Coffee machine

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't even know such a thing existed but I see the need for it.

found another from Coffee Hit in the UK, but hellishly pricey at 48 pounds!

Im looking to get a grinder to pair up with my espresso machine.

Is the Hario Skerton manual grinders good enough for espresso shots?

Or should i go electric?

Let's see who else bites. I am also looking at linking up with someone who might be in the States.

OK - Let me know

Im looking to get a grinder to pair up with my espresso machine.

Is the Hario Skerton manual grinders good enough for espresso shots?

Or should i go electric?

It is ok for espresso - but I don't have the patience for more than occasional hand grinder use - go electric  - the bigger the better

It does the job, but if I knew what I know now a few years ago, I would never have bought a ceramic burr hand grinder. When using a good steel burr hand grinder you save time, and the grind is more consistent. Paying a bit more now for a grinder that will last, and which you will keep on using for a long time is actually the cost effective solution. Trust me, I have been through this exercise.

I agree, my hario, being a hario is great... would I buy one again? No.

As far as hand grinders go, what would you recommend that won't bankrupt me?. My Krupps electric burr is creeping when I grind. I have contemplated opening it up and giving it a service but if it doesn't go back together.... I'll be needing a new one. Hand grinder seems like an option. Moka pot and aeropress mainly. My Delonghi doesn't have enough pressure for a proper espresso grind...

As far as hand grinders go, what would you recommend that won't bankrupt me?. My Krupps electric burr is creeping when I grind. I have contemplated opening it up and giving it a service but if it doesn't go back together.... I'll be needing a new one. Hand grinder seems like an option. Moka pot and aeropress mainly. My Delonghi doesn't have enough pressure for a proper espresso grind...

Koldserve have some Chinese grinders that should be ok for this - looks like an ek43 sort of... economical too.

Koldserve have some Chinese grinders that should be ok for this - looks like an ek43 sort of... economical too.

How much are those koldserv "EK"

After using my Madebyknock grinder for a few days, I can honestly only recommend a steel burr hand grinder. It takes about 25 seconds to grind 14g for a double espresso and the grind quality is very high. With a ceramic burr grinder you will take close to two minutes to grind 14g for espresso. It was about R2200 landed, which is expensive for a hand grinder but the ease of use and quality more than make up for it.

This good old saying is applicable:"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

A vintage hand grinder like PeDe, Zassenhaus etc is also a good option, some of those can be found for under R500 and most of them have steel burrs of about 35mm diameter.