Down hill confidence.

flossy

You need to stay completely relaxed. It's the most important, the moment you tense up, you're going to go down. The more relaxed you are, the more you're able to move with the terrain. If you tense up, you will grab the brake, you will probably be going straight and straight is normally towards the edge of the trail meaning you'll be having an unplanned dismount...

The best advice in addition to TheV's so far.

Edited by MH for short

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry yes cleats is the correct term but clips is often used.

Flat pedals downhill riders use have pins that stick into those special shoes (?)

http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/data/534/point_pedal_small.jpg

Other (normal) flat pedals don't, like these combo SPD (which I have on my commuter mtb)

http://www.spdshoes.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Shimano_PD-M324_clipless_platform_pedals.jpg

SPD is the Shimano system, there are a few others Crank Bros

http://www.roadcycler.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/crank-brothers-eggbeater-pedal.jpg

Often you have to bunnyhop over an obstacle, much easier with cleats.

btw, did you watch the Downhill world cup yesterday? One of the top dawgs almost had a wipeout when his shoe slipped of the pedal. Seems 'the old guard' look down on cleats (and tubeless tyres)

Sorry yes cleats is the correct term but clips is often used.

Flat pedals downhill riders use have pins that stick into those special shoes (?)

http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/data/534/point_pedal_small.jpg

Other (normal) flat pedals don't, like these combo SPD (which I have on my commuter mtb)

http://www.spdshoes.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Shimano_PD-M324_clipless_platform_pedals.jpg

SPD is the Shimano system, there are a few others Crank Bros

http://www.roadcycler.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/crank-brothers-eggbeater-pedal.jpg

Often you have to bunnyhop over an obstacle, much easier with cleats.

btw, did you watch the Downhill world cup yesterday? One of the top dawgs almost had a wipeout when his shoe slipped of the pedal. Seems 'the old guard' look down on cleats (and tubeless tyres)

Grubscrews just GRIP,there is no sticking ,its force through your legs and knees distributed into the pedal through your toes.Everyone will stand a little different.No tricks or gimmicks

One of the top dawgs almost had a wipeout when his shoe slipped of the pedal. Seems 'the old guard' look down on cleats (and tubeless tyres

VAl di sol just a ruff ass track prob knock you out your cleats too.THink most guys ride flats when not competing,cleats will make your time maybe just that bit faster when you need to win or pedalling 50+ks

To be honest, I love riding with cleats..I feel that I have way more control..never wiped out and end up still being cleated in..I always manage to un cleat..

Having said that I do recreational MTB'ing with the odd race for fun..I haven't done DH,AM or DJtrack..so for those dissiplines I'm sure there is an argument to be made for flats over clipless..for people that are new to the sport..stick to flats for now..and later think about clipless..

Some great advice here: I think we can all learn. From off road bike riding I can only support the practice concept, but with understanding (no comment on GF's etc). Try a little downhill with weight on the front wheel and feel the improvement when you move weight back making the front less twitchy and the bike more stable. Understand that you have to weight the front to some extent to go round corners. Maybe lower the saddle to build confidence on downhills. Looking where you want to go, round the corner and avoiding target fixation (that big rock or tree just calling you). Try keep weight on the outside of the bike in corners and on the downhill side on side slopes. If the pedals are not central, the low pedal can go on the weighted side (good way of missing those sticky out stumps and rocks). Try stay loose and always look for a soft spot to crash.

cleats should not be necessary to keep you on your pedals.If your centre of gravity is right and your knees bent with yours saddle a little lower,this should keep you connected to your pedals,your legs must act as shock absorbers as well.I also was told ride clippless all the time and this did not work with me.Eventually I went against what I was told and rode downhill cleated out and learnt where my weight needs to be,jumping is not an issue,either.Confidence for downhill is to ride track you are familar with to practice,hope this helps.

A really basic skill to learn anywhere when you are on your bike is to "track stand" in both a seated and standing position.

