[Event] Cycle Lab Cape Cobra Challenge

'Dale

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This one is gonna hurt. I can still remember a guy standing along the side of Oukaap last year crying for help due to cramps in his legs.

A view from the top of Maritime Squadron Hill, or some name like that...

The irregular gravel section (bottom R) is the final 25 metres, possible 20+ degree incline, of the ascent before heading back down into Glencairn area, Black Hill & O K W.

*If you're racing it on Sunday, you'll prob not have the time to see this view... :devil:*

post-12015-0-86379300-1326792638.jpg

I did a part-recce of the route this morning, rode from constantia to the start at Reddam, then over Boyes, Military Hill, Black Hill and Ou Kaapse in that order.

Confirmed what I already feared, the Military climb is rather unpleasant.

word of caution: although naval hill is a bit of a beast, make sure you guys are very careful taking the hairpin bend (sharp left turn) to get from main rd onto the start of the climb. The pace will drop dramatically to take the hairpin and make sure you drop into the small blade BEFORE you get onto the slope, you really don't want to drop your chain here.

you really don't want to drop your chain here.

THIS x 1000!!!

as I rode up this morning I thought that intial steep section could cause some problems, and i envisaged the crunching of gears as okes panicked to change down. it then flattens out briefly around the left bend, before it ramps up in the middle section....horribly

word of caution: although naval hill is a bit of a beast, make sure you guys are very careful taking the hairpin bend (sharp left turn) to get from main rd onto the start of the climb. The pace will drop dramatically to take the hairpin and make sure you drop into the small blade BEFORE you get onto the slope, you really don't want to drop your chain here.

As far as what I heard from another league rider, the storm water channel also poses a problem as you exit the road - kinda a dip and then bump back up before the 'nice' climb.

I am def giving this one a skip - no need to punish myself if I am not riding league.

I'll this a skip. Me no mountain goatwhistling.gif

Wat maak jy die naweek? Lus to ride the Bouckeart route? (from Wellington that is)

THIS x 1000!!!

as I rode up this morning I thought that intial steep section could cause some problems, and i envisaged the crunching of gears as okes panicked to change down. it then flattens out briefly around the left bend, before it ramps up in the middle section....horribly

Psychologically, that eff's a guys mind up if you don't know about it. My pedal kept un-clipping on the recce ride - got sand in the cleat.

Just got an e-mail from the PCS that the U16's have been downgraded to the 30km :thumbdown:

Lame.

(as per UCI regulations, maximum racing distance of 80km)

Isn't the cobra 80km?

hmmm.

As far as what I heard from another league rider, the storm water channel also poses a problem as you exit the road - kinda a dip and then bump back up before the 'nice' climb.

I am def giving this one a skip - no need to punish myself if I am not riding league.

also beware the bike marshals, 'cos the marshall in G last year decided to stop rather suddenly at the entrance to the Maritime climb causing a massive unclipping and swearing and resultant split in the bunch. not nice at all (no disrespect to marshals intended)

Edited by ThaStig

Just got an e-mail from the PCS that the U16's have been downgraded to the 30km :thumbdown:

Lame.

(as per UCI regulations, maximum racing distance of 80km)

Isn't the cobra 80km?

hmmm.

Sorry Zac...........its 85....

but i am sure you can finish the 30 km... start in C bunch or even lower and do the 85 km and still finish before most of the other riders ..... like me :)

Cycle Lab Cape Cobra Challenge 2012 Category: Road Events Event Date: 22 January 2012 Entries Close: 19 January 2012 at 23:00 Venue: Reddam House School, Constantia Province: Western Cape Distance: 85km, 30km Starting Time: 06:00 Timed By: RaceTec

Edited by Slow_one