Letter in Beeld

pezulu

The crux of the letter in bold above. That is how motorists perceive us. Ons us ourselves can change that view. I somehow think we are not able to do that.

fine im. Mtb er but i cycle on the road in the week and the reason we are seen this way is due to cyclist. At least once a week i see a roadie skip a traffic light or stop without even looking. This morning again a boner on his bike came flying through a red light..

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup:

I saw a guy on north rand road yesterday in luminous yellow top, shorts. Also had a frame that had the same yellow paintwork and deep section wheels with the same yellow rims.

Very visible.

But the thing that got me and the wife laughing the most...no helmet.

Dumbass.

I saw a guy on north rand road yesterday in luminous yellow top, shorts. Also had a frame that had the same yellow paintwork and deep section wheels with the same yellow rims.

Very visible.

Dumbass.

I saw him the other day too. kinda reminded me of those youtube clips where the people where neon lights and are filmed at night.

Wish i could say the same of the guys in the Cipla kit on bottelary road this morning riding 3 abreast over the yellow lane, i was in my car and had do go into the on coming lane to pass these guys

I had the same driving along the winding road to Jonkershoek, 3 MTBers riding abreast on a blind corner, the one guy over in my lane the oncoming lane, I had to swerve to avoid running straight over him, and this after seeing another 3 roadies riding three abreast all with no helmets, making passing motorists swerve into oncoming traffic.

I've got no issues with riding with no helmet, just ride in single file within the yellow lines and you can chat when you have your coffee after.

Very visible.

Dumbass.

Gee, there's been enough OB bashing on this forum over the years. No need for more.

OB hasn't worn a helmit for his entire life, he's not gonna start now.

Gee, there's been enough OB bashing on this forum over the years. No need for more.

OB hasn't worn a helmit for his entire life, he's not gonna start now.

Ob?

None of you are addressing the underlying stupidty and lack of humanity in the writer's argument. He is essentially saying that the weaker members of society deserve to die - similarly if an old lady or a young child crosses a busy road she should expect to get run over by some overweight, brandy drinking, blue bull supporter (who is also clearly an avid 4x4 enthuisiast and a "skyfskieter" - whatever that is...).

Ghandi said that a society can be measured by how well it treats its weakest members and that is why modern, democratic countries such as the Netherlands place a very high penalty on the driver of a motorised vehicle when they collide with a bicycle, irrespective of whether the bicycle was being irresponsible. If I am being an ass and ride my bicycle through a red robot, that certainly does not give anybody the right to kill me. Besides the fact that the punishment in no way matches the crime, last time I checked vigilante action was illegal. Clearly it is an unfair contest between a car and a bicycle and if a motorist feels a bicycle is breaking the law, they should report this to the traffic police.

His further argument that you should only use public roads if you are commuting to and from work should then also be applied to him. I suggest the next time he wheels his Toyota Hilux on to the road to the bottle store, somebody with a bigger vehicle (say a tank) should drive over him, as its survival of the fittest after all.

You called for a tank dear sir, well said! :thumbup:

They are little doubt that Cycling is growing fast in South Africa, and the cycle tour event has reached a remarkable international recognition, but Cycling South Africa and the Cycle tour magnitude as an event has major potential to create a platform, or department specializing in cycling advocacy highlighting cycling safety and more important it benefit, soon in few years these South African roads are going to be traffic jammed (this is already the case in JHB) in the proportion of major city such as New York, London, LA and Beijing, unfortunately as great as our inputs continue to be in this forum, serious advocacy about road bicycling is required we need to find an avenue for this, finally when you think about it Europe, China and Unites State was not always safe for cyclists.

.......seeing another 3 roadies riding three abreast all with no helmets, making passing motorists swerve into oncoming traffic.

Force them at gun point did they?

I understand ...dont ride abreast.... BUT surely the motorists could have patiently waited for a safe moment to pass

Perhaps one of the best ways to commit a murder, and get away with it, is to hit and kill someone with a motor vehicle. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Very visible.

Dumbass.

That would be OB, i saw him on that bike this morning riding down Atlas rd.

:D Ah, Jimmy, it seems you've been everywhere, so long as you stay off the roads and out of Beeld, all will be well. :D

I dont understand ? Why is he a dumbass ?

Edit:

Does riding without a hemlet make a dumbass? Cause in races paid for organised rides it is part of the rules

I dont understand ? Why is he a dumbass ?

Edit:

Does riding without a hemlet make a dumbass? Cause in races paid for organised rides it is part of the rules

For someone to spend as much time and effort on ensuring he is very visible, he obviously is aware of the dangers of cycling on a public and busy road, you would think he would use the same sense of logic and apply that to the most vital of pieces of safety equipment...a helmet!

I don't think cyclist are the problem.

Motorist hate pedestrians.

Motorist hate bikers.

Motorist hate taxis.

Motorist hate the old lady or truck in front of them

Motorist hate the guy in the bakkie behind them.

Motorist hate the pavement next to them.

Motorist hate any and all other road users

I think that is the problem.

I think you got it 100000% correct.