Why no Demo fleets?

Andymann

My Fiancé is one of the top Triathletes/duathletes in SA at the moment. She’s either placed in the top 3, or won most of the big Tri/Du series held in SA, as well as completed 70.3 twice and an IM. She is also one of the very lucky few who has a great sponsor who really looks after her exceptionally well.

Thing is, in the I-Flex series there are 3 off-road events, and to try and attract entrants to the off-road/trail run option, the routes are pretty non-technical. Read “extremely suited to 29ers”. Like it or not, the 29er is going to give an elite athlete at least a couple of minutes in this type of terrain. In an event where you put elastics on your shoes to save 20s in transition, 1min is a huge gap to make up in a 2.5km run – almost impossible.

So – currently second in the series, 2 off-road events to go, 26er not really suited – what do we do? She could ask her sponsor for a 29er – but while she does a bit of MTB from time to time mostly for cross-training, it’s not her key discipline, so would really not be fair to ask. We could just buy a 29er – but with a wedding early next year and a planned honeymoon – we need the cash. Or, she could approach one of the local distributors and ask to use a demo for the last two events, offer to insure, maintain and pay for any damage and in return guarantee at least 30s of TV time as well as a mention of the brand etc etc – all the things which distributors love.

Many calls and emails later, seems there are no distributors in SA with demo fleets? Now I used to work at one of the big Japanese motorcycle distributors, and we had a demo fleet for exactly this purpose – the DeWildt Ride before you buy netted us great publicity and a few good sales to boot, so it does work. And, at the end of the financial year, when the demos had depreciated we were still able make some margin by selling them off at reduced prices. I suppose you cant really compare MTB and Motorcycles (or can you?), but one would think that in a very competitive market, allowing someone to test or use a demo bike would be a great way of growing brand loyalty?

It's a loooooong explanation. You'll hear stories of bikes getting "lost", shops not doing their bit, blah blah blah. Where are you guys based and what size bike does your fiance ride?

Or like cars, a demo is there for test drives, but basics. Don't really get dealers allowing people to use their cars for a trip to CT and back.

There are a couple of shops/brands with demo bikes to take around the block or on a basic rout nearby, Cycle Lab does so as well. Momsen and Specialized also have demo bikes as far I know.

The concern for a bike to go missing is fully understandable, they're basic machines compared to cars/motorbikes and a lot easier to steal and move or disassemble for spares.

Your proposal seems sound though, given your fiance's prominence in the sport. What about her sponsor, surely they have some connections?

I thought about that - and I suppose there is always an element of risk that someone does a runner with a bike, but properly controlled it should be minimal - we certainly never had anyone going of with one of our YZ's.... She rides a small Merida 96 currently. We are based in Pretoria - East side...

Fully agree, and if I was suggesting a demo for the Sani or Epic they would be perfectly understandable that they tell her to get knotted! The I-Flex races though are 30km each, not much more than some of the laps at Groenkloof. One of the most promising replies was from Momsen, but it was more for price assisance - which was a great guesture and we might still consider it....

So she doesn't have a bike sponsor, and isn't bound to that brand? is there no one in your racing network who has one of these that wouldn't mind getting a few podiums on for?

I assume that the person leading the series has a 29er, and your fiancee doesn't. I'm of the opinion that a small person on the 29er is the equivalent of mannie heymans on a 32 inch bike.

If the courses are so damn easy, why not use a cyclocross bike?

Yup - leading lady - 29er KTM....on the road they can bike together, off-road, 29er just has that bit extra. That's not a totally unrealistic suggestion using a cyclocross bike - we actually discussed it on the plane back from CT. I'm actually quite keen to get one, but I'm the plonker at the back of the group so I can affored to take a risk ;-)

Yup - leading lady - 29er KTM....on the road they can bike together, off-road, 29er just has that bit extra. That's not a totally unrealistic suggestion using a cyclocross bike - we actually discussed it on the plane back from CT. I'm actually quite keen to get one, but I'm the plonker at the back of the group so I can affored to take a risk ;-)

have you tried putting 29er stickers on her bike, that could help close the gap at a fraction of the cost

Haha - that's half the problem with the sponsor - they are talking 27.5er, but only next year....

Nah, but I polished the frame really well and fitted gladwrap to the wheels. That got us about 15 seconds.

have you tried putting 29er stickers on her bike, that could help close the gap at a fraction of the cost

That's very rude to mention the gap, Dude they're practically married....

Why don't you ask the sponsor for a 29er ?

Then she can just keep it for next year as she's going to have the same challenge.

Maybe the MTB distributors don't feel that it's worth it, maybe they've used up all their allocated budget.

Sometimes you have to invest $$$ even if you a pro.

It is one of my pet gripes as well. Not just bikes but a lot of other components such as saddles or stems or handlebars.

Bought a new bike at the LBS, saddle is uncomfortable as hell, they recommend a different Specialized XYZ saddle, "these really work for some guys". Fork out another R1400 for the aftermarket saddle. As uncomfortable as hell. Can't take it back after two rides.

Same with handlebars and these 29ers. The Giants came with flat bars, uncomfie (and so say heaps of folks on the web), LBS recommends new carbon bar with slight bend for R1400. But you can't test it. If it doesn't improve matters you stuck with it.

One can't just keep on forking out sets of R1400 until you find a set up that works.

Edited by Baracuda

Bought a new bike at the LBS, saddle is uncomfortable as hell, they recommend a different Specialized XYZ saddle, "these really work for some guys". Fork out another R1400 for the aftermarket saddle. As uncomfortable as hell. Can't take it back after two rides.

It's funny you mention Specialized - they're one of the few companies that does actually have demo saddles (at least in Joburg).