Cape Pioneer Trek 2012 Route

GLuvsMtb

My wiife and I were one of the unlucky ones who were stung by bees. We both ended up in hospital on Monday. I am still unable I ride. My wife was feeling fine by the end of yesterday, so I dropped her at Prince Albert this morning, so she could do today's stage.

I'm pretty bummed out, but I guess that's life.

Sorry to hear that - hope you get better soon and don't suffer long term effects/allergies - If you missed the TV highlights package which might have showed you being extracted, pm me - I have it ripped. :)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that - hope you get better soon and don't suffer long term effects/allergies - If you missed the TV highlights package which might have showed you being extracted, pm me - I have it ripped. :)

Thanks, pm sent. Although, I don't know if I want too many reminders of that! :-)

It's a pity that we couldn't do the Swartbergpas climb.

No it isn't. Tackling the pass after having already climbed 1700m was brutal. The last 3 km's can easily take 30 minutes.

No it isn't. Tackling the pass after having already climbed 1700m was brutal. The last 3 km's can easily take 30 minutes.

Dude, respect for doing that. Insane climb - I've not seen anything as singularly impressive.

Edited by G-Unit

Thanks. I'm hoping that I'll be able to ride tomorrow. Still a couple of awesome stages left.

It's a pity that we couldn't do the Swartbergpas climb. We rode up it yesterday in the car, and it is brutal. The last 3k kicks up really steeply. Just about every team who got to the top looked FUBAR. And what is not advertised is that while the timing stops at the top you still have to cycle another 21k into Prince Albert. Eina.

There must be five pedal strokes and an average speed of 50km/h in that extra 21km?

There must be five pedal strokes and an average speed of 50km/h in that extra 21km?

Sadly not - a few k's of tar drag after the undulating district road descent. Not exactly a freebee.

Just finished the CPT .MTBing does not get better than this .Last stage was wet from the start to the finish .if you dressed correctly this was still a blast .Better than 40deg heat .Best organized ,best terrain ,most scenic..As a middle marker I rode between 5 and 6 hours per day .Already sorry I did not stop enough to take it all in and take more photos .Will not miss another one especially if they keep the stages the same .Rain made 3 stages more challenging ,but all still rideable .Every stage was special .Well done Dryland team for making my life better

Sadly not - a few k's of tar drag after the undulating district road descent. Not exactly a freebee.

Noooo dude no.

From the top of the Swartberg Pass down towards Prince Albert is one of the most beautiful and awe inspiring mountain pasess in the world. You have to climb up the Teeberg, but that is not too long or too steep (however, after the whole stage to the top from the Oudtshoorn side, this little climb will test most legs). From the top of Teeberg further down, is a winding pass with tight switchbacks and towering cliffs of the most beautiful Cape Fold Mountains all around you (nobody is allowed to call this a district road without facing a challenge from mebiggrin.png ). You descend into a narrow kloof with walls of rock towering a thousand meters high on either side before you suddenly exit onto the Karoo plains and a short (5k or less) tar ride to town.

Sorry if I sound like an evangelist. This place is very dear to me. I rode the Swartberg pass for the 1st time as a kid (a long time ago), on a Western Flyer 10 speed road bike. Kid you not, mountain bikes were still to be invented.

post-17716-0-44593400-1350750019_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-29411200-1350750036_thumb.jpg

My wiife and I were one of the unlucky ones who were stung by bees. We both ended up in hospital on Monday. I am still unable I ride. My wife was feeling fine by the end of yesterday, so I dropped her at Prince Albert this morning, so she could do today's stage.

I'm pretty bummed out, but I guess that's life.

Very sorry to hear that. We were lucky, passed the hives before they got angry!

Just finished the CPT .MTBing does not get better than this .Last stage was wet from the start to the finish .if you dressed correctly this was still a blast .Better than 40deg heat .Best organized ,best terrain ,most scenic..As a middle marker I rode between 5 and 6 hours per day .Already sorry I did not stop enough to take it all in and take more photos .Will not miss another one especially if they keep the stages the same .Rain made 3 stages more challenging ,but all still rideable .Every stage was special .Well done Dryland team for making my life better

Was good to meet you!! I'm still a bit shell shocked after the bad weather - I prefer the 40 deg C!!

This race really has soul - was great to meet all the locals that supported the race/riders!!

Loved this route design compared to 2010 - I think Dryland have found a winning recipe. Provides great balance for all riders prepared to go the distance - from racers to aspirational newcomers. CPT delivered on it's promise.

