Rugby...

'Dale

I did not pay close attention, but surely Sonny Bill should have featured? Maybe jumping back and forth between Union and League cost him, but inventing the offload in the tackle should count for something. Definitely one of the most influential players in the last decade?

Personally I never rated SBW. And the offload in the tackle seems to be the only thing he's really known for imho. I would rate Jamie Roberts as better. He was huge influence on a strong Welsh side and played a big role in the 2013 Lion's win over Aus.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I never rated SBW. And the offload in the tackle seems to be the only thing he's really known for imho. I would rate Jamie Roberts as better. He was huge influence on a strong Welsh side and played a big role in the 2013 Lion's win over Aus.

I liked him. That offload in the tackle defined much of backline play the past decade. Even if he is known for only that, its not the same as being known for big or strong or fast. Many players are known for those things, but very few players single handedly change the game. He changed the game. Edited by Delarey

I liked him. That offload in the tackle defined much of backline play the past decade. Even if he is known for only that, its not the same as being known for big or strong or fast. Many players are known for those things, but very few players single handedly change the game. He changed the game.

He is still not making it into my match day 23 or my all time All Blacks 23 for that matter. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You see a genius, I don't. While I will admit that SBW was an exceptional player I don't feel that he was greater or equal to a number of his compatriots or a number of fellows from other countries. And I also feel that he wasn't as consistent as some of those fellows.

Sorry I really am not that impressed by him.

He is still not making it into my match day 23 or my all time All Blacks 23 for that matter. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You see a genius, I don't. While I will admit that SBW was an exceptional player I don't feel that he was greater or equal to a number of his compatriots or a number of fellows from other countries. And I also feel that he wasn't as consistent as some of those fellows.

Sorry I really am not that impressed by him.

I agree he is a polarising figure and very few rugby fans (especially in the Southern Hemisphere) lack an opinion about him. Let me put this argument forward: a player worthy of team of the decade should feature strongly in the game strategy of the opposing team. As a metric, how many times was his name mentioned in pre-match strategy sessions? Based on this metric I propose that McCaw is a worthy winner but SBW must be high on that list.

I agree he is a polarising figure and very few rugby fans (especially in the Southern Hemisphere) lack an opinion about him. Let me put this argument forward: a player worthy of team of the decade should feature strongly in the game strategy of the opposing team. As a metric, how many times was his name mentioned in pre-match strategy sessions? Based on this metric I propose that McCaw is a worthy winner but SBW must be high on that list.

Extremely polarising indeed.

Dude I think we're better off agreeing to disagree. I don't think I'll ever see SBW the same way you do and vice versa.

Extremely polarising indeed.

Dude I think we're better off agreeing to disagree. I don't think I'll ever see SBW the same way you do and vice versa.

Agreed.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a Springbok supporter so don’t have any particular affinity for him, but very few players in an apposing team made me as nervous as he did. For me he is up there with Lomu himself. Lomu never scored a try against us, but he created many with the number of players he draw and the opportunities he created as a result.

This team of the decade made me dig a bit on the IRB world players of the year and also SA players of the year. In the process I stumbled upon Joe van Niekerk’s story. What an interesting guy! The man is living his dream like a yogi in Costa Rica. How cool is that!

854f73dff62b95839dd3c2af311270a4.jpg

Remarkable ambassador for the sport. ????

Disclosed about his struggle as a gay man, with bulimia and, with all of this or I will suggest, because of these challenges and more, became a legend with whistle in hand.

Edited by 'Dale

Pools:

Pool A

NEW ZEALAND

FRANCE

ITALY

AMERICAS 1

AFRICA 1(Squidge reckons it will be Namibia... I'm not going to argue with that :) )

Pool B

SOUTH AFRICA

IRELAND

SCOTLAND

ASIA/PACIFIC 1

EUROPE 2

Pool C

WALES

AUSTRALIA

FIJI

EUROPE 1

FINAL QUALIFIER

Pool D

ENGLAND

JAPAN

ARGENTINA

OCEANIA 1(Likely SAMOA)

AMERICAS 2

Flippen arrogant French, refusing to speak engerish.

Yeah, well done on screwing a large part of the viewing audience. I switched off as soon as the pools were defined

Remarkable ambassador for the sport. [emoji464]

Disclosed about his struggle as a gay man, with bulimia and, with all of this or I will suggest, because of these challenges and more, became a legend with whistle in hand.

https://youtu.be/in3jOLBazIM

Arguably the finest referee ever.