Stage race for foreigners

anthemic

Hi guys

I am looking to enter a stage race in SA next year with an Irish buddy of mine, been bragging to him for ages about the quality races in SA, but not sure which is best to enter.

Obviously Epic is the holy grail for SA stage races, but not sure we'll get entry and might be biting off a little too much first up.

I previously did the Sabiexperience a few years ago and love it, but ideally they want to see the Cape.

Whats the Pioneer like as an event, is it tough to get entries etc etc?

Any other events we should consider for next year?

Thanks

Gar

The Pioneer has a much more relaxed feel to it than the Epic, but can be as tough as the Epic if you come unprepared.

It is a much smaller event and more intimate, but just as much fun.

I read a few pro's rider profiles the other day and when asked which race was their favourite, they all replied Sani2C!

I'm doing it in month's time, so will be able to give feedback then.

Cape Pioneer Trek

- Land in George, get Renier to pick you and your bicycle up with his kombi at the airport and drop you in Oudtshoorn where you start and finish.

- Every day in a different town, like old epic days.

- Half the price of the epic

- You can ride it solo

- 250 teams max, not so hectic as with 600 teams and so many pro's

- Easy to get an entry as it is not as popular as the epic or the sani2c, but if you have done one you wanna go back for more

- Route this year (2012) will be easier than previous years, the goal I think is to have the back markers in within 6 hours each day and not 10 or 11 hours

- Kevin Evans and many other pro's love the TREK and Sauser uses it as a holiday racing week

- Historical routes and beautiful scenery

- Food, water points, facilities, support, organizers,etc. very good

- It's in the Klein Karoo, Western Cape

- Everyone are treated like a pro, not just the pro's ;)

I can go on and on and on, but go see for yourselves :)

http://www.capepioneer.co.za/

Some YouTube videos

http://www.thehubsa....rek-2011-route/

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KNyXUcaek1w/THkl9ODJX4I/AAAAAAAABJY/ZEg2FOoD0hA/S1600-R/PioneerTrekDay6_073.jpg

If you send me your email address via PM I will send you the full listing of all mtb stage events in 2012. I will mark the ones that I think would be suitable

Another option is Joberg2C

- 9 days of racing

- Each night in a different Town

- Last 3 days incorporates the Sani2C routes

- Long stages, but not body and bike breakers like the Epic / Pioneer

Doing my second Sani2C this year, but will do a Joberg2C soon. If you are coming out to SA, you might as well get 9 days of riding in

• 1 month later...

Ok so Sani2C done! What an awesome race. Some of the best single track i've ever done. Definitely worth doing. The food is great, had hot showers all the time, massage facilities and a whole lot of people in good spirit!

the guys that stayed in the tent next to us, even managed to pack themselves 3 bottles of red wine in their black box!

Imana wild ride,

Without doubt the best experience for a foreigner.

Get to ride on the beach, sea the beautiful and rural eastern cape, and get to contribute to the building of classrooms for poor schools

For a shorter event, Sani2c. Biggest problem will be getting an entry, and with an overseas partner its difficult to pick up one for sale in the week before the start. I suspect this will be a problem for other events too.

Jhb2c is not yet in over-demand, for me this would be the best option. It also covers 3 provinces, for a vaiety of SA scenery.

Imana wild ride,

Without doubt the best experience for a foreigner.

Get to ride on the beach, sea the beautiful and rural eastern cape, and get to contribute to the building of classrooms for poor schools

and surely one of the most impossible races to get an entry for? Only 15 spots for people who haven't done it before. Would love to do it but not spending 20 years on that waiting list... :cursing: