Rant Discovery Vitality doesnt support Garmin

covie

How can a program like vitality support a signle manufacturer .. in this case POLAR. And not simply the top three manufucturers which in this country is

Garmin

Polar

Sigma.

Mailed them and this is their reply

http://www.discovery.co.za/email_za/mailers/images/banners/disc_vit_do_well_generic.jpg

Thank you for your email querying if can you earn Vitality points, using a Garmin Heart Rate Monitor.

Polar personal trainer is the only partner

We will however put your suggestion to our Partner Relations Department as it is your suggestions that help us upkeep the great benefits of the Vitality Wellness programme.

We cannot approach any companies, including Garmin, and request that they become a Vitality or DiscoveryCard partner, as this would be anti-selective behaviour. For us to consider including the Garmin heart rate monitors as one of Vitality's services, they would have to go through a rigorous application process and be able to fulfil certain requirements.

Should a heart rate monitor company be interested in becoming a Vitality Partner they can simply forward a written proposal to Terry Solomons (terry-annes@discovery.co.za) or Romy Rosen (romyr@discovery.co.za) in our Marketing Services department.

The written proposal should feature:

- the service offering

- how the offering is distributed

- how they see the partnership working with Discovery

Proposals are reviewed monthly with the Vitality Partnership committee and feedback will be provided to the company thereafter.

Please visit www.discovery.co.za to learn more about your Vitality

Regards

Michelle Piliso

Discovery Vitality

Web: http://www.discovery.co.za

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The number of points to be earned is really not worth the high blood pressure from being upset about them not supporting whatever device you use.

By just doing races you rack up points enough points that the base fitness limit is easily attainable by doing an assessment

Reminds me.. I still need to log a few road races for 2012 :)

The number of points to be earned is really not worth the high blood pressure from being upset about them not supporting whatever device you use.

By just doing races you rack up points enough points that the base fitness limit is easily attainable by doing an assessment

Agreed - it would be nice if Garmin became a partner but 5000 points for doing + 100km race (Dischem / Argus) and 3000 for a sub 100km race (94.7) outweighs the benefits of individual training sessions

Its not the points its the blatant marketing gimmic to go buy polar kit. If you really want me to beleive you do crap like this to encourage my health then go do your market research and get it right.

Its just irritating.

Its not the points its the blatant marketing gimmic to go buy polar kit. If you really want me to beleive you do crap like this to encourage my health then go do your market research and get it right..

Marketing is precisely what it is about! If anyone thinks that Vitality is anything other than a marketing gimmick then they are delusional.

Druiwefees: 3000

Emperors: 5000 *pending

Carnival: 5000 *pending

Ride 4 Sight: 5000 *pending

Base fitness miles job done. All I need to do is log another event for the bonus points!

so what you're saying is garmin don't care enough to bother going through their process.good for them

Excuse the ignorance but how do you get points for races? I didn't know that.

Register with SA-Active online.....and follow the instructions to claim points.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Register with SA-Active online.....and follow the instructions to claim points.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lol SA-Active is probably the most incomplete website when it comes to cycling as well so lets not get me started with them.

Marketing is precisely what it is about! If anyone thinks that Vitality is anything other than a marketing gimmick then they are delusional.

Pretty strong words there, Clint. Especially from.someone in the industry. Are you a Momentum agent, by any chance?

Forcing consumers to use certain brands or products is what vitality is all about... Also the benefits you gain especially if you dont have a Discoverycard is not really amazing.

I do log races through Sa-Active but Vitality is definately not motivating me to do them...

Lol SA-Active is probably the most incomplete website when it comes to cycling as well so lets not get me started with them.

Agreed.......That's why I started running... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: LOL. But one can always "create" a cycling event.....and then your points are in the bag.....

This is the way marketing works.

Pro teams get paid to use certain bike frames, cycling kit and energy products, which helps them build a budget to attract the best riders etc..

Vitality is similar but they do it to offer services for their members. (and profits for their shareholders) It would not surprise me if Polar pays Vitality an annual marking fee to be their "preferred" hrm.

Their Discovery Credit card is probably the best rewards program out there. Works for me and works for them. Thats called a win win.

Add SUUNTO to the list of top products - also not on the preferred partners list.

If Discovery gets you fired up, have a look at how products get to have the Heart Foundation's logo on them ... It's all about money.