Has the ABSA CAPE EPIC lost its appeal or is it just too expensive?

bolt67

Epic lost it's appeal, anybody with money can do it, like any other stage race out there, so you pic the one with the most enjoyment and value, of which the Epic has none (value)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Solo option is gathering traction as well. It would not surprise me if the Epic offers a solo section soon. Nothing more frustrating than having to pay and commit to a training shedule many months before an event, only to have your partner bail out on you with a month left to go. Now you're scambling for a partner and may end up with your 4th or 5th choice partner. If the race costs R 100 you might not care , but at 350 times the cost, it's devastating.

How about this model: Pay for your Stage race entry the day after the current event and get a 30% discount. Increase the fee on a sliding scale, a couple of % for every month and then, 3 months before the event, full price kicks in. Similar to airline tickets- early bird gets the deal, last-minute guy pays the full price. At around 5-6% interest, money in the bank should offset the discount for the organiser. Something like that would work for me.

Edited by kandui

Intersting how this thread started out with the title that it has, doesn't actually make sense if you think about it. Fact is that the entries were all sold out, so clearly its not too expensive or lost its lustre. Entries are available because people are dropping out mostly because they don't have the balls to go through with their commitment and/or are too scared of the epic, rarely due to medical reasons or maybe coveniently due to medical reasons.

So the question to be asked is why do people commit upfront therby blocking others when they really didnt have the balls in the first place?

Fact is that it is the biggest mtb stage race in the world where you rub shoulders, litterally, with the worlds best riders. There is no other race in the world that offers this value to the average guy. Just like any other brand you have to ask yourself is the premium worth it.

How about this model: Pay for your Stage race entry the day after the current event and get a 30% discount. Increase the fee on a sliding scale, a couple of % for every month and then, 3 months before the event, full price kicks in. Similar to airline tickets- early bird gets the deal, last-minute guy pays the full price. At around 5-6% interest, money in the bank should offset the discount for the organiser. Something like that would work for me.

this makes sense if your event is battling to fill the demand. if you have people fighting for an entry(and the epic always selling their first 100 in 60 seconds fits into this category) then you can do WTF you want. the problem is that you run the risk of cooking your golden goose.

i think kevin will battle to stuff the epic up. there are so many epic bevok riders out there who want that sticker on their bike no matter what (cue the I'd pay R40k for that feeling guy)that he can do whatever he pleases.

I have to this date spent R400 on the epic. they sold off the tents a few years back. instead of getting 2, they ended up sending me 6. score

Intersting how this thread started out with the title that it has, doesn't actually make sense if you think about it. Fact is that the entries were all sold out, so clearly its not too expensive or lost its lustre.

i think the point the OP is making has been ratified by responses. normally you can on sell your entry no problem. here we are 2 months to go and there is a massive glut of available entries, going for sale below cost. this didn't happen before.

it will be interesting to see if demand is as high for the 2013 event come may.

2013: I think there will be a lot more guys taking the wait and see approach. We will be in the middle of 2012 when entries have to be paid for and another recession is forecast. I don't care waht anybody says: Epic Bevok or not, I can't see an online scrum developing at close on 40k an entry.

Reason why there are so many entries available: Undertraining, and now the entry fee looks even bigger and the wife is giving you Hell because you coughed up the cash and told her how you would train hard and make up for all time on the bike away from the family.

For me it is about value for money,believe the Epic organisers can take a leaf out of the Joberg2C book where where rider counts your needs are catered for no matter how small.You see amazing places in our country and the vibe & atmosphere is 2nd to none,that is why we are doing it again.

Oh yes it is not a walk in the park under estimate this race and it will bite you

mmmm my 2c

Because some of the hype is gone from the entry(entry opening day and route announcement) it will never fetch close to the original price. The epic is all about hype and all that is left now is to churn out big miles and sweat blood until D-day. If I was the OP I would drop the price by a 250ZARS each day until I get a taker, take your medicine and write it off.

