MTB Tyre Choices

patches

+1 for wider rims, especially to take advantahe of all these nice wide tyres that are available nowadays. An expensive upgrade to do on a current ride. But a shame on any bike manufacturer that still specs new "trail" bikes with 19mm rims.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome I will do so, thanks for the advice! I'm around 81kg full riding gear so just thought arch mk3 for weight wise would be ok but extra internal width makes more sense.

I've got the Mk3 Flows. Absolutely love them!!

+1 for wider rims, especially to take advantahe of all these nice wide tyres that are available nowadays. An expensive upgrade to do on a current ride. But a shame on any bike manufacturer that still specs new "trail" bikes with 19mm rims.

Yea i'm dying to try the 2.6 DHF! Got the bike (giant trance) start of last year so came with the 19mm stock giant rims. Must say they have held up pretty well but heavy as and 19mm is ridiculous. Cheers for the input 29mm flows hopefully soon! 

I've got the Mk3 Flows. Absolutely love them!!

Awesome thanks will most def head in that direction then! Read loads of great reviews. 

Yea i'm dying to try the 2.6 DHF! Got the bike (giant trance) start of last year so came with the 19mm stock giant rims. Must say they have held up pretty well but heavy as and 19mm is ridiculous. Cheers for the input 29mm flows hopefully soon!

If the wheels will go on a trance, flow mk3 for sure. Although I don't think the arch mk3s are in any way a bad choice, but 2.6" rubbers will just work better on the wider rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ended up with Ardent 2.4 up front! Next ride push is the monster!

Let us know your thoughts on the tyre ;)

Yup only seems to come in 3C/EXO/TR...

The Ardent 2.4 also shows 3C/EXO/TR on the local agents site but I am sure I have seen a few EXO/TR's floating around.

As you are not far from Kempton Park Dieter give Finish Line Cycles a call. They have a basket full of Ardents and I am sure it was in there that I saw an EXO/TR or two....that is if you are still looking at an Ardent  :P.

I am using the 2.4 with the standard trim 19mm ID rims and it is fine...probably would perform better with a slightly wider rim but it works ok for now and I only run it between 1.4 - 1.8bar lately.

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/maxxis-ardent-29er-exotr-29x24

I bought a set of these a few days ago together with Arch Mk3's... I won't be "reviewing" them though as I can guarantee they far exceed my limited technical skill.

Awesome stuff. Got a second front wheel and now have a DHF 2.3 for rough days and just tried out the Ardent Race 2.35 on the front for XC. You obv can't treat the Ardent Race like the DHF in corners and downhill and I run it round 22psi being good think higher will caus loss of traction on the uphills. Perfect fast round corners on flats and ups otherwise and much faster rolling. Question tho, anyone have an Ikon 2.35 rear? Ran mine the other day at 22 psi worked great and today tried 24/25psi and slipped all over the place with not such great results round corners. Riding xc sort of trails hard pack stuff round southern suburbs. Is it that sensitive to pressure?

Awesome stuff. Got a second front wheel and now have a DHF 2.3 for rough days and just tried out the Ardent Race 2.35 on the front for XC. You obv can't treat the Ardent Race like the DHF in corners and downhill and I run it round 22psi being good think higher will caus loss of traction on the uphills. Perfect fast round corners on flats and ups otherwise and much faster rolling. Question tho, anyone have an Ikon 2.35 rear? Ran mine the other day at 22 psi worked great and today tried 24/25psi and slipped all over the place with not such great results round corners. Riding xc sort of trails hard pack stuff round southern suburbs. Is it that sensitive to pressure?

I have Ardent lust 2.35 front and icon 2,35 3c rear.For my 100kg 1,7 Bar front 1,8 rear seems to be perfect 

I have Ardent lust 2.35 front and icon 2,35 3c rear.For my 100kg 1,7 Bar front 1,8 rear seems to be perfect

Thanks, I have the same Ikon in the rear, ran it round 22 psi the other day with the DHF and it felt great, today trying it at 25 ( I'm 80kg full kit) it slipped out on everything. Going to go down to 22 psi (1.5bar) and see should be much better! Was really impressed at lower pressure!

If the wheels will go on a trance, flow mk3 for sure. Although I don't think the arch mk3s are in any way a bad choice, but 2.6" rubbers will just work better on the wider rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, both would probably do great either way but as advice suggests wider the better and even if I was concerned about weight there is a small difference

Has anyone here used the FOREKASTER? I'm looking at the 2.35 (27.5) one thats comes in at 690?

Been having a blast changing tyres around and testing all of them. Did a 30km (700m elevation) XC ride this morning and ran the DHF 2.3 and the Ikon 2.35 rear. Ikon aired down to 22psi (weight with kit is 81kg) and it's perfect even after the small amount of rain we had. Thing is I want to run the 2.35 Ardent Race up front for XC which i'm loving in dry conditions but today it would have been a bit hectic up front in the wet. 

The DHF comes in at 870 and although i'm not counting each gram i'm not sure i'd want to take it on a ride say twice as long as today. Does need more power to run at the same speed as my last Ibex but wanting to try Maxxis for a change. 

Forekaster looks like it would be awesome up front in 2.35 just want to know how it is compared to the Ardent Race on one side and the DHF on the other. DHF being my fav so far. Also hard to find somewhere that sells that Forekaster even overseas....