Rugby...

'Dale

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Global impossible. Just too many teams and different conditions. SH Tournament on the face of it a good idea. Just need to be competitive across all divisions and groups.

If only we had the bucks to bring a few NH stars here for SuperRugby. Or even kept our own. Would be a different game

Lol...we still got a way to go to emulate the Aussie dominance in cricket at the beginning of the century.

Now we just need to get something in the trophy cabinet.

Yip, its really sad about Dan.

Is it just me, or am I getting a bit bored with Super Rugby. Every year the same format, playing against own region twice...

Need a totally new competition. Something new and fresh. Every year its the same old, same old story.

How would you go about changing it.

I'd start with less teams, and do away with the franchise system.

In all honesty, each national union picks their top players and they are contracted to these teams - would hopefully keep our players from playing elsewhere:

Aus max 2 teams

SA 3 teams

NZ 3 teams

Argentina 1 team

Play each team home and away, no knockout phase. Winner is the team that collects the most points in the 16 games.

Where the play the games (Loftus, Ellis Park, Kings Park, Newlands, Bloem... who cares.

A second tier competition for feeder teams or the surplus players making up additional teams. The Japs, Fiji, Samoa and a few others can field a few teams to bring this up to 8-9 teams. Same format as the premier division.

Yip, its really sad about Dan.

Is it just me, or am I getting a bit bored with Super Rugby. Every year the same format, playing against own region twice...

Need a totally new competition. Something new and fresh. Every year its the same old, same old story.

Personally i think we are spoilt with all the TV coverage and modern gimmicks... we expect more and more exciting things... remember when all we had was the Currie cup and an annual overseas tour...

Maybe there are to many teams playing in the Super Rugby # whatever series now... and maybe it should only be the top 2 teams from each countries national series that get to progress to the Super Rugby series?

But then that would not sell as much TV rights as the current format... money makes the the world go round

Edited by SwissVan

I think changes are on the cards for super rugby 2018. Remember, 1 SA and 1 Aus team might get the boot... Whether those spots go to a Fiji team and/or Hong Kong I don't know

In my opinion they should make it a 2 tier competition, so strength play strength. And then you have a play-off game for the tier 1 bottom 2 teams vs tier 2 top 2 teams. That'll make things much more interesting!

I think changes are on the cards for super rugby 2018. Remember, 1 SA and 1 Aus team might get the boot... Whether those spots go to a Fiji team and/or Hong Kong I don't know

In my opinion they should make it a 2 tier competition, so strength play strength. And then you have a play-off game for the tier 1 bottom 2 teams vs tier 2 top 2 teams. That'll make things much more interesting!

Still WAAAYYYYY too much rugby. 

I'd start with less teams, and do away with the franchise system.

In all honesty, each national union picks their top players and they are contracted to these teams - would hopefully keep our players from playing elsewhere:

Aus max 2 teams

SA 3 teams

NZ 3 teams

Argentina 1 team

Play each team home and away, no knockout phase. Winner is the team that collects the most points in the 16 games.

Where the play the games (Loftus, Ellis Park, Kings Park, Newlands, Bloem... who cares.

A second tier competition for feeder teams or the surplus players making up additional teams. The Japs, Fiji, Samoa and a few others can field a few teams to bring this up to 8-9 teams. Same format as the premier division.

double edged sword between keeping players local and excluding local players from experience.

A compromise in my book would be to have a 2 tier system where the main event is 12 teams (3x aus, 3 x NZ, and 3x SA and 1 x Arg, 2 x other). The 1 x other is contended via the second tier competition which is 2xSA, 2xAus, 2xNZ, 1x Arg, 1 x Jap. Each year this rotates. If the second level team does better in the main competition than one if its other country counterparts then it goes into the main event and the other drops.

so for example

Lions

sharks

Province

Brumbies

Reds

Waratahs

crusaders

chiefs

hurricanes

Jaguares

then second tier

Cheetahs

Bulletjies

Kings

Rebels

Force

highlanders

Sunwolves

1 x other Argie

Edited by Stretch

Still WAAAYYYYY too much rugby. 

golden goose. the suits just looked at how much they make per game and just kept on adding more games.

I didn't even realise that super rugby was starting this week, don't care anymore because it just drags on for too long (feb=>august!). If my team is doing well about a third of the way in i might start taking interest.

he he he, 

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/land-rover-dumps-carter-over-drunk-driving-case-20170221

Wellington - New Zealand legend Dan Carter revealed on Tuesday that luxury car maker Land Rover has dropped him as a brand ambassador after he was caught drunk-driving in Paris last week.

The two-time Rugby World Cup winner, who plays for defending French champions Racing 92, has already admitted "a massive error in judgement" over the incident. 

Carter said he had been holding meetings with sponsors to discuss his actions. 

"Not surprisingly, Land Rover, who for good reason have zero tolerance towards drink driving, have ended their relationship with me," he posted on Facebook

double edged sword between keeping players local and excluding local players from experience.

A compromise in my book would be to have a 2 tier system where the main event is 12 teams (3x aus, 3 x NZ, and 3x SA and 1 x Arg, 2 x other). The 1 x other is contended via the second tier competition which is 2xSA, 2xAus, 2xNZ, 1x Arg, 1 x Jap. Each year this rotates. If the second level team does better in the main competition than one if its other country counterparts then it goes into the main event and the other drops.

so for example

Lions

Bulls

Province

Brumbies

Reds

Waratahs

crusaders

chiefs

hurricanes

Jaguares

then second tier

Cheetahs

Sharks

Kings

Rebels

Force

highlanders

Sunwolves

1 x other Argie

STRETCH

Eish bru. Ignoring your for example story, how can you even DREAM of having Sharks in B div while Shebeen's Stormers are in the A. Focus dude.

STRETCH

Eish bru. Ignoring your for example story, how can you even DREAM of having Sharks in B div while Shebeen's Stormers are in the A. Focus dude.

lol....based on our current form  - I might put us in C league!...although this year is looking a bit better

We've got a Superbru money pool running for those looking to spice up their weekend rugby viewing a bit and enjoy a little banter. Entrance Fee is R300 as per previous years. Winnings to be shared between positions 1 & 2

70% for 1st place, 30% for 2nd place.

My banking details:

Andrew Steer
FNB Cheque Acc
Acc Number: 62024117154
Branch: 250655

Please use your "Superbru username" and "- Superbru" as reference when paying.
Payments to be made by Wednesday the 1st of March at the absolute latest.
I will chase payments nearer the time

Pool name: thehubsa.co.za big guns

Code: ranignus

Follow the thread here: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/125499-super-rugby-2013-the-hub-sa-superbru-pool/page-70?do=findComment&comment=3070275

We've got 8 players and counting... may the best man/women win  :thumbup: