MTB Tyre Choices

patches

What front and rear tyres would you guys recommend for general trail riding?  I have to do a lot of tarmac riding to and from trails.  Trails are not that technical.  Looking for something light with reasonable puncture protection.  I use AC Wide Lightning wheels so tyres up to 2.25 is more than wide enough 

I would just put a  ground control (or similar from any manufacturer) front and back.

A tyre like a fast trak / icon on the back is all good and well for less rolling resistance but

- if it gets even a bit muddy they clog up and you have no grip and no traction

- if you hit a sandy section of trail you have much less traction

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi this may be slightly off topic:

I recently had MTB tubeless conversion done in Cape Town and sealant they used is Al's.

I have seen a comment on Bikehub that it is a bit thin - Can I just top it up with another sealant like Fuggit/Stan's etc or must the whole,lot be washed out??

• 3 weeks later...

Howzit okes

Whats your opinion on running the following on my carbon 29 inch hardtail?

Front - Racing ralph EVO snakeskins 2.25

Rear - Racing ralph EVO snakeskins 2.10

I ride tokai, stellenbosch and the durbanille winelands side.

Howzit okes

Whats your opinion on running the following on my carbon 29 inch hardtail?

Front - Racing ralph EVO snakeskins 2.25

Rear - Racing ralph EVO snakeskins 2.10

I ride tokai, stellenbosch and the durbanille winelands side.

No. 

F: Rocket Ron 2.25 Snakeskin or Spaz Ground Control 2.3 control casing Or Onza Canis 2.25 OR Maxxis Aggressor 2.4 EXO

R: Rocket Ron 2.25 Snakeskin or Spaz Ground Control 2.3 GRID casing or Onza Canis 2.25 FRC casing OR Maxxis Aggressor / Ikon 2.4 EXO

IMO the Racing Ralph should only be used in race situations on an XCO course with no rock and smooth manicured trails. 

WC trails are NOT that. 

Also - you don't want racing ralphs in winter in the cape. Or anywhere, for that matter. 

Been racing with Racing Ralphs for years all around the country with essentially no problems at all.

Front Ron;rear Ralph

Hey guys.

There's probably an answer for this question somewhere on here but i don't really feel like going through the last 20 pages or so to find it, so here goes...

What combo is better in terms of longevity, reliability and grip?

Vittoria Barzo 29x2.25 / Saguaro 29x2.2

OR

Onza Ibex 29x2.25 / Canis 29x2.25

Currently running Conti X-king 2.2 but they're just about worn through

Thanks

Myles with the Spaz and Onza- why the tougher casing on the back and not the front too?

No. 

F: Rocket Ron 2.25 Snakeskin or Spaz Ground Control 2.3 control casing Or Onza Canis 2.25 OR Maxxis Aggressor 2.4 EXO

R: Rocket Ron 2.25 Snakeskin or Spaz Ground Control 2.3 GRID casing or Onza Canis 2.25 FRC casing OR Maxxis Aggressor / Ikon 2.4 EXO

IMO the Racing Ralph should only be used in race situations on an XCO course with no rock and smooth manicured trails. 

WC trails are NOT that. 

Also - you don't want racing ralphs in winter in the cape. Or anywhere, for that matter. 

Myles with the Spaz and Onza- why the tougher casing on the back and not the front too?

You can, and if you ride hard and on the front in rocky terrain it's recommended. But mostly, the rear takes most of the weight in the corners and rocks etc. Whilst you can loft the front wheel to clear gnar, the rear often takes more of a beating. Generally speaking. 

Me - I'm a big bad casing front and back kinda guy. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Skinwall tyres? Yay or nay?

Are they truly the neck tattoo of the MTB world, as NicoBoshoff once said?

Only on a hipster fixie. Then you can match the taxis.

Just picked these up today. Maxis Ardent Race 29x2.35. It's going to replace the 2.2 Ikon I am running up front. Needed a more aggressive tyre up front for the loose over hard and small marble terrain on the trails I ride. So new combo will be ardent race 2.35 front and ikon 2.2 rear.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

this is not a troll but an honest question: does a more "aggressive" front tyre REALLY help in Gauteng conditions, viz. sand, pebbles, stones over hardpack?

Is there anything for the extra tread to actually grip on or dig into?