MTB Tyre Choices

patches

47 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I'm not convinced wider is always better. Maybe up front but out back, my experience is the wider rim gets less protection from the tyre as there is  less tyre overlapping the rim eg with a 29mm ID rim and 2.4 tyre than when you're running say a 2.4 on a 22mm rim.  This is based on observation of rear rim damage on my two MTB's. The narrower rim is on a hardtail and takes a beating with far less rim damage than my long travel enduro bike with a 2.5 and 2.4 on a 29mm rim. I'm looking for a 25mm ID rim for my enduro bike...

I always thought it was weird that my enduro bike came specc'd from the factory with a 30mm ID rim on the front and a 25mm ID rim on the rear but reading this I guess it might be the reason.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

I'm not convinced wider is always better. Maybe up front but out back, my experience is the wider rim gets less protection from the tyre as there is  less tyre overlapping the rim eg with a 29mm ID rim and 2.4 tyre than when you're running say a 2.4 on a 22mm rim.  This is based on observation of rear rim damage on my two MTB's. The narrower rim is on a hardtail and takes a beating with far less rim damage than my long travel enduro bike with a 2.5 and 2.4 on a 29mm rim. I'm looking for a 25mm ID rim for my enduro bike...

I've got 22.5mm inner width rims and they're working hard with all the rocks that come their way. That's with 2.4 front, 2.35 rear. It's all superficial damage, but I certainly don't feel like they're getting any protection from the tires.

On 3/29/2022 at 3:18 PM, Super Sywurm said:

Imagine being in my shoes, I need to buy new car tires and mountain bike tires at the same time...

ALL THE CHOICES...

Add truck tires for me...

On 3/29/2022 at 12:31 PM, Stephan said:

There are no perfect tyres out there. 

I've used the following combos on my xc bike:

Spez Ground Control 2.3 front & Fast track 2.3 rear

Vittoria Barzo 2.35 front, Mezcal 2.25 rear

Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 front, Ikon 2.2 rear

Best value for money vs performance vs lifespan in my opinion is Maxxis. 

My opinion here is pointless-I think @stephan has the best summary. I ride Mezcals and Barzo too and would like to try the Pirelli's one day. Maxxis have always never worked for me (maybe mentally I have a block) but hear very good things. 

Pic below says nothing about them. 

No, really. 

image.png.814194fc22a8a668e096230b22e9099f.png

I have a cheapy hardtail that currently has Ardent 2.25" up front, with Ardent Race 2.20" at the back. Currently being used more for gravel grinding, with light trail use (nothing over blue). The problem I have is that the back tyre is a bit close to my chainstays, a bit of mud and I get some rubbing. Are there any actual available (In stock) tyres that are thinner than Ardent Race 2.20? The difference between actual and stated width on different brands are difficult to look up and test without the actual tyres. 

The front doe not have any clearance issues, can go up to 62 mm width, which is just more than 2.4". Will it make any difference to change to a wider tyre, or is my current plan to use up my Ardent, then fit my Ardent race okay to keep my face out of the dirt?

19 hours ago, Trashy said:

I've got 22.5mm inner width rims and they're working hard with all the rocks that come their way. That's with 2.4 front, 2.35 rear. It's all superficial damage, but I certainly don't feel like they're getting any protection from the tires.

Its all relative I suppose - what you experience might seem normal wear to me. I certainly didnt mean that my narrower rims are unscathed, just that they seem to get fewer serious dings in them than the other, wider rim. There are definitely many variables in the equation too, one of them being the type of rim material used. There is a massive difference in hardness between a cheap 6061 alloy rim and ones made from 6069 like a Stans and some of the WTB rims. 

23 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Its all relative I suppose - what you experience might seem normal wear to me. I certainly didnt mean that my narrower rims are unscathed, just that they seem to get fewer serious dings in them than the other, wider rim. There are definitely many variables in the equation too, one of them being the type of rim material used. There is a massive difference in hardness between a cheap 6061 alloy rim and ones made from 6069 like a Stans and some of the WTB rims. 

What are the two different rims you are running for interest sake?

As you say, not all rims are equal.

I've got DT Swiss which I would place on the higher side of the quality scale.

I'm interested in this because I've been noticing the high number of rocks hitting my rims recently and I've been considering putting wider rims on for increased tire stability.

