Buying voetstoots on thehubsa.

Cippo

I once sold a pair of brakes on the hub that were lying in my garage for years, after the buyer fitted them something was wrong with the levers. I told him to take them to his lbs and prove it - he did so i refunded him 60 % of the purchase value as i felt bad ( and he fixed it with both being happy in the end)

Long story short - give the seller a call ( not sms) and discuss it.

Edit: typo

Edited by Cavendish

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I hope you have the issue resolved.

I bought a power meter a while back. Very cheap but it was an old unit. Long story short, it didn't have the upload cable in the box. The dude looked for it at home, but couldn't find it. I sent it back and he reimbursed me what I paid for it including postage.

Under the CPA there is no more "Voetstoots".

That is correct if the CPA is applicable and it will only be if the purchaser bought an item from the seller in the ordinary course of the seller's business.

Thanks for all the advice hubbers. Will leave the ball in the sellers court for now.

Think my days of buying 2nd hand are over,unless you know the person & the history behind the item.Def not buying any frames or items with moving parts.Ill take a chance with stems,seatposts solid stuff like that,not too much can be wrong with it.Think alot of people sell 2nd hand stuff when it on its way out.

+1000000000.

Will only buy new in future, if I can't afford it, I would rather get the lesser model.

Edited by StevieL

Legal recourse is not an option as its not about the money and the amount is not worth it. I was prepared to just fix the component at my own cost but this is not possible either as it is useless. My posting here is just to get an opinion and not to name and shame as I am not prepared to do that.

Name him name him, Jerry Jerry Jerry!!!

+1000000000.

Will only buy new in future, if I can't afford it, I would rather get the lesser model.

When buying second hand you buying somebody else problems.

+1000000000. Will only buy new in future, if I can't afford it, I would rather get the lesser model.

WORD :thumbup:

Think my days of buying 2nd hand are over,unless you know the person & the history behind the item.Def not buying any frames or items with moving parts.Ill take a chance with stems,seatposts solid stuff like that,not too much can be wrong with it.Think alot of people sell 2nd hand stuff when it on its way out.

Recently bought 2 second hand road bikes for my sons. The one was truly dirty and needed a serious cleanup and a service to get rid of years of lube and garage dust. It cleaned up "like new". The other one was so perfect, I only had to adjust the saddle hight and it was perfect to go. In total, it would have cost me 4 times as much to buy the same bikes new. I reckon that if you know how to check things out, most pitfalls can be avoided. Personally, I'm very wary of carbon fibre, especially in mountain bikes. I'll be buying second hand again.

Recently bought 2 second hand road bikes for my sons. The one was truly dirty and needed a serious cleanup and a service to get rid of years of lube and garage dust. It cleaned up "like new". The other one was so perfect, I only had to adjust the saddle hight and it was perfect to go. In total, it would have cost me 4 times as much to buy the same bikes new. I reckon that if you know how to check things out, most pitfalls can be avoided. Personally, I'm very wary of carbon fibre, especially in mountain bikes. I'll be buying second hand again.

Until you find a hairline crack you never saw & that deals chainstays become the most expensive toilet roll holder.You'd need xray vision to see all a frames pitfalls.

Not dissing 2nd hand,i got sum **** to sell :whistling:

Edited by ............

I have sold literally hundreds of items over the years on the hub and Gumtree and am always willing to refund if there is a problem the buyer couldn't have been aware of (postage is for the buyers account though - I always sell openly and honestly so the problem is either an accident or they didn't ask the right questions). My only real refund I can remember giving someone was for MTB wheels which were a few years old and he decided they were more scratched than he had expected when they reached him in JHB! I had warned him they were well used, but he obviously didnt' look at the pictures closely enough. I refunded him and sold them a week later to a local buyer who was extremely happy with them.

In my opinion, you would be perfectly justified if making postage the buyers risk as it is their choice to buy from a distant seller (not the way I work, but wouldn't blame someone for working that way). If the part is genuinely faulty then there is absolutely no question that the seller must refund in full (only way you refund less is if you're covering repair costs in full and the buyer is happy with that). Whether that's the law or just plain, simple ethics I couldn't tell you, but no question in my mind.

I have been burned by someone selling me carbon wheels with a crack in them and then denying any liability for it, but I didn't have the time or money to take her on legally so she scored a brand new set of wheels of mine in exchange for 1.5kg's of almost worthless plastic!

I have also bought many many other items made of carbon, alu and every other cycling material with virtually no problems so definitely a supporter of the 2nd hand market!

Edited by Edge_Design

100% agree, keep your eyes open and your wits about you and buying secondhand is awesome. I honestly wouldn't be able to ride such a nice bike right now....

But I have been royally screwed over a good few before tho - unwittingly by nice guys and by mean a55holes that gleefully rub their hands as I walk out the door with their R5000 "bargain" worthless pile of junk. Its always some guy selling his totally kaput " Was R65,000 new" S-Works or "just the frame was R14,000" worn out piece of 5hit4 that is just hanging on by a thread and after virtually every moving part is replaced you have a skadonk with new parts everywhere that cost 3x more than you bargained for. Its the big "oh wow" eyes that screw everything up , now I know better - doesn't matter if it's XTR and it cost R5000 just for the crank - its now worn fokked and worthless!!!

;)

A wide eyed n00b buying 2hnd with no help from a knowledgeable friend is looking for trouble unless they apply common sense 100% unswervingly and even then the hard lessons may come!!

Edited by Skylark

Until you find a hairline crack you never saw & that deals chainstays become the most expensive toilet roll holder.You'd need xray vision to see all a frames pitfalls.

Not dissing 2nd hand,i got sum **** to sell :whistling:

Yip happened to me on a R12k bike , the moment of truth is nasty...

The guy who sold it to me was a good guy though and made a plan to have the rear triangle replaced. I would now literally look over any frame I buy with a magnifying glass becuase that's the only way you will find a hairline crack.

That's why buying carbon is soo dodgy , cracks are just much more common place and potentially hidden in the weave pattern.

Was some guy selling a carbon frame in the classifieds that had been written off by the insurers after an accident - say what!!!!

Now buying that is asking for trouble...

Edited by Skylark