SRAM vs SHIMANO

J0KER

Hi Hubbers !

So this Might have been a thread topic before But I'm planning on some upgrades in the near future :)

So in terms of MTB groupsets, which is best and why ? Sram or Shimano ? (For trail/allmountain riding style)

Thanx guys !

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hubbers !

So this Might have been a thread topic before But I'm planning on some upgrades in the near future :)

So in terms of MTB groupsets, which is best and why ? Sram or Shimano ? (For trail/allmountain riding style)

Thanx guys !

I am going to go through the same debate next year so have started looking in. I think i am leaning towards the SRAM X0 or X9 build kit - X0 if money permits it....

Edited by Stretch

I am going to go through the same debate next year so have started looking in. I think i am leaning towards the SRAM X0 build kit

:thumbup:

We have 7 bikes at home, used by 4 riders. Groupsets vary from Shimano SLX to XTR and SRAM XX.

I will not pay money again for SRAM. If somebody gives me SRAM, I will put it in my black trunk and donate it to someone that I dont like.

Really.

I have 4 bikes - all shimano. No chice in my mind XT and ultegra are the best value for money.

We have both the 2012 Shimano XT and SRAM XX, the SRAM is lighter and better with regard to shifting, it's more precise by far.

But the Shimano XT has better brakes.

Personally I think the best groupset would be an XX groupset with XTR brakes or even better the Formula R1 brakes.

We have 7 bikes at home, used by 4 riders. Groupsets vary from Shimano SLX to XTR and SRAM XX.

I will not pay money again for SRAM. If somebody gives me SRAM, I will put it in my black trunk and donate it to someone that I dont like.

Really.

Please hate me.

After actually fealing the new xt and xtr brakes, I can honestly say they're my favorite brakes at the moment :D

And is it worth the extra dough to go 10spd ? Is there a big enough difference ?

initial investigation into SRAM I see you can go for a 2x10 or 3x10 - and the 3X10 is slight cheaper - go figure!

Had the SRAM XO gripshift, Loved it. Now have new XT 10speed groupset, great brakes and shifting. I have a bit more chainslap with Shimano than SRAM.

Guest Omega Man

@zoidburg. When it comes to the type of question you are asking you are mainly only gonna get guys recommending what they are running. which is cool but it's not exactly scientific. And yes, I'm going to recommend what I'm running too.

I've always been a SRAM guy. Not because of any specific reason. I guess they have always just been on the bikes i've bought. I like the feel and look of the X0 shifters. Maybe it's just a familiarity thing.

However.

I've just bought Hope V2's from crc for my DH bike. I can honestly say they are by far the best brakes I've ever seen. let alone used. Not only were they were cheaper than the Avid Codes I was looking at they come out the factory with goodridge braided hoses.

Nowadays most items you buy look like they've come off of a nameless production line in the east. That's mainly cos they have. Hope is different. They are cnc machined in the UK. The caliper and master cylinder are cnc'd out of one billet of ali. They are polished with walnut shells. The lever reach and pad contact adjustment clicks feel like the clicks on my BOS shock. They really are a work of art.

Why have what every single one of your riding buddies have? Have something a little different. Something that looks like a man in a coat named Ken worked on. Yes I love Hope. They look amazing. The feel of them is great. And the stopping power will show up any dodgy dental work.

For you I'd recommend the M4 or X2 which are more xc and trail/freeride orientated.

Edited by Omega Man