2012 94.7

Agteros

i think the start group is more important...coming from the back you encounter many traffic jams...slows you down plenty as i found out yesterday starting in PP

+1 they will pull you along if you can hang on, and no back markers to slow you down!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 they will pull you along if you can hang on, and no back markers to slow you down!

Wheel suckers, the lot of you.ph34r.pngwink.png

Just did my first 94.7 and I'm hooked!! Looking into the Argus now to ride for a charity so was just wondering how the 94.7 compares to the Argus??

The Argus is very different. I enjoy the route more and much more spectators, although the 94.7 is gaining more public participation each year, with more people making a day of it.

I think because the entire Cape is shut down for the day everyone comes out and enjoys the day with the riders.

I think MTB races typically require you to do many hours of suffering in the saddle while road races are (for semi decent amateurs) usually only 2:30 - 3:15 of bunch riding.

At the end of a road race, many roadies are at the end of their capacity whilst dirt riders are just getting into their stride.

No idea what you are talking about ph34r.png ph34r.png

Argus is easier, providing the Cape Doctor stays away. Also more scenic although the views out to the Magalies and back to the city were stunning yesterday.

Also more CT peeps on the side of the road. Joburg lagging in that aspect.

I often find myself sitting on a hill looking over Jo'Burg on a clear day taking pics, there is just something special about that view.

The scientific answer is beer.

Roadies drink wine and mountain bikers drink beer.

Does that mean I'm an undercover mountain biker?! whistling.gif

Absolutely brother, I am a beer drinker but ride an occasional road bike .

The scientific answer is beer.

Roadies drink wine and mountain bikers drink beer.

I drink neither. Does that make me a runner?

Cool pic, Capcha.

That cow is definitely not UCI compliant.

Edited by Puncheur

They combined all the entrants for the 94.7km, 40km and Mtb races.

Nope - 27,000 entered the road race alone. When you add in the MTB, the 40km and kiddies the figure is 40,000.

I think the lower entries are because of a combination of non-starters (I know of 2 personally), non-finishers (besides those who have trouble on the day - many people just bail close to home for convenience or whatever - for eg I have a work mate who couIdn't resist turning into Kyalami Estate on the home stretch... ), and then there are plenty people riding for fun with no chips... I see Argus are requiring people to bring their chips to registration form this year... (maybe racetech are giving them a comm per chip sold...whistling.gif )

It doesn't seem like CSA cared much for the licensed bunches besides Elite men and ladies. No commissaires, no line judges, no frame numbers even for some of the bunches. Turning into a pure fun ride. How can you not have at least some policing in bunches that receive prize money?

Sounds like CSA would've loved to be more involved but the organisers took it upon themselves not to issue the license groups a lead vehicle.

From one horse's mouth on the line, that if CSA were in charge of that they could've policed the riders and seconds but by the sound of it seems they are just as frustrated.

Edited by Fester