• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like they do on the Discovery Channel

by Johan Coetzee 18 April 2016, 16:31

SuperWrap Week 8, 2016:

“The hunt is on,” informs the soothing voice of Sir David Attenborough. In the background, dramatic music builds to a crescendo. “Too light to jump on anything, it has to rely on tripping its prey. But in a full-on race nothing can outrun a cheetah.”

Attenborough – the Hugh Bladen of wildlife documentaries – said those words in a BBC series called The Hunt, but it wouldn’t have differed much if he was asked to comment after Friday night’s rugby.

“In its natural habitat and with no immediate threat, the Cheetah is one nature’s true wonders,” he may very well have continued.

Dust would settle on the arid plains of the Free State, revealing fresh blood dripping off the face of a feasting feline.

“A combination of unmatched speed and wonderfully balanced footwork makes the Cheetah one of the deadliest hunters on the planet,” we’ll be informed.

“In the blink of an eye it went from zero to 92, killing its prey with ruthless efficiency. The Sunwolf never knew what hit it."

Sir David will face the camera stroking one of these savage predators that is lying calmly in his lap.

“The belief that it can push the counter past 100 is, sadly, just a myth” he’ll say with just a slight hint of disappointment. The cat purrs in concurrence.

“The 92 it did manage remains incredibly rare, however. More impressive: the 14 five-point strides it took in reaching that mark is the most that has ever been managed by an African beast in the South’s Super battle for supremacy.

“Its unquestionable willingness and the ability to pounce from all corners of the hunting ground delighted even the most casual of observers.”

On our screens the bloated lump of spots will abandon its meal and start a slow walk towards the setting sun.

“This, unfortunately, is as good as things will ever get for him,” the measured words continue.

“The same attributes that makes it such a great hunter also makes it a fragile creature. For the Cheetah, life - between those rare feeds - is a never-ending battle for survival.

“It lacks the size and physicality of most other predators. Faced with a head-on confrontation, it is too often forced to retreat. The Cheetah relies almost exclusively on the surprise attack, but on these fields, after witnessing so many hunts, eyes are always wide open.

“Not even among fellow cats like Lions or Jaguares can it claim its fair share of spoils these days.

“But finding something to feed on is only one of its problems…”

The screen goes pitch black. We hear the sounds of the African night, peaceful and serene.

Then an unholy cacophony of laughter shatters the calm. In the green light of a night camera we can see an evil frenzy, staring back at us are eyes shimmering with deceit.

“Scavengers!” the word is spat out in disgust. “Always prying, always prodding, waiting for just the smallest of openings to pounce. The limits of their blood-thirsty appetites still unknown to science.

“The Cheetah’s biggest weakness is its inability to defend its young against the onslaughts of thieves. Try as it may, it has no defence against the larcenous clutches of the Bull and especially the Shark.

“Few events in nature can match the wretchedness of a Cheetah cub being pried loose from its mother’s bosom,” laments the old man. “Yet it happens with unfailing regularity”.

“Such is the unforgiving way of the world,” he sighs wisely.

It is a bright African day now. A new litter of cubs are playing in the shadow of an old Acacia tree.

“The Cheetah is never without hope, though.

“Every year, just as summer starts turning into autumn, a new hunting pack is formed. The few remaining remnants of the previous year’s group will gather the new additions around them to impart their wisdom. The learning process is quick, and every so often you are lucky enough to see it being successful as well.

“If we are really lucky, and on Friday we were, we may even catch a glimpse of this majestic animal in full flight. It is a sight that makes up for all the suffering that has come before.

“Enjoy this spectacular moment and cherish every memory of it,” he would urge us.

We are.

Successful transformation requires all teams to play under one emblem. http://m.sport24.co.za/sport24/Rugby/Springboks/anc-wants-springbok-logo-removed-20160420

I struggle to understand how destroying a proud history could possibly aid transformation.

... this sh!t again... It seems like when they do not have anything constructive to add to politics in general they go off on the same old tirades. it is a poorly concealed attempt to try and divide black and white as they fear that the black vote will come around with the next round of elections.

A better focus by the ANC would be to call for an enquiry into the Kings' financials as there seems to be another bail-out on the cards.

... this **** again... It seems like when they do not have anything constructive to add to politics in general they go off on the same old tirades. it is a poorly concealed attempt to try and divide black and white as they fear that the black vote will come around with the next round of elections.

A better focus by the ANC would be to call for an enquiry into the Kings' financials as there seems to be another bail-out on the cards.

They will grab at any straws now to show how evil the white man is.

The Highlanders nearly defeat the Sharkies despite being 14 men on the pitch for most of the game.

Hectic in-the-air tackle on Willie

That could've been very serious.

The Highlanders nearly defeat the Sharkies despite being 14 men on the pitch for most of the game.

Hectic in-the-air tackle on Willie

That could've been very serious.

I'm glad Willie came out ok after that! :eek:

Nice to see Emery apologising to Willie on twitta and Willie accepted (true sportsmanship!)

Stormers looking good - this weekend game against the Tahs will be a cracker

Stormers looking good - this weekend game against the Tahs will be a cracker

Although not having to play the Top 4 sides in the Australasian conference really helps....

Not blaming them, blaming this stupid format...

To put it in perspective - the highest ranked team (by log points) that the Stormers managed to beat is the Bulls - currently on 7th. They only played one team ranked higher than 7th, the Lions, which they lost.

Edited by Skubarra

Although not having to play the Top 4 sides in the Australasian conference really helps....

Not blaming them, blaming this stupid format...

Agree - I hate this current format

Would love to see Stormers play the NZ teams (except Crusaders :eek: ) at Newlands

Would love to see Stormers play the NZ teams (except Crusaders :eek: ) at Newlands

so would half of the Cape Flats....

so would half of the Cape Flats....

why you hating on cape flats, not all of us are crusaders fans... :whistling:

I agree, this format is really silly. But doesn't is change around next year as in the side of the draw that the Stormers are in currently play the NZ sides?

I agree, this format is really silly. But doesn't is change around next year as in the side of the draw that the Stormers are in currently play the NZ sides?

Yes, after 2 seasons each team would have played each once.

this format has been very successful....in enabling me to totally ignore the entire thing. there's rugby on?!