Coffee machine

I am looking for an old manual grinder..the coffee shop at my wife's shop had one and it grinds brilliantly...will also make a nice feature in the kitchen..there's is a spong. Anyone know where to find them apart from eBay..which, last resort I will get my sister to bring over from the UK in April

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a stepless grinder as well. Pulled first shot, Machine choked, no extraction, after some more adjustment, still nothing, third time, half a shot, next adjustment, almost there, next one and it's too coarse, so I went back and forth until I thought I had it, but clearly didn't. Beans were quite fresh though, so I reckon the fresher the bean, the coarser the grind? Going to get a kilo of beans from the WW cafe now and start again.

Spinner, it sounds like your tamping pressure may be inconsistent. It needs to be absolutely the same, from one shot to the next, otherwise your grind will not be the only variable.

Could well be. But also saw a substantial difference in basket fill with the same dosage as the other beans. Looked a lot less.

Could well be. But also saw a substantial difference in basket fill with the same dosage as the other beans. Looked a lot less.

I never had much luck with dosing. Try ignoring the dosage, and filling the basket so it's heaped, then sweeping off the excess with a (clean) finger, then tamping.

I am looking for an old manual grinder..the coffee shop at my wife's shop had one and it grinds brilliantly...will also make a nice feature in the kitchen..there's is a spong. Anyone know where to find them apart from eBay..which, last resort I will get my sister to bring over from the UK in April

Some of the coffee snobs here will look down on you for not just getting a burr grinder, but I want the rustic charm of an old-school coffee grinder :D

Gf got a coffee mill at the Pta Boera Mark this morning. Hope you have something similar in KZN.

Some of the coffee snobs here will look down on you for not just getting a burr grinder, but I want the rustic charm of an old-school coffee grinder :D

Gf got a coffee mill at the Pta Boera Mark this morning. Hope you have something similar in KZN.

Lol..perhaps they might...but the old one definitely has a charm about it...and the one they have grinds to espresso grade just fine

Hi guys

I've been following this for a while and there's some awesome info on here.

V12man, you know your stuff by the sound of what you say on here and with all the help you give the okes.

I need some help please,,

Some time ago when working for the company we were using a Seaco Odea machine and i really liked it

I'm not sure how how long they will last though.

We drink coffee black in our house and we don't really make any milky stuff or Cuppachino's, it might be nice for guests but we don't use sugar or milk

I'm looking for something not more than R1000(sorry-edited to R10 000.....tien duisend Randelas

It must take beans on the top and water and it must be self cleaning

Can you guys give me any recommendations and where to buy it

Thanks a lot

Edited by tunariaan

We drink coffee black in our house and we don't really make any milky stuff or Cuppachino's, it might be nice for guests but we don't use sugar or milk

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/Moka2.jpg/180px-Moka2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

Makes strong coffee, is cheap and easy to use.

Unfortunately, the steam extracting the coffee out of the grind might be too hot (especially at sea level).

The wikipedia article states that a moka pot only runs up to 1.5 bar vs the 9 bar mandated for espressos by an American Coffee Association, so it might not be espresso, but it makes damn good coffee.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/general-news/27938-moka-pot-vs-espresso-machine-guest-appearance-andy-freeman.html

According to that article, 93C is optimal for extracting coffee out of the grind. That means being a cheapie coffee fan who uses a Moka Pot in Jhb is cool as the higher altitude means our water boils at lower temp and we should thus be able to enjoy Moka Pot coffee inland more than at sea level.

Fresh coffee grind is the most NB step to making good coffee.

@ <R1k budget I don't know what other options you have.

We drink coffee black in our house and we don't really make any milky stuff or Cuppachino's, it might be nice for guests but we don't use sugar or milk. I'm looking for something not more than R1000. It must take beans on the top and water and it must be self cleaning. Can you guys give me any recommendations and where to buy it.

Spend your money on a good grinder and an AeroPress. Really.

sorry gents,, bietjie van n slipperige vinger...lol

Budget is R10 000

i have one of these aluminium thingys all ready bit it a bit of a mission

It goes with when i camp

Budget is R10 000

It goes with when i camp

I have a Sprada Future.

You will get some change for your R10k.

We're very happy with it.

Budget is R10 000

It goes with when i camp

Definitely look into the Jura range - www.jura.co.za, and you can look at the deLongi's at dion wired - they have some starting from about 5700.

FFS can't believe what I'm reading.

Obviously too much $ and too little grey.

Good coffee and a good percolator.

Good coffee = R200 / kg

Good percolator = R450