Bike Service rip off

Foxpox

A lot of the motorbike shops in the JHB area offer a pick up and deliver service (at least so I have been told). They can only carry max 5-6 bikes on a bakkie and a trailer. Why can't a bicycle shop offer the same service? In Durban that type of service is unheard of. Most of the LBS around here hold themselves in pretty high esteem (I am generalising, but in my experience, I don't trust anybody that works in a bike shop based on my own personal experiences). Learn to do it yourself or find somebody private that works from home. There are a few guys that enjoy the DIY side and will for a nominal fee service your bike after hours. It may take a bit longer but I am sure it will be worth it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Bike service rip off" is the exact reason I started my service as I was tired of dealing with bad workmanship and incompitance. In association with one of the best bicycle maintenance companies - Bicycle Maintenance Company, Getafix Cycles collects and delivers your bicycles in the Cape Town area. www.getafixcycles.com

BMC really know their stuff, their technicians know more about bicycles than anyone else I've been to.

In the Cape Town area we have workshops that do very good work. The turnaround time may sometimes be a little longer than what you would expect, but the quality of work more than makes up for time.

Really? There are also some horrific ones... I've had my crank arm come off while riding straight after a shop fitted a new BB in a service (quite dangerous as it was still attached to my shoe and very close to my back wheel) - my frame came back from another shop with a crack down the front of the headtube which they denied any knowledge of (irrespective of the cause, they should have seen it at least - once again fairly dangerous error!) - I've paid for new parts and had second hand parts fitted - most recently I had the shock on my brand new dual suspension frame swapped for a lower model while the bike was assembled (still to be resolved, but that's straight theft in my opinion).

DIY is the way to go, some people arent inclined that way but its not really that hard with Youtube and Google around.

I have taken my bike to a couple of shops around Fourways and Sandton when I didn't have the time to do the repairs/upgrades myself but I have always been disappointed with the shoddy workmanship.

1. Had my drivetrain changed, somehow the guys managed to break my freehub, having me replaced it at another shop down the line. Also they installed my new crankset on my old frame without any spacers, having the crank being able to move side to side.

2. After a year of not using them, I decided to give the same bike shop the opportunity to bleed my brakes, they left them full of air and inconsistent, and had the nerve to adjust my seat position and scratch my new carbon bar - just did the brakes myself this weekend after buying a bleeding kit.

Consider this: 1 cost me R360 to install. I bought the tools to do it for around R200. 2 cost me R140 to bleed, but I managed to buy all the bits to bleed avid brakes for R350.

DIY is the always the way to go, you know when something feels wrong, and if you mess something up you can always ask someone on the hub or take it to the LBS.

Next thing on my list is servicing my own fork. Probably the hardest of the lot but not willing to send the Manitou fork to cape town to get it done.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I am professional UCI MTB cycling coach and World Cup experienced bike mechanic. I am working for Kevin Evans, Dave George and James Reid from Team 360life Nedbank. I have some spare time left :-)

If you need a professional bike service, setup or you looking for a cycling coach give me a shout!

mail to:

kalamazzo68@gmail.com

Ride on, Swen

Swen do you have the inside story as to the (epic) failure of KE's brakes last Epic? Pistons melted or what ... ?

Yes, tell us - we are dying to know the Truth!!!!

Invest in a good set of tools and a little DIY skills and you will never look back.

Google is your friend for everything you need to know DIY wise.

For example changing a set of brakepads is a 15 minute job that could save your life. Most bike shop mechanics ive come across dont really care about your bike. They just want to get through the day.

+1

Managed to service my Rock Shox Dual U turn the other day, R300 in parts which can be used over and I don't have to fork out R1000 for a bike shop to stuff it up! My bike gives me less hassles in the long run now.

I'm fortunate that my buddy who is one of the best private bike mechanics around pops around for dinner nearly every evening. He takes care of all our bikes so there is never any hassles, comebacks or unnecessary part replacement.

If he wasn't here I would sitill do most of it myself.

Hi Swen

As we've chatted in Pvt, guess everyone should know you're based in Cape Town.

For those interested, what would the rates be.

G

Hi Guys

I am professional UCI MTB cycling coach and World Cup experienced bike mechanic. I am working for Kevin Evans, Dave George and James Reid from Team 360life Nedbank. I have some spare time left :-)

If you need a professional bike service, setup or you looking for a cycling coach give me a shout!

mail to:

kalamazzo68@gmail.com

Ride on, Swen

I'm fortunate that my buddy who is one of the best private bike mechanics around pops around for dinner nearly every evening. He takes care of all our bikes so there is never any hassles, comebacks or unnecessary part replacement.

If he wasn't here I would sitill do most of it myself.

He sounds like a great guy, :thumbup: .

You are very lucky to have such a good friend and I really hope you tell him exactly how much you appreciate his valuable service and friendship.

i would be delighted to have a reliable, responsive crowd who can deliver and collect, since i just dont have the time to drop and collect and therefore also not to go the DIY route. I used to have somebody who provided excellent serviceand i supported and recommended him several times on the hub, but unfortunately since about a year or so ago things went off the rails when he became rather unresponsive, workmanship being bad and charging me for parts which he then ends up not replacing... so anybody out there in sandton area please contact me.

TheV

hmm, where do you eat dinner every night ;)...

G

He sounds like a great guy, :thumbup: .

You are very lucky to have such a good friend and I really hope you tell him exactly how much you appreciate his valuable service and friendship.

Yes, tell us - we are dying to know the Truth!!!!

Well we had theories of Al discs that melted, pads that melted, ... and Kev was not forthcoming as to the root cause in the Epic Tale. I just wont sleep well at night until I know the truth.

Really? There are also some horrific ones... I've had my crank arm come off while riding straight after a shop fitted a new BB in a service (quite dangerous as it was still attached to my shoe and very close to my back wheel) - my frame came back from another shop with a crack down the front of the headtube which they denied any knowledge of (irrespective of the cause, they should have seen it at least - once again fairly dangerous error!) - I've paid for new parts and had second hand parts fitted - most recently I had the shock on my brand new dual suspension frame swapped for a lower model while the bike was assembled (still to be resolved, but that's straight theft in my opinion).

Thats crazy :eek: Not just an error?