As simple a skill this is to learn it teaches you how to distribute your weight on the bike and you will also develop a good feel for your bike and how she reacts to your body language.

It also helps when on slow tech sections, in that you are able to slow down or stop while negotiating a tricky section (climbing) or have to slow down for another rider in front of you..

Also ... the more you ride off road the better and more confident you will get.

Hi Flossy,

Hope you're feeling more confident on the bike by now! Some good advice on this forum. If you are wanting to get more confident I host skills clinics through iRide Africa-more info here. We hold them on different trails most weekends so if you sign up you can get more confidant, meet new people to ride with in the future and ride different trails.

Ha ha my bum is to sore to get on it today! will have to wait for the wknd. Thanks will do!

A dude in spandex have never come to mind, damn man...why you have to ruin it?? Back to the lady trying to go down the hill safely...

I think the gents that have successfully converted a lady to take up mtb'ing..have street cred (I'm yet to convert my better half...but I have a plan atleast..) Mayhem, crow, mojo, covie, V and co..good advice..

And flossy, aan houer wen...you will get there as long as you keep at it...the fact that you raised the question shows you are willing to learn, rather than just keep walking...and evidently stop riding. Thumbs up!

Thanks I will try keep going lol. I just need to find people with patience to ride with or get the guts to go alone. I guess the on;y way to get better is to ride. I went to the bike shop now to get bike a bit sorted after my fall and he says that tokai is a bit hectic for a first cycle and the koeberg is a good idea. Soo koeberg it will be this wknd

Some great advice here: I think we can all learn. From off road bike riding I can only support the practice concept, but with understanding (no comment on GF's etc). Try a little downhill with weight on the front wheel and feel the improvement when you move weight back making the front less twitchy and the bike more stable. Understand that you have to weight the front to some extent to go round corners. Maybe lower the saddle to build confidence on downhills. Looking where you want to go, round the corner and avoiding target fixation (that big rock or tree just calling you). Try keep weight on the outside of the bike in corners and on the downhill side on side slopes. If the pedals are not central, the low pedal can go on the weighted side (good way of missing those sticky out stumps and rocks). Try stay loose and always look for a soft spot to crash.

Ha ha I aimed for a bush and flattened it to land on a rock!

Thanks I will try keep going lol. I just need to find people with patience to ride with or get the guts to go alone. I guess the on;y way to get better is to ride. I went to the bike shop now to get bike a bit sorted after my fall and he says that tokai is a bit hectic for a first cycle and the koeberg is a good idea. Soo koeberg it will be this wknd

So Flossy ... how fit/fast are you?

If your fitness is there, feel free to join us on a Table Mountain Morning Ride

http://www.thehubsa....96#entry1674371

Edited by Hairy

Lol thanks for the offer but this was literally the first time on a mnt bike so think I will have to get back to you on that one. I thought being fit was being fit lol but apparently running fitness, swimming fitness and riding fitness are all very different!

Lol thanks for the offer but this was literally the first time on a mnt bike so think I will have to get back to you on that one. I thought being fit was being fit lol but apparently running fitness, swimming fitness and riding fitness are all very different!

A silly thing, but even Roadie fitness and MTB fitness are two different animals.

Dont stress too much everyone has a bad day on the bike sometimes where things doesnt want to work out well. This is very normal, some days you just have more fun on the bike than on other days.

My advice would be to first go ride a trail that you know quite well and enjoy riding. You will feel much more relaxed and then you can go and try the more difficult track again. You will start with a lot more confidence and be able to focus much more on your riding.

You can ride with some friends that are on the same skill level as you are for this but try to do at least one ride every now and then with people that are more skilled. Riding with skilled people can be stressful for beginners but is the best way to eventually progress. Look for what they are doing and ask lots of questions, most people would be very happy to help out.

The good news, beginners can progress much faster than skilled riders, so before long you will become much faster and start keeping up with them!

Thanks ya going to try find some other riders to help me out!