2012 94.7

Agteros

Serious Question:

And I want a sound, scientific answer please.

Why do the guys on the road bikes suffer up the hills, and us on the MTB's kill them?

We passed 100's of road bikes up the hills, felt like we were on EPO.

What's the explanation for this?

It's all about your capability / fitness vs theirs.

And lower gearing capacity of the MTB also plays a part on a steeeeeep hill.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What we notice is that we aren't even in granny gears, and still out pedal on the uphill.

I saw a whole bunch falling behind that stay with us on the flats,and descents, but on any sort of uphill they drop 50-100m behind.

I was thinking it might the weight advantage? Carrying a bit more momentum into the uphill as well?

The last 20km I was riding with a young guy on a MTB, left him far behind on all the downhill sections but halfway up the next hill he would be sitting on my tail again

It's only my second time on a road bike (and the bike was one day old lol) so I'm no expert, but I really think it's just a matter of strength, not gears: I was putting in the same effort I would on a mountain bike and was cruising past the "roadies".

And I'm not the greatest MTB rider either, I did the 70km Hakahana race in 4:15 as an example.

Serious Question:

Why do the guys on the road bikes suffer up the hills, and us on the MTB's kill them?

You are fitter.

I was thinking it might the weight advantage? Carrying a bit more momentum into the uphill as well?

The last 20km I was riding with a young guy on a MTB, left him far behind on all the downhill sections but halfway up the next hill he would be sitting on my tail again

I'm not a small light guy - you know it.

Bike is 2x heavier than road bike.

Still not convinced its me + the 29er..

What we notice is that we aren't even in granny gears, and still out pedal on the uphill.

I saw a whole bunch falling behind that stay with us on the flats,and descents, but on any sort of uphill they drop 50-100m behind.

Its simple,the weaker riders will pass you on the flats and downhills and you will then catch up again on the hills where they have no drafting effect.Or if they ride with you in a bunch it only mean that they use less energy to stay with you on the flats and downhills because of drafting but on the hills they have to do the work on their own.that and less resistance for them on the flats make them look strong on the easy sections.

Ride with bunches that are a lot stronger than you and you will start to struggle on the hills.

VC belongs to Johan Lab....could also call him the beast!Broke away almost right from the start and stayed away on his own to the Finish and in the process beating most of the VA and VB times.Could not be more happy for him.....a great ride by a great guy!!

Thanks for pointing out my boo-boo. That's what happens when people share names blush.png

:D

Serious Question:

There are a few reasons for this (IMO):

I'm guessing you started with a lower seeding as you were on a MTB. Most guys/girls on road bikes you rode with probably aren't the fittest/strongest bunch in the world. As a road bike has a lower gear ratio than an MTB, their cadence would be lower and they would automatically be slower up the hills.

Had you been seeded in A/B/C groups, you would probably not have had the same experience. Most roadies in that class have the power and endurance to keep a high cadence up the hills, and you probably would have been left behind.

So, in essence, one word: gears.

Its simple,the weaker riders will pass you on the flats and downhills and you will then catch up again on the hills where they have no drafting effect.Or if they ride with you in a bunch it only mean that they use less energy to stay with you on the flats and downhills because of drafting but on the hills they have to do the work on their own.that and less resistance for them on the flats make them look strong on the easy sections.

Ride with bunches that are a lot stronger than you and you will start to struggle on the hills.

Okay so Roadies are lazy whistling.gif

There are a few reasons for this (IMO):

I'm guessing you started with a lower seeding as you were on a MTB. Most guys/girls on road bikes you rode with probably aren't the fittest/strongest bunch in the world. As a road bike has a lower gear ratio than an MTB, their cadence would be lower and they would automatically be slower up the hills.

Had you been seeded in A/B/C groups, you would probably not have had the same experience. Most roadies in that class have the power and endurance to keep a high cadence up the hills, and you probably would have been left behind.

So, in essence, one word: gears.

makes sense - but - I started in Z with the Charity groups.

why I tend to agree with you and Hayley on the gears: I noticed I was doing a MUCH lower lower cadence than them.

Raised another question, would they ride easier up those hills on a bigger gear then as well, or is this where fitness comes in?

Just to make it clear - I am not a strong/fast.fit rider, I'm pushing it if I say I am average.

Didn't see you. How was your ride?

Lost any idea of time/ave speed when my garmin packed up.

Not an excuse though, i see from results your time was better than mine.

Okay so Roadies are lazy whistling.gif

Hehe,no not really he is just stronger than the guys in the area where he rode....and that you see on the hills.He will just struggle to ride away from them because of the downhills and flat sections and the big bunches.

I was on road bike and continually passing other riders uphill, on road & mtb's alike. I did see a lot of mtb bkes, even some Pick'n'Pay specials. So that also suggests rider fitness is a factor.

Had a few mtb's and other bikes pass me, but they were obviously on another level. Difference with mtb passing is that you can hear it coming if they have off-road tyres on.

That is until those rather massive undulations on the N17, when the lactic acid started making its presence felt.

Edited by kosmonooit