Too much cardio can damage your heart!

Interesting read from Mercola: http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/06/01/long-cardio-workout-dangers.aspx?e_cid=20120601_DNL_art_1

Here's the core of it:

One of the best examples of the risks of over-exercising can be gleaned from marathon runners. Running a marathon is often seen as the epitome of fitness and the ultimate show of endurance. But it puts an extraordinary stress on your heart.

According to a study presented at the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress 2010 in Montreal, regular exercise reduces cardiovascular risk by a factor of two or three. But the extended vigorous exercise performed during a marathon raises cardiac risk by seven-fold! Long-distance running also leads to high levels of inflammation that may trigger cardiac events and damage your heart long after the marathon is over.

In a study published in the Journal of Applied Physiology, researchers recruited a group of extremely fit older men. All of them were members of the 100 Marathon club, meaning athletes who had completed a minimum of 100 marathons. If running marathons provided cardiovascular benefit this would certainly be the group you would want to seriously examine. So what did they find?

Half of the older lifelong athletes showed some heart muscle scarring as a result, and they were specifically the men who had trained the longest and hardest.

Research has also revealed heart scarring after elite cardio training. Published in the journal Circulation, an animal study was designed to mimic the strenuous daily exercise load of serious marathoners over the course of 10 years. All the rats had normal, healthy hearts at the outset of the study, but by the end most of them had developed "diffuse scarring and some structural changes, similar to the changes seen in the human endurance athletes."

Yet another study showed that long-term endurance athletes suffer from diminished function of the right ventricle of the heart after endurance racing. They also had increased blood levels of cardiac enzymes, which are markers for heart injury, and 12 percent of the athletes had detectable scar tissue on their heart muscle one week post-race. So it is more than likely that if you over-exercise you will do your body great harm.

Ideally, to get the most benefits you need to push your body hard enough for a challenge while allowing adequate time for recovery and repair to take place. It turns out that one of the best ways to do this is to follow a fitness regimen that

mimics the movements of our hunter-gatherer ancestors, which included short bursts of high-intensity activities -- but not long-distance running such as is required to complete a marathon or even an hour on the treadmill.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yip, read similar literature.

One view was that an average of 12 minutes per week of exercise (high HR) is sufficient to maintain health (with a good diet and healthy lifestyle).

One view was that an average of 12 minutes per week of exercise (high HR) is sufficient to maintain health (with a good diet and healthy lifestyle).

And it's that same view that has so many obese and morbidly overweight "diabetics" roaming this planet.

And it's that same view that has so many obese and morbidly overweight "diabetics" roaming this planet.

haha +1

It is understandable and thats why I ride a bike and don't run silly marathons

It is understandable and thats why I ride a bike and don't run silly marathons

That and the fact that you can free wheel on the downhills :thumbup:

Hey!! Watch it. Some diabetics can't help it that their pancreas don't function at all. Read: Type 1. :cursing:

Even though the article might very well be true and accurate...

There is no better feeling than completing a long run, that feeling you get when your legs just don't want to stop running is just awesome.

If some people can smoke and drink themselves into the grave, I can run into mine.

Edited by 4M41_Jero

I love these rat studies... One day when I come back as a rat I'll worry about them.

Or, when I've run my 100th marathon.

If some people can smoke and drink themselves into the grave, I can run into mine.

With you on that!!

Saying it now, do it now, buy it now. We all gotta die sometime

Edited by Prince

Hey!! Watch it. Some diabetics can't help it that their pancreas don't function at all. Read: Type 1. :cursing:

Sorry buddy, didn't mean to offend anyone, that's why I put "diabetics" in inverted "coma's"

Sorry buddy, didn't mean to offend anyone, that's why I put "diabetics" in inverted "coma's"

No offence taken. Real diabetics are teflon-coated anyhow. Like most Hubbers ...

No offence taken. Real diabetics are teflon-coated anyhow. Like most Hubbers ...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

So true, but while we are on that topic, I get so de- moer in when a person who has a vacuum for a mouth and a toilet worthy of competing with an F650 blames it all on diabetes.

I put "diabetics" in inverted "coma's"

I think the medical profession may be interested.

Just wonder how your body will distinguish 12mins of exercise from 'normal' activity?