds like an angry swarm of bees. Love it.

Edited by keithbe

WTB i29 is a decent rim to start with.

WTB i29 is a decent rim to start with.

But the ST is the cheap-and-cheerful OE version. Eyeleted, pinned and sleeved (and heavy) where the KOM is welded and has no eyelets.

KOM i29 are pretty much my favourite rim at the moment, along with DT EX511.

But the ST is the cheap-and-cheerful OE version. Eyeleted, pinned and sleeved (and heavy) where the KOM is welded and has no eyelets.

KOM i29 are pretty much my favourite rim at the moment, along with DT EX511.

So worth an "upgrade" then?

Yeah, but complete wheelset only. Neither the hubs nor the rims will be worth the cost of rebuilding.

That said, those WTBs are strong. Heavy, but strong.