26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

Yup, could see this one coming. Now that most MTBrs have and old 26er hanging in the garage, a new 29er to brag about, the bike industry had to think up ways to make even more money. Why didn't they go this route earlier?

Thank heavens I did not spend money on a 29er. I can almost hear all bike manufacturers rubbing their hands together for the next round of spending by MTBrs wanting to get one before their mates.

the 650b movement is NOT new... it's been a cult wheel size for quite a while allready especially in the states , most conferts are trail riders who ride for the sake of riding and having fun. breathes life in 26 inch duallies.. you won't believe the difference you get when you slap on a pair of 27.5's on your 26 inch duallie! the beauty is that you DONT buy a whole new bike. just a wheel set. ibrought in one of the first wheelsets in the country and rode them on several 26 inch frames and forks. Nino is using a 26 inch frame (EDIT the swiss power team have 650 specific frames) and the wheels fit in the DT 26 inch forks though i doubt he was using a 26 inch fork since dt allready have a 650 fork

Edited by jeepdude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you say these wheels will fit my BMC FourStroke frame? Interesting....

So I just swop the fork an wheelset and I have a new 650Ber?

So - does anyone know if any of the big brand name manufacturers are (or have already) going to start supplying the 650b frames in SA?

Methinks that I want one of these instead of a 29er - best of both worlds.

I'm guessing we will see then towards the end of this year or early next year. KHS already has one available. Have a look at http://www.650bpalace.com/ I think they have a list of existing 26" frames that can be used with 650b wheels,

So should one use a 26" frame for 27.5" wheels?

Or should one use a 29" frame for 27.5" wheels?

The Scott Schurter was riding at the WC is only a tester. He did stress that it was a bike specifically designed for the wheels rather than an existing frame that could be used with the 650B wheels, and it overcame some of the shortcomings of bigger wheel bike geometry.

I'm guessing we will see then towards the end of this year or early next year. KHS already has one available. Have a look at http://www.650bpalace.com/ I think they have a list of existing 26" frames that can be used with 650b wheels,

Thanks - I saw the KHS frames, not super appealing unfortunately. Ws hoping the likes of Scott, Trek, Merida etc would have a go at the 650b. I think one or two guys were riding Scott 650b's at Pietermaritzburg XC a few weeks back.

Thanks - I saw the KHS frames, not super appealing unfortunately. Ws hoping the likes of Scott, Trek, Merida etc would have a go at the 650b. I think one or two guys were riding Scott 650b's at Pietermaritzburg XC a few weeks back.

You posted after my post. Yup, Schurter was full of praise for his Scott rig after his wins, but I think it may take some time before it becomes widely available. Drop Probike a mail, maybe they can shed some light on it.

You posted after my post. Yup, Schurter was full of praise for his Scott rig after his wins, but I think it may take some time before it becomes widely available. Drop Probike a mail, maybe they can shed some light on it.

Think thats a good idea - will post if I get any positive feedback from the probike boys

where does the Trek 69'er (29' front & 26' rear wheels) fit in ?

In the clown section, filed under desperate to try and make more money.

I've been wanting a 650b for the last 2 years. I have a zula at the moment which I love, but I do feel the wheels are too small. I have also ridden a 29 and I feel the wheels are too big and I cant get cumfy (I'm 6 foot 1 and 80kgs). I've been wanting to get a 120-140mm full sus bike with 650b wheels. 650b was going to be the hit of the year anyway before Nino won this weekend. There are already preproduction leaks from all the fork manufactures.

My style of riding is techincal xc, sani, joberg2c so all different. I love techincal single track, and I think 650b will suit MY riding style. There is no 1 bike for all styles, and no 1 bike for all people. For my budget which is only one bike, I think 650b could be right for me.

+1

Excuse my ignorance but if a 650b wheel fits straight into a 26 inch frame and fork how much clearance is there? And when it rains won't it clog with mud?

Excuse my ignorance but if a 650b wheel fits straight into a 26 inch frame and fork how much clearance is there? And when it rains won't it clog with mud?

Well, well , well someone with brains :thumbup:

After watching guys on the first day of Sani2c 2 years back hitting the mud, we came to the conclusion, fox forks had the most clearence while the rock shox had the worst. If it was bad for 26inch wheels I can't imagine wanting to use a 27.5 inch wheel on a 26inch fork. It was taking guys 20 min to clear the mud.