Drafting women

BrianMTB

No, I'm sure I didn't TZ - And that isn't the point either, I don't think I'm better because I'm a man - I just don't think it is right for a (big) bunch of riders to have two women doing all the work on the front. I seem to be alone in that feeling though as most other contributors here have made it clear they would happily sit in the bunch.

Brian, I am not criticizing your point of view it is just that it is a little alien to the spirit of road racing and that is why your are getting flak here.

Many of the fast ladies can hang with or beat many of the men so they aren't seen as weaker riders by themselves or the men (which is why I asked you if you beat all the gals).

Secondly, hanging onto someone's wheel is a legal and valid race technique. Take a look at what happens if a Pro Tour rider is in a break away and in the same team as favourite. He will sit all day and hope for fresh run at the line if the break succeeds.

It is up to those doing the work to shake them off, fall back or just ride their race and live with the leeches. I have had someone stuck on my wheel for a whole race and it was too much energy to lose him. He then was strong enough to out sprint me for the line. Fair? Maybe not. That's road racing.

Ray

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My logic is this...

As Men and women are all entered into the same event (ie not seperate events for men and a seperate event for women) that sort of implies that we are all competing.

After all, in most organised sport, if the bodies that control the sport do not feel it right (for whatever reason) to combine males and females, we are all kept seperate. for example swimming, athletics etc.

So if there is a girly next to me in the group, then her gender is of no importnace in the scope of the event...and if she is kicking my backside, then she deserves to be in front.

Let her race her race, regardless of gender.

And let the best wo/man win (so to speak)

Hi Wayne, I can't disagree with that. And I will say that the two ladies pulling the bunch were clearly very strong.

Brian, I am not criticizing your point of view it is just that it is a little alien to the spirit of road racing and that is why your are getting flak here.

Many of the fast ladies can hang with or beat many of the men so they aren't seen as weaker riders by themselves or the men (which is why I asked you if you beat all the gals).

Secondly, hanging onto someone's wheel is a legal and valid race technique. Take a look at what happens if a Pro Tour rider is in a break away and in the same team as favourite. He will sit all day and hope for fresh run at the line if the break succeeds.

It is up to those doing the work to shake them off, fall back or just ride their race and live with the leeches. I have had someone stuck on my wheel for a whole race and it was too much energy to lose him. He then was strong enough to out sprint me for the line. Fair? Maybe not. That's road racing.

Ray

Hi Ray, thanks for the constructive input. I'm not a road cyclist ordinarily and so was just wondering about the race legality of something that seems to me to be a little off. But having read your's and Wayne's posts the reasoning is sound; I hadn't thought of it that way but it makes sense. I will therefore in future not worry about the gender of the person whose wheel I'm on as it is clearly a non-issue (and of course I'll do my fair share in the front, as always).

Brian

And here I thought you "racing ladies" dont stop at all. But Ya, in that "heat"...I dont blame you for stopping.

I don't, and I actually didn't, but I was dropped, and had a gap!! It was hot and I was over it ;-)

This is all very fine with women leading the bunch, but the question is: can they make sandwiches at the same time?

BrianMTB

Glad you finally got some sense out of your post. I mean, to me I really don't give a damn what sex of rider does their fair share, and good on the ladies if they did.

My recollection is that you all have a turn, although I am quite sure some lardarse laddies didn't bother to help the ladies.

If you can't take the heat...stay in the kitchen.

BrianMTB

Glad you finally got some sense out of your post. I mean, to me I really don't give a damn what sex of rider does their fair share, and good on the ladies if they did.

My recollection is that you all have a turn, although I am quite sure some lardarse laddies didn't bother to help the ladies.

If you can't take the heat...stay in the kitchen.

Yeah me too. Made a slightly off-colour comment in jest and the next thing I'm being crucified as a woman-hater and a chauvinist. Roadies are a unique... bunch... :-)

Edited by BrianMTB

The answer is simple. Stop this road racing stuff and come mtbiking. If you don't have the legs there is nowhere you can hide :ph34r:

Lady-folk being drafted in Israel.

http://www.allfacebook.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/idfwomen.jpg

If anything they seem a little bored with the whole thing.

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0807/hit-it-demotivational-poster-1214969594.jpg

The answer is simple. Stop this road racing stuff and come mtbiking. If you don't have the legs there is nowhere you can hide :ph34r:

I hear you! I venture onto the asphalt from time to time only because my company sponsors me to do so - otherwise it's all dirt and fun times!

I'd draft these ladies any day! :w00t:

I hear you! I venture onto the asphalt from time to time only because my company sponsors me to do so -

Gee. Tough life you have. Negotiate a deal with your company, I'll wear their kit and do the road rides for you.

Hmmm.

Haven't covered Basic Weapons Training yet !!!