Petrol price-up another 28c

Mojoman

Won't bother the Taxi's much. Pretty sure they are subsidised. When last did you hear of them getting upset over fuel increases?

I have suspected this myself for quite some time now. You NEVER see them complaining about petrol prices. Same with the tolls taxis got exempted. I would really like to know if this was true. Perhaps there's a hubber out there who knows ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have heard is that taxis get paid for transporting children too school. So for 13 children ie: one full taxi, they get subsidised, however they take on board 26children meaning they get twice the amount for 1 trip. This means the taxi driver can now do his normal day trips with money which was supposedly received for transport of pupils.

If the lack of funding on the E-tolling system is being subsidised by a fuel levy(as some have mentioned on the hub as well as elsewhere) then are we Cape Tonians not getting screwed over by paying for roads that we'll probably only be using once or twice a year? Just a thought..

If the lack of funding on the E-tolling system is being subsidised by a fuel levy(as some have mentioned on the hub as well as elsewhere) then are we Cape Tonians not getting screwed over by paying for roads that we'll probably only be using once or twice a year? Just a thought..

I think you have hit the nail on the head ... I live in Gauteng and might use the motorway once in 2 months same situation. Put the petrol price up and everyone pays.

I wonder how the Taxi industry will take this, and all the people worse off then you and I?

Won't bother the Taxi's much. Pretty sure they are subsidised. When last did you hear of them getting upset over fuel increases?

They just pass the increase in cost on to the passengers. They are the ones who get upset

The monthly fuel price change, which can be an increase or a decrease, is solely linked to the import parity of the fuel in question which in turn is determined by daily posted and spot prices in internationally traded markets linked to US$ based crude oil prices, and then converted to Rand using the ZAR/USD exchange rate (known as the Basic Fuel Price and which makes up one of the fuel price components together with other price elements and taxes/duties). Plot the ZAR/bbl price of Brent, lagged by 30 days, and you'll see a near perfect correlation of the direction (up or down) and magnitude of fuel price changes.

Nobody, read NOBODY, enjoys subsidies linked to the pump price of fuel, although retail service stations are at liberty to offer discounts for diesel, whereas NOBODY is allowed to discount the pump price of petrol.

Also, this news shouldn't come as a shock, as the daily over or under recovery of the Basic Fuel Price is published in the newspapers daily, and the price adjustment is based on the average over/(under) recovery from the 26th of a month to the 25th of the next month, and is adjusted on every first Wednesday of the month. An under-recovery signals a price increase, whereas an over-recover signals a price decrease.

Get the KY jelly ready!

You are going to have to use KY.

Due to the petrol increase, none of us can afford vaseline anymore.

You are going to have to use KY.

Due to the petrol increase, none of us can afford vaseline anymore.

Use your shammy cream instead

Use your shammy cream instead

Real men dont use Shammy cream.

We use beer.

(not for lubrication, but for numbness and memory loss)

Anybody thought about what it means for us not to buy crude from Iran anymore? Smacks of Iraq all over again. I'd say this is just the beginning.

Just traded the Volvo 2 litre for a retro Nissan 1400. It would be cheaper to run cvars on Coca-Cola.

I'm fortunate enough to get company petrol so I don't really check the petrol price much - I checked it out last week and DAMN HOLY BAZOOKA OF ALL THINGS SANE - it'll be over R12/litre after this hike.

When did that happen?

CPI is supposed to be 6% but in April 2010 the petrol price was R8.40/litre in April 2012 it will be R12.05/litre.

Thats a 43% increase in 2 years...fook!

:eek:

Just traded the Volvo 2 litre for a retro Nissan 1400. It would be cheaper to run cvars on Coca-Cola.

Yip. Going to trade in all the big engined company cars for smaller engined vehicles. Will have to up our tariffs as well. Going to be a couple of miffed clients calling us next week, but what is a company of our size meant to do?