Noooo dude no.

From the top of the Swartberg Pass down towards Prince Albert is one of the most beautiful and awe inspiring mountain pasess in the world. You have to climb up the Teeberg, but that is not too long or too steep (however, after the whole stage to the top from the Oudtshoorn side, this little climb will test most legs). From the top of Teeberg further down, is a winding pass with tight switchbacks and towering cliffs of the most beautiful Cape Fold Mountains all around you (nobody is allowed to call this a district road without facing a challenge from mebiggrin.png ). You descend into a narrow kloof with walls of rock towering a thousand meters high on either side before you suddenly exit onto the Karoo plains and a short (5k or less) tar ride to town.

Sorry if I sound like an evangelist. This place is very dear to me. I rode the Swartberg pass for the 1st time as a kid (a long time ago), on a Western Flyer 10 speed road bike. Kid you not, mountain bikes were still to be invented.

+1 The Swartberg Pass is magnificent!!! I ride the pass every year. I cannot stay away from it. Pure bliss!!

Got back last night and my opinions on the CPT as follows:

Obviously disappointed that we were of the unlucky ones who got nailed by the bees. My wife and I were both stung over 900 times each. I had to get adrenaline and antihistamines in the field, and missed the next 2 days. My wife didn't react as badly and only missed the Swartberg day. To their credit, the organisers were very flexible and allowed us to rejoin as and when we were able (albeit at the cost of an official finish).

When I did rejoin on the 'short' 65k day through the Kamanassie mountains, I was amazed at the beauty and the difficulty of the route. That day was easily as hard as any day at the Epic this year. But it was beautiful and rewarding. The following 2 days day which saw us go from Heorld down to Geroge and then back up Oudtshoorn over the Outeniqua mountains were just magnificent. So from a route point of view 9/10 (-1 for the bees smile.png )

And then the biggest thing - the friendly people. It was a common theme that just about everyone we dealt with were friendly and genuinely nice. From the guest house owners to the locals helping out with logistics, the race organisers and honestly, just about anyone we met was wonderful. The racers too were really nice - met a hubber or two and just generally enjoyed everyone's company. In fact, we'll probably be down in the cape not too soon to visit some of the people we befriended.

Now it's just the small matter of unfinished business - I can't wait to try do this thing properly next year.

Noooo dude no.

Apologies if I trivialized that piece of road - I can see how people get emotionally attached to those mountains - they really are impressive. In hindsight I was probably not in a position to make an informed assessment.

I am just so darn glad I finished my 1st 7-day stage race, that being the 2012 Cape Pioneer Trek.

In typical rookie fashion, I got caught up in the Prologue hype and hussle and bussle of stage 1 from Oudtshoorn to Calitzdorp......and started off way too fast and pushed my HR and legs a bit too much!!

I also gave it some stick up the Swartberg pass during stage 2. In stage 3 from Prince Albert to De Rust, I started to notice that my power had deserted me, as I battled on most of the climbs....BUT, it was stage 4 through the Kammanassie that was the worst day in my life on a mountainbike. I truly battled to turn the pedals on that day of "only" 64km's!!! It took me over 6 hours to complete that day to Louvain (Herold)!! From then on to George and from George to Oudtshoorn, it became a matter of survival for me. I honestly underestimated the rugged and unforgiving terrain of the Karoo......and also my conditioning and preparation were not what I thought they were.....

BUT, it was the most exhilarating experience that I have ever done. I truly feel so sorry for G-Unit and his wife who could not officially finish the Cape Pioneer Trek due to their attack by the bees on stage 1......what a absolutely freak accident! But, for them it just means unfinished business and that's why I am sure they will go back in 2013....it was great to meet so many new people, i.e. G-Unit and his wife, James Thompson (Olympic Gold medalist) and partner Caroline, Eben Laubsher, Tinus Venter and Gert Marx (Team Mad Dogz) who rode with me from the Kammanassie to Oudtshoorn. This is what the Trek is all about!

The Cape Pioneer Trek provided me the opportunity to ride this race as a solo entry....and that worked for me and many other solo entry riders!! Thanks Dryland!

This IS a mountainbiker's race, good wholesome hospitality at the overnight towns, perfect organisation, marvelous routes, testing TERRAIN and everyone chats to everyone! This is a winning formula that will see the Cape Pioneer Trek going from strength to strength!!!

I will be back in 2013! Better prepared and knowing what to expect from the Karoo!