MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Oh crap ja then DEFINITELY the doubledown in Maxxis, 2.5 and nothing less than grid (preferably black diamond, which lands soon) and 2.6 in spaz.

Your riding buddies need to accept that you're not a weight weenie, and you need burly tyres cos well 120

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is roughly what most people run, but you are a bit heavy, so the added pressure might save you a sidewall cut.

Ill do that when it’s on. Thanks.

May i bother you with another newbie question then?

It says in the specs that it’s tubeless ready. Is that just the wheels or the tires too? It’s 29x2,3 ground control in front and 29x2,1 fast trak rear.

Was it necessary to buy new tires or could i just have converted them to tubeless by putting tape and slime in?

It says in the specs that it’s tubeless ready. Is that just the wheels or the tires too? It’s 29x2,3 ground control in front and 29x2,1 fast trak rear.

Was it necessary to buy new tires or could i just have converted them to tubeless by putting tape and slime in?

TR on the tyre refers to the tyre - they are tubeless compatible. Very few rims cannot be converted to tubeless. So no, it wasn't necessary to buy anything new. Just have the bike shop tape up the rims and put sealant in...

If they're 'wire bead', don't try convert them to tubeless. If not and it actually says TR on the tyre, the good news is that you now have 3 rear tyres. The rear tyres wear out 3 times faster and take all the abuse.

• 3 weeks later...

Continetal Mountain King 29x2.4 Pure Grip TL

Is this a decent front tire (good predictable grip while cornering)?

My riding is in the Stellenbosch (Jonkershoek / Simonsberg) area on gravel roads, single track.

I know little about tyres and especially for this type of riding but this thread is so amusing....when the OP states his weight, captain FB Mayhem and Greasemonkeys responses cracked me up

Continetal Mountain King 29x2.4 Pure Grip TL

Is this a decent front tire (good predictable grip while cornering)?

My riding is in the Stellenbosch (Jonkershoek / Simonsberg) area on gravel roads, single track.

They were. 6 years ago. Now, not so much. Tyre technology has really come a long way.

For jonkers / simons etc. Mary / DHF / DHR / Eliminator

• 2 weeks later...

Just swapped out my Barzo (f) and Mezcal ® for some Maxxis Aspen (f) and Rekon Race ®. For a faster and lighter combo, rode a small section of single track this morning and they handled perfectly. 

Just swapped out my Barzo (f) and Mezcal ® for some Maxxis Aspen (f) and Rekon Race ®. For a faster and lighter combo, rode a small section of single track this morning and they handled perfectly.

Personally, I'd not trust those tyres one little bit. Yeah they're fast, but they've got nowhere near the amount of grip or sidewall protection that I require.

Personally, I'd not trust those tyres one little bit. Yeah they're fast, but they've got nowhere near the amount of grip or sidewall protection that I require.

Weighing at just over 70kg and in the sharper end of the field, I think I can get away with it... This is for XCO/XCM though. Probably going to miss the grip a little when training in Giba though...

For featherweights who manage downhill efforts, I think you can get away with them. 

As everyday tyres, nah. The Aspen is almost a semi-slick. The Rekon Race is a bit more grippy, good for XC. 

Weighing at just over 70kg and in the sharper end of the field, I think I can get away with it... This is for XCO/XCM though. Probably going to miss the grip a little when training in Giba though...

Yeah, for xcm I don't see a problem with them, I just wouldn't. For xco, if you've got the ability then Lekker. I just personally would run something a bit more substantial to make up for my lack of skill and abundance of dad-bod

• 3 weeks later...

currently i have a set of ardent race 2.35's on which are great for their purpose of cane road and easy trails. i also have a DHRII in 2.4wt which i use up front when im going somewhere i know more grip is required but cant leave it on all time as rolling is a bit tough on flat stuff also its a pain having to swop tyres. So im looking at trying to get a better allround tyre for the front, was looking at either Forekaster in 2.35 or Rekon in 2.4wt  ..anyone have any input on those 2 ...( only looking a Maxxis tyres )

currently i have a set of ardent race 2.35's on which are great for their purpose of cane road and easy trails. i also have a DHRII in 2.4wt which i use up front when im going somewhere i know more grip is required but cant leave it on all time as rolling is a bit tough on flat stuff also its a pain having to swop tyres. So im looking at trying to get a better allround tyre for the front, was looking at either Forekaster in 2.35 or Rekon in 2.4wt  ..anyone have any input on those 2 ...( only looking a Maxxis tyres )

I can strongly recommend the Rekon. If you've got wide(ish) rims, go for the 2.6 version.