RIDICULOUS COSTS FOR RACES

keepin up

why is it that there is no control for the entry costs for a race. Surely we are not succeeding in promoting road racing, when you are paying R285.00 for a 100k race and R130 for a 40k race. AND these are the "early bird" fees, ie a discounted price!

Cyclists should do something about it!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind paying these prices if the races are 100% well organised, but a race like Northerns Quickie, where the so called Powerade tasted like blue water, as it was diluted 150 times, then I mind paying.

A race like 94.7 Cycle challenge, awesome organisation etc..

why is it that there is no control for the entry costs for a race. Surely we are not succeeding in promoting road racing, when you are paying R285.00 for a 100k race and R130 for a 40k race. AND these are the "early bird" fees, ie a discounted price!

Simple really, we just don't enter.

I don't mind paying these prices if the races are 100% well organised, but a race like Northerns Quickie, where the so called Powerade tasted like blue water, as it was diluted 150 times, then I mind paying.

A race like 94.7 Cycle challenge, awesome organisation etc..

its the Amashovashova road race i refer to.

Why do you want to enter races...when you can join a club and do all the outrides your heart can desire???

I don't think that racing fees are too expensive. It must cost quite a bit to organise a race, and the organisers are taking a financial risk. Although I'd love to race for free, I'm willing to pay for what I get.

Also, if you look at the overall cost of cycling (tyres, chains, lube, clothing, services, etc.), paying R285.00 for a race is not too much in my opinion.

CBS

I did a 40km mtb ride on Sunday and it cost me 6 euros.The 90km was 12 euros(no goodie bag).They had water points at 15 and 30km with bananas,chocolate pieces,waffles and coke.

At the finish i got a beer and pasta.

I did a 40km mtb ride on Sunday and it cost me 6 euros.The 90km was 12 euros(no goodie bag).They had water points at 15 and 30km with bananas,chocolate pieces,waffles and coke.

At the finish i got a beer and pasta.

I am not going to get into this price thing but any race that has beer and pasta at the end i will support.hell it might even make me faster to get to the end.

I enter races for the route + experience only. I could not care less about the goodybag and medal at the end. So that is why I am very selective lately about the races. I want something to remember

For example, the MTN Sabie was brutal and brilliant. I will pay for that route. The Nissan Hazeldean is flat and boring. I can do flat and boring anytime. I will not pay for flat and boring.

That is why I think stage racing is worth the money. Most of the routes you never get to ride if you are not doing the event and you get a brilliant experience (including off the bike)

Edited by Grondpad

In my first year of cycling(mtb) I did a race every month, but had a complete mindshift,

Since January this year, I just ride for the joy of it, do as many outrides as possible, and a race now and then if I really want to.

This worked wonders, I'm fitter than I've been last year, did some nice rides, met up with an awesome bunch of people at Epic Sports in Centurion, AND most importantly, I fell in love with mb'ing all over again.

That's how I will continue to roll from now on

Multisport races get very expensive compared to Cycling only, Simple 5/40/2.5 Duathlon cost something like R300.

+100%

Kinetic spint adventure race = 25km = R650