Best Mountain biking Town in SA?

neildp

Hi

Just wondering, where would you say is the best mountainbiking town in SA? Could it be Knysna, Stellenbosch? Haenertsburg, PMB?

Taking everything into account, bike parks, singletrack, scenery, safety etc?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely that's a bit like asking which is the best surfing town in SA? Some will say Durban because of the choices and consistency, others will say J-Bay because of the epic Supertubes etc :)

I am hardly an expert but Durban must surely be fairly high up on that list not based on actual parks in Durban but those in close proximity. You have Giba in Pinetown/Hillcrest (13km), Holla in Ballito (46km), Cascades inland (66km), Clearwater Trails in Port Edward (153km) as well as places like Karkloof and the Transkei on your doorstep.

Edited by Clint_ZA

How big an area of travel are you allowed? I would say Stellenbosch for the amount of riding that is possible in a small area, I felt pretty safe riding by myself as a tourist. But then again Durban would also include a fair amount of riding spots within a 30km radius, and no hijackings of any kind that I have heard of in a loooooong time(touch wood) and loads of single track.

if you don't want to be too subjective i think you can answer that question by asking where Specialized have based their SA operation.

I would punt knysna, but everytime i ride there i seem to spend a LOT of time cleaning my bike too. ag hell, they're all winners

If a town then it can't be Durban. Only Cape Town.

Of course we have come to excuse our less intelligent brothers for their repeated reference to their city as a town... ;)

If a town then it can't be Durban. Only Cape Town.

Or P-Town!! (Pretoria) It are the kiefest place to trap a dikwiel!

I think my town Somerset West might win this:

On my doorstep:

Lourensford with 120km dirt road including lots of single tracks, this is mtb heaven

Schapenberg trails, can stay on the dirt and ride into Grabouw MTO area

Helderberg College trails

Helderberg trails, can ride into the Eden Stellenbosch trails

Can ride along the railway line to Bottelary trails in Stellenbosch

Then Stellenbosch is just 20min away by car with:

Jonkershoek is a world class mtb area

Bottelary trails

Eden forrest

Then Grabouw is also just 20mins away by car:

Ok Im getting tired now Grabouw is another world class mtb mecca with lots of different options

For mtb Somerset West is hard to beat, no wonder the Epic ends here.

Edited by Berg Bok