Rugby...

'Dale

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Carter has called time on his career! Personally I reckon he is the greatest 10 the game has seen. His ability to pull the strings on attack and his reliability as a set kicker was pretty much top notch for the greater majority of his career.

I’m not too sure about “best 10 the game has seen” but he was incredible. His attack game and kicking game was great but he wasn’t the greatest defender. Gives me a bit of an Elton Jantjies feel. When the pack is going forward no-one could stop him and his attack. And the NZ pack was almost always going forward.

Edited by l4y3rcake

I’m not too sure about “best 10 the game has seen” but he was incredible. His attack game and kicking game was great but he wasn’t the greatest defender. Gives me a bit of an Elton Jantjies feel. When the pack is going forward no-one could stop him and his attack. And the NZ pack was almost always going forward.

Haha, that's extremely hilarious comparing Dan Carter to Elton Janties.

...also at the time Dan Carter Jonny Wilkinson were known to be the best defending 10's of their time.

Try again

Carter wasn't a slouch on defense. I might not have highlighted it but it doesn't mean that I thought poor in this area. Lest we forget he started his SR and International career as 12 in order to accommodate one Andrew Merthens. Doubt his coaches would've done that if they didn't believe he was up to scratch defensively.

Hahaha comparing DC to Elton... Sorry dude but you have no idea.

DC is a GOAT!

From the bit of rugby I've watched, he is certainly the most complete 10 I've seen and is deserving of the praise he is getting.

Many 10s could be compared because of certain parts of their game (Wilkinson with his boot, Baueden with his attacking game etc.), however DCs game was complete.

Hahaha comparing DC to Elton... Sorry dude but you have no idea.

DC is a GOAT!

From the bit of rugby I've watched, he is certainly the most complete 10 I've seen and is deserving of the praise he is getting.

Many 10s could be compared because of certain parts of their game (Wilkinson with his boot, Baueden with his attacking game etc.), however DCs game was complete.

I’m not comparing what Carter has achieved at all with Elton. What I am saying is that when he was off he was terrible. Just like Barret and Jantjies. My thing with a great fly half is that they can still steer the game even when they are not on or their pack is being pummeled.

I’m also not saying he wasn’t great but he was not the best ever.

Edited by l4y3rcake

I’m not a fan of labeling someone as “the best” or “the goat”. I would certainly put him (Carter) in a bracket called “one of the better I’ve seen play the game”.

Even Naas would fit into that “better” category because of the way he controlled the game, but was denied international games when in his prime.

Jonny Wilkinson, Jonathan Davies and Michael Lynagh would also be good enough to place in the “one of the better” categories.

Grant Fox and Andrew Mehrtens were close, but perhaps not as good.

I’m not comparing what Carter has achieved at all with Elton. What I am saying is that when he was off he was terrible. Just like Barret and Jantjies. My thing with a great fly half is that they can still steer the game even when they are not on or their pack is being pummeled.

I’m also not saying he wasn’t great but he was not the best ever.

I reckon the opposite, Carter was consistently exceptional.

But JA, he retired from international rugby 6 years ago so it's ancient news really. That has to be a record for hanging around to pick up a pay cheque. Was excited to see him play super rugby again last year but he only carried oranges in the ends

I reckon the opposite, Carter was consistently exceptional.

But JA, he retired from international rugby 6 years ago so it's ancient news really. That has to be a record for hanging around to pick up a pay cheque. Was excited to see him play super rugby again last year but he only carried oranges in the ends

He won the Top 14 twice, both with Racing 92 iirc, as well as the Toyota Top League post his International retirement. He very nearly joined both Bakkies Botha and Brad Thorne as guys who have won all the elite tournaments that they have participated in. Shows just how good he was as a player.

I didn't think it would be possible to like Nigel anymore. But it is

I absolutely love this series. Well done World Rugby.

I absolutely love this series. Well done World Rugby.

Good viewing but don't you think it can lead to an undermining of the officials? I would imagine it's not too difficult to make a mistake under pressure of time and baying crowds only to have it analysed over and over by those not facing the pressure. 

Good viewing but don't you think it can lead to an undermining of the officials? I would imagine it's not too difficult to make a mistake under pressure of time and baying crowds only to have it analysed over and over by those not facing the pressure. 

I'd argue that it was exactly what Nick, Naas and Ashwin was doing anyways at every halftime break and after the full time whistle. But they didn't have anywhere near the level of authority and clout of someone like Nigel has.

But I agree that something like this can create chaos if not handled correctly. I think his approach is great. He has been clear that the pressure on the field is immense and mistakes will happen on marginal calls.

He explained that the Johnny May jump/dive is open for the referees to decide where he was jumping in the act of scoring a try. He saw it as a penalty to the defending side, but he can see where the referees viewed it differently.

He also addressed the "time-on" insident with the Wales v Eng game. Saying he would have done it differently. Which is good, there is no use in sweeping mistakes under the rug. But I don't think he has thrown any referees under the bus, yet.

I think it is great for someone like him to address the chatter following some big calls in big games, I can't see anyone else doing it as good as him, to be honest.

I'd argue that it was exactly what Nick, Naas and Ashwin was doing anyways at every halftime break and after the full time whistle. But they didn't have anywhere near the level of authority and clout of someone like Nigel has.

But I agree that something like this can create chaos if not handled correctly. I think his approach is great. He has been clear that the pressure on the field is immense and mistakes will happen on marginal calls.

He explained that the Johnny May jump/dive is open for the referees to decide where he was jumping in the act of scoring a try. He saw it as a penalty to the defending side, but he can see where the referees viewed it differently.

He also addressed the "time-on" insident with the Wales v Eng game. Saying he would have done it differently. Which is good, there is no use in sweeping mistakes under the rug. But I don't think he has thrown any referees under the bus, yet.

I think it is great for someone like him to address the chatter following some big calls in big games, I can't see anyone else doing it as good as him, to be honest.

i thought this had legs

https://ratetheref.co.za/kaplans-comments/