My take: Ride it while you still can. Once KV has the full live television coverage sorted out he'll be making a fortune selling the TV rights, shortly followed by turning it into a pro only event. That is where the real power/future lies, taking it to the level of the other HC (or HG??) ICC tours in terms of TV coverage. He's got the international riders, he just needs the cameras. Last year was round one, would love to see what they do this year.

Once in place I can see no point in him trying to bend over backwards keeping every SA mountainbiker happy.

Full TV coverage is going to be hard ask. I can't see how an ATV with a cameraman bouncing around on the back is going to be able to follow the leaders around the current type of route. If that's the end goal, then you will see the route change to a WC-Style loop over smoother terrain where camera's can follow the pack. In my opinion, unlikey.

As far as I have heard, KV wants to franchise the Epic out to other countries and create a marathon tour which would prolong the life and justify the increased cost of the Epic and pay him royalties from the other events. Clever man and good ideas. But , if the same modus operandi re fee increases is applied at a franchise event in Switzerland or Germany, they will see their arse quickly. Those guys won't just bitch and moan, they will walk away.

Epic lost it's appeal, anybody with money can do it, like any other stage race out there, so you pic the one with the most enjoyment and value, of which the Epic has none (value)

Hmm I'm not sticking up for the CE high costs BUT I think some parts (the bold bits) of your statemunt are...uhmmm... total BS about sums it up.

My take: Ride it while you still can. Once KV has the full live television coverage sorted out he'll be making a fortune selling the TV rights, shortly followed by turning it into a pro only event. That is where the real power/future lies, taking it to the level of the other HC (or HG??) ICC tours in terms of TV coverage. He's got the international riders, he just needs the cameras. Last year was round one, would love to see what they do this year.

Once in place I can see no point in him trying to bend over backwards keeping every SA mountainbiker happy.

From a TV coverage point of view its already a pro only event, hardly any TV (or DVD) coverage of riders not competing for podium places is shown.

I think the fact that Joe average is able to do the event is part of the TV draw card, I know people who would never normaly watch mtb on TV who watched it because someone close to them was riding.

So if you work in an LBS and have done the Epic you can use this to win over sales on the floor ... true ... I was in a certain LBS today and the client asks something with the salesman replies "well when I rode the epic I only used .... products" ....

See he has used it to his benefit

Still too steep for me thought.

Plenty of appeal. Too expensive at the original price, but well worth it at half.

FYI: A friend of mine put offers out to guys selling entries and got 2 positive responses to his offer of R 20000 for a team entry. The dumping has begun!

The Epic is a fantastic event and is really well marketed and promoted thoughout the world. It is a MTB event that is uniquely South African and is recognised worldwide. For that - there unfortunately there is a price. The Epic is a business and was run at a loss for the first couple of years, so to some degree, startup costs and prior losses have been recouped over the last few years.

BUT on reading this thread I read the article on the mountain bike forum and looked at the increase in costs per rider from 2004 (R3,900) to 2011 (R14,500). Even allowing for a generous CPI+5% annual inflation adjustment, the Epic should be costing approximately R8,000 per rider..............My only conclusion for this is that the entry fee has been ramped up at a rate that was driven by the perceived value of the event.

The availability of Epic tickets and the struggle to sell them is not new - this has been a factor since 2008. I think that as the event becomes more expensive, people are no longer willing to buy a late ticket and take a punt on riding the event with only a few weeks training. If I were to do the Epic again, I wouldnt enter through the normal channels, but I would train and then wait until this time of the year and make a cheeky offer to pick up a ticket at a heavily discounted rate.

If you can afford it - do it - it is a great event! Personally, I wont do it again unless they move it back to the original format from Kysna to Cape Town.

Edited by Mackem

Don't think it's either, just that it's a big commitment and for most they have not committed to training for it so they aren't fit enough to do it

I am plenty fit which is probably why I don't have 28k to spare