Bike Service rip off

Foxpox

Is there any reputable bike shop who actually services bikes properly. I am on about my 5th now. It's not about price. Just do the job properly and on time , it's not all about cost. I am gatvol of always getting my bike back late and then having to go back in because something's not working. I got told today at a new shop that the front pads that were replaced last month are stuffed and don't look a month old!!! Ive complained plenty times before but it always fall on deaf ears and its a pain in the arse trapping around during work hours to and from bike shops. C'mon guys , nobody wants to see you battle ! I hear the same moans about this all the time. Just behave professionally and treat your clients as clients , we spend good cash at your shops and dont deserve to be treated like idiots by you or your staff. How many of you offer to deliver bikes back after a service (home,office etc)?People will gladly pay for this. Kom kernels, word wakker

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Invest in a good set of tools and a little DIY skills and you will never look back.

Google is your friend for everything you need to know DIY wise.

For example changing a set of brakepads is a 15 minute job that could save your life. Most bike shop mechanics ive come across dont really care about your bike. They just want to get through the day.

Give the Cyclists Workshop a try!

First shop that never just changed my chain for no reason! Had very good dealings with Josh and my bikes are always well looked after!

I recently referred a mate to him who also had trouble finding a good shop to service his bike and now he's more than happy with the quality of work and price!

Give him a try, his number is 0732617483.

Invest in a good set of tools and a little DIY skills and you will never look back.

For example changing a set of brakepads is a 15 minute job that could save your life. Most bike shop mechanics ive come across dont really care about your bike. They just want to get through the day.

+10000

I'm looking at doing a general mechanic/DIY course soon, nothing like doing it yourself and knowing it is done right, and between the cost of the course and 3-4 services and you've paid for it.

G

Good book to start with is Big Blue Book by Shimano.

G

DIY is by far the best way to go....there are plenty books to help if you need guidance

Give the Cyclists Workshop a try!

First shop that never just changed my chain for no reason! Had very good dealings with Josh and my bikes are always well looked after!

I recently referred a mate to him who also had trouble finding a good shop to service his bike and now he's more than happy with the quality of work and price!

Give him a try, his number is 0732617483.

Cheers. Must be a gap for some dude willing to be a bit pro-active as well and run a service on the go thing such a picking up your bike or just coming round and servicing the bike at home/office. A small inventory of spares and a registry of his clients bikes parts is all that he would need and I am sure he could do quite nicely out of this..... The okes who just ripped me off our a Joburg Northern Suburbs shop who I gave 30k to 1yr ago for my 29r. Chops

I do some jobs myself, some jobs I'm not too confident about but I'm getting there.

Youtube (and/or google and a std bike maintenance book) are your friends.

If at all possible, a bike stand or (in my case) a bike rack that allows you to work on your bike at a sensible height and spin the wheels is essential.

Then I stick the bike on the turbo to test it in anger.

:-)

B.

I have had very good service from Mike's Bikes in Greenside. Never felt that I was being pushed to do anything I did not need, and treated nicely by Jean and Mike. My experience at some of the other larger and more well known bike shops were along the lines of those described by the OP.

Is there any reputable bike shop who actually services bikes properly. I am on about my 5th now. It's not about price. Just do the job properly and on time , it's not all about cost. I am gatvol of always getting my bike back late and then having to go back in because something's not working. I got told today at a new shop that the front pads that were replaced last month are stuffed and don't look a month old!!! Ive complained plenty times before but it always fall on deaf ears and its a pain in the arse trapping around during work hours to and from bike shops. C'mon guys , nobody wants to see you battle ! I hear the same moans about this all the time. Just behave professionally and treat your clients as clients , we spend good cash at your shops and dont deserve to be treated like idiots by you or your staff. How many of you offer to deliver bikes back after a service (home,office etc)?People will gladly pay for this. Kom kernels, word wakker

I see you are in Sandton.

The best LBS by far (imho) and pretty close to you is Mikes Bikes in Greenside 011 8888868

I used to service bikes for people at their homes. But it becomes a bit of a problem when they think you work 24/7 and cannot accept the fact that fitting a new groupset he bought,

at 22H00 the night is just not going to work.

I love doing my own bike maintenance. It is a bit of a learning curve and it takes time to build up a nice set of tools. Can be a bit scary at times especially when doing things the first time but if you got Google, the HUB, some cycling mates its actually easy.

I can understand the frustration that you feel regarding comebacks and sloppy service. As nice as it sounds do you really think that your average bike shop can afford to provide a pickup and delivery service? Logistically it would be a nightmare and I don’t see it being practical at all…think about it.

On the udder hand… The traveling repairman idea could have some potential to it if someone was prepared to invest what it would take to stock up a van with tools and spares, but the problem would be where would they do the repairs during the week while most folks are working? Access to [insert your employers name here] might be an issue, and the time lost traveling between clients would be difficult [read expensive] to recuperate.

If your not into the DYI bit it would probably would be easier and cheaper to buy a few beers once a month and develop a better relationship with your LBS.

i've learnt to do my own bike maintenance simply because the prices shops charge in my opinion are outrageous. the thing is though, if you've paid for a service to be done, you kinda expect it to be done properly, not a half arsed job. I waited 3/4 weeks for cycle concepts in Waterfall to phone me about whether they could get a specific color of bar tape for me (for which I've already paid I might add), i've been in twice since i asked and twice they said they'll phone the rep and get back to me. today i went in and they said they couldn't get the color... i'll repeat that... i went in,... i'll vote with my wallet... crc will get my money from here on in.

I can understand the frustration that you feel regarding comebacks and sloppy service. As nice as it sounds do you really think that your average bike shop can afford to provide a pickup and delivery service? Logistically it would be a nightmare and I don’t see it being practical at all…think about it.

On the udder hand… The traveling repairman idea could have some potential to it if someone was prepared to invest what it would take to stock up a van with tools and spares, but the problem would be where would they do the repairs during the week while most folks are working? Access to [insert your employers name here] might be an issue, and the time lost traveling between clients would be difficult [read expensive] to recuperate.

If your not into the DYI bit it would probably would be easier and cheaper to buy a few beers once a month and develop a better relationship with your LBS.

if a guy can afford and is happy to pay for that type of service, then it shouldn't be an issue. the problem comes in when a guy can afford it, the bike shop lets him down. I don't think it's about the money, rather about the quality of service you receive for the money paid.