Trashy, my HT has a Stans Flow on it and the Enduro a WTB i29 but one of the cheaper versions, so probably a lot softer metal than the Stans. The enduro was running a 2.5 aggressor and now has a 2.4 WTB tough casing tyre which is a lot stiffer than the Exo Maxxis. Funnily enough, the HT runs an Exo Ardent 2.4 out back without issues despite being used for similar trail riding. The answer is probably a strong rim like your DT and a tougher sidewall tyre out back. I'm not sure that a more stable tyre prevents rocks hitting rims but you may be right. 

I'm currently rideing 25mm ID rims with 2.35 Ardent Race in fron t and 2.25 Crossmark 2 on rear.

I have another Ardent Race 2,35 and an Ikon 2,35 new in cupboard and have heard that one can ride Ardent Race on the rear also.

I'm not sold on the Arden Race other than its light and steering is light.

Was considering:

1. Ardent Race Front & Rear

2. Ardent Race Rear, Crossmark 2 Front

3. Ardent Race Rear, Ikon Front

4. Leave as is

I ride mainly dry, sandy single track and virtually never mud and enjoy high speed twisties....

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

and wall thickness because weight

28 minutes ago, love2fly said:

I'm currently rideing 25mm ID rims with 2.35 Ardent Race in fron t and 2.25 Crossmark 2 on rear.

I have another Ardent Race 2,35 and an Ikon 2,35 new in cupboard and have heard that one can ride Ardent Race on the rear also.

Was considering:

4. Leave as is

I ride mainly dry, sandy single track and virtually never mud and enjoy high speed twisties....

Any suggestions?

I have finally opted (after reading "millions" (sure feels like it) of views and opinions.) I guess there is not exact right/wrong)
I have 25mm RIMS

2.35 Ardent Race Front (EXO/3C), 2.25 Rekon Race Rear (EXO). Total price R1230 for set (versus R1200 for one Schwalbe). OK - this is my LBS personal price for always supporting them. 

Now only time will tell. First time I will use this combo

8 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

I have finally opted (after reading "millions" (sure feels like it) of views and opinions.) I guess there is not exact right/wrong)
I have 25mm RIMS

2.35 Ardent Race Front (EXO/3C), 2.25 Rekon Race Rear (EXO). Total price R1230 for set (versus R1200 for one Schwalbe). OK - this is my LBS personal price for always supporting them. 

Now only time will tell. First time I will use this combo

My one concern about the Ardent Race up front is that it looks like it has something of a "Death Valley", being a gap between the mid side and the very edge. A few times I've lost the front in a corner thankfully to only have it grip again and my heart to end up in my teeth. I'm not sure if this is just me, but I'm keen on front confidence and the rear can slip a bit here and there to help the bike turn.

8 minutes ago, love2fly said:

My one concern about the Ardent Race up front is that it looks like it has something of a "Death Valley", being a gap between the mid side and the very edge. A few times I've lost the front in a corner thankfully to only have it grip again and my heart to end up in my teeth. I'm not sure if this is just me, but I'm keen on front confidence and the rear can slip a bit here and there to help the bike turn.

Ok sounds logical - but you also sound like someone that likes to descent with the pros 🤣

Me - I am just a mere mortal that prefers sound reasoning above being a kamikaze pilot. I prefer finishing in the mid bunch..and I am not on the lite side (88kg). Hope that this does not affect me. 

11 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Ok sounds logical - but you also sound like someone that likes to descent with the pros 🤣

Me - I am just a mere mortal that prefers sound reasoning above being a kamikaze pilot. I prefer finishing in the mid bunch..and I am not on the lite side (88kg). Hope that this does not affect me. 

I'm 100kg and suffer the climbs so I can have fun on the descents. I'm faster than many downhill but there are plenty racing snakes that will leave me for dust....But I feel that if I don't scare myself now and then I'm not having fun! 🙂 

3 hours ago, love2fly said:

Was considering:

4. Leave as is

Any suggestions?

Ardent or Forekaster on the front (negligible increase in rolling resistance and fantastic grip on loose over hardpack) - nice sideknobs for leaning into the twisties.

Rekon Race or Ardent Race on the rear

5 minutes ago, nonky said:

Ardent or Forekaster on the front (negligible increase in rolling resistance and fantastic grip on loose over hardpack) - nice sideknobs for leaning into the twisties.

Rekon Race or Ardent Race on the rear

Looked at Forekaster a while ago. Maybe time to relook that chapter. I have s brand new Ikon in the cupboard.   Would love to swap that somehow....