Rugby...

'Dale

commentators and the supersport studio said they were missing 14 of their 1st choice players?

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's frustrating as anything to watch the Boks struggle but I'm not sure it's possible to compare now to 10 years ago. 

Jake White and P Divvy coached before the player exodus to Europe while we were still competitive in Super Rugby.

There is nothing dynamic about our attack with forwards getting the ball from a standing start behind the advantage line but that is how our super rugby teams were playing as well.

There will have to be wholesale improvements across the player and coaching base before a new national coach is going to save us all. 

thought game was at 7...so thankfully missed it!  :lol:

AC is and always was a *** coach delusional.

thought game was at 7...so thankfully missed it!  :lol:

AC is and always was a *** coach delusional.

Lucky bliksem!!

I had to sit through that pain!

With AC, we are only going backwards!

It's frustrating as anything to watch the Boks struggle but I'm not sure it's possible to compare now to 10 years ago.

Jake White and P Divvy coached before the player exodus to Europe while we were still competitive in Super Rugby.

There is nothing dynamic about our attack with forwards getting the ball from a standing start behind the advantage line but that is how our super rugby teams were playing as well.

There will have to be wholesale improvements across the player and coaching base before a new national coach is going to save us all.

You can't blame transformation or going overseas.. It's largely bad coaching decisions. Who changes flyhalves with 5 to go while your team is on a sustained attack. Time and time again he makes poor decisions. Any world class coach would take what's on offer in sa and turn us around again... But ac is like Zuma... The longer he is in charge the more damage he's gonna do Edited by Stretch

You can't blame transformation or going overseas..

Are you seriously telling me that having your most talented players picked off by Euros every year makes no difference to our playing strength?

The global landscape has changed and we are playing a poor standard of rugby in empty stadiums across our domestic competitions.

I don't think he is a good coach either but I was trying to make a different point about comparing stats to a different era.

DQMEEgFX0AIeznf.jpg

In my admittedly not-expert and very amateurish opinion, these guys and their coach prove that we have the potential to be world champions. In my crazier fantasies I replace our whole backline and loose forwards with them, then get some giant 300kg sumo wrestlers to scrum for us.

Aah, bugger it, I'm just going to watch The Replacements again.

Are you seriously telling me that having your most talented players picked off by Euros every year makes no difference to our playing strength?

The global landscape has changed and we are playing a poor standard of rugby in empty stadiums across our domestic competitions.

I don't think he is a good coach either but I was trying to make a different point about comparing stats to a different era.

Didn't say it affects our strength.. Just saying a proper coach working with players at our disposal would make us competitive again.. Not our best.. But certainly competitive

There are many factors that contribute to failure in sa rugby..yes players chasing euros in the rich euro competition adds to this..but the how do you explain all Blacks and Australia team's success as their players contribute to this..

Im not sure if this has been addressed before ..in an interview with Justin Marshall on the success of all black rugby and how they have been able to produce consistent good teams although there is a change with new players coming into the team and what's South Africa doing wrong.

His response

In New Zealand all rugby players and coaches subscribe to the same brand of rugby..running attacking ball in hand look for gaps off loads etc..which sounds pretty simplistic, it starts at grassroots level all the way up to super rugby..so when a slot is available in the national team they are already familiar with their roles and requirements for that position..

In SA he observed there are too many different types of approaches by the different franchises; so a person performs well in the Lions team he is chosen into Springboks and so too for sharks Stormers etc..but then here the issue they now need to be taught the coaches game plan which now isn't natural for them and it once again becomes a disjointed affair which is visible as the players don't don't instinctively gel in a game lack of fluidity..to make matters worse many are even chosen in position that they haven't played in their franchise..which further adds to the disaster..

We as a rugby nation also are extremely frustrated and impatient and want results NOW...which is almost impossible.

Ok AC gets the boot a new coach is appointed and he has his own approach and he may not have the players in the squad that conforms to his style..then what..

Are we doing enough to get the most out of the natural talent available here.

Why are there so many ex sa players in other national teams.. is transformation hindering our progress and the best players truly not being picked??

Is Steve Hanson a world-class international coach that could save us?

- His win record as NZ coach is 89% over 82 matches

- His win record as Wales coach is 33% with wins coming against Canada, Fiji, Italy, Romania, Tonga and Scotland.

In hindsight, that was just a reflection of the strength of the Welsch game in 2002. The NZ game of post 2011 still has super rugby derby matches of international quality or higher.

Getting our domestic strength closer to NZ and now also the European leagues should be the priority at this stage. As a rugby country right now we are behind NZ, England, Ireland, Wales and maybe even Scotland with similar struggles in depth to Australia. 

As with anything in life, rugby playing styles need to evolve to stay relevant.

We are suffering because we have failed to evolve from the boring, yet slightly effective at the time, playing style that Meyer introduced.

Removing Alistair will not be a quick fix, I am sure it will help but, at some point the players need to take responsibility for their kakkness too.

We are suffering because we have failed to evolve from the boring, yet slightly effective at the time, playing style that Meyer introduced.

Removing Alistair will not be a quick fix, I am sure it will help but, at some point the players need to take responsibility for their kakkness too.

That Mayweather McGregor fight. Boxing purist delight or not those two were responsible for putting on a show and selling it to the viewing public.

Perhaps if the Sharks as an example only get 20% of their match fee when the stadium is 20% full because it is too boring to watch they might make a plan.

That Mayweather McGregor fight. Boxing purist delight or not those two were responsible for putting on a show and selling it to the viewing public.

Perhaps if the Sharks as an example only get 20% of their match fee when the stadium is 20% full because it is too boring to watch they might make a plan.

Not a bad idea.

In the early 80s when the Sharks were in the B division, the big school derby matches used to get bigger crowds than the Sharks home games.

If I remember correctly, The Sharks Union even asked the schools to reschedule these matches so they would not clash with the Shark's match times.

I personally think we do have enough talent , look at the 7's and you can clearly see it. In our 15 man game we are still using old school stuff that works and sometimes (most of the times) not. Just have a look at the enthusiasm of the 7's players , they do everything at 150% effort and pace. Lets go and find out what makes them tick and apply that in our 15 man teams !!  No need for some expensive overseas coach. 

The talent is there, the poor choices are being made by the coach and the administrators. 

A prime example are people like Chilliboy Ralapella and Rudy Paige getting selected time after time, when they're 2nd or 3rd choice for their provinces. 

What annoys me most is our inability to think on the field. Kicking the ball down the bloody middle of the field not working? Try something else instead of kicking it another 783 times and hoping something else might happen.  I fully expect the day we run onto the field with earpieces and the coaching team telling the guys when to breathe in and out. 

This ☝????☝????☝????