2012 94.7

Agteros

To get the sticker to stick properly it needed to be applied the night before.

With superglue :-)

The non shtick variety are probably best and reusable!

It was my first 93.33 and in the end I enjoyed it a lot!

Next time though I think I will stay with C batch #2 instead of trying to jump to the next batch. Got caught on the mighty long N14. There is also more climbing than some locals suggested and there is no air in JHB. Especially coming from KZN.

A hard worked 2h49 for me.

Big ++ cruising the highways on the bike checking out the big city. The friendly and many water stations and marshals are also to be commended.

Back again next year.

A Q: If my bike weighs 10.4kgs will a 7.2kg bike make any noticeable difference, or should I lose 3kgs instead?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With superglue :-)

The non shtick variety are probably best and reusable!

It was my first 93.33 and in the end I enjoyed it a lot!

Next time though I think I will stay with C batch #2 instead of trying to jump to the next batch. Got caught on the mighty long N14. There is also more climbing than some locals suggested and there is no air in JHB. Especially coming from KZN.

A hard worked 2h49 for me.

Big ++ cruising the highways on the bike checking out the big city. The friendly and many water stations and marshals are also to be commended.

Back again next year.

A Q: If my bike weighs 10.4kgs will a 7.2kg bike make any noticeable difference, or should I lose 3kgs instead?

I stuck mine on the night before. It stayed stuck throughout a 160kms. I did not stick in over the pockets as they stretch with a few items in them. I stuck the number to the shirt's back above the pockets. Pre stretched the shirt material a little bit before sticking the number on,

Edited by robox

Same thing, although much, much cheaper to lose the 3kg thumbup1.gif

Slap two bags of 10kg dog food to your back and do the route again - whatever the difference is subtract that from this years time with an added 5% variance for the reduced body weight.

That is my formula and I'm sticking with it!

I think I'm going to go with that 2:30 time calculation, rather

When I was in peak racing condition (2008/9) I was 75Kg, on Sunday I was 88.9Kg (measured in the morning) = 13.9Kg heavier.

My road bike weighed 7.2Kg, which effectively meant I was carrying one on each shoulder (minus one full bottle, yes I ride with 500ml bottles).

Perhaps that's why I sucked on EVERY climb --> I'm build like a spirit level - the bubble is in the middle.

Back to the gym to do some leg strength exercises, and some spinning classes, and perhaps a few more visits to the reserve (SBR).

Edited by geraldm24

Q: If my bike weighs 10.4kgs will a 7.2kg bike make any noticeable difference, or should I lose 3kgs instead?

It's much cheaper to lose it from your body (if you've got 3kg to lose). On the other hand, going from a 10kg to a 7kg bike you may get other improvements such as better wheel hubs and bearings or better tyres. These will also increase your speed on flats and downhills.

It's much cheaper to lose it from your body (if you've got 3kg to lose). On the other hand, going from a 10kg to a 7kg bike you may get other improvements such as better wheel hubs and bearings or better tyres. These will also increase your speed on flats and downhills.

This....everytime

We can calculate and speculate all we want, lose the weight, all good.

Getting the legs to last at high threshold and having the ability to have a low lactic build-up with the wight loss will yield that 2:30.

We can calculate and speculate all we want, lose the weight, all good.

Getting the legs to last at high threshold and having the ability to have a low lactic build-up with the wight loss will yield that 2:30.

Exzakery , only one way to get that ,TRAIN get your body use to it , if you cant do this a 5 kg bike is not going to help .

In essence it was my first 94.7 as I did do it in 2009 after I'd just bought an entry level MTB and did like a 5 hour time having no training. So this year I decided to get a cheapie road bike as I'm more of a MTB'er, and was seeded in CC but had a contact who got me a tad earlier up to S.

I must say having never been on a rode bike (well the 5km I rode the day before after buying the bike) it was a huge adjustment. I learnt so many roadie tips within the first 10km:

*Make sure you get a good seeding next year so you don't end up TT'ing the entire race

*When you witness a fall on the road at 60km/h, understand that Roadies are not sissies as you thought before....lol

Having said that, I was surprised to see how roadies struggle with the most simple of climbs. I honestly believe to be the best you can be in either format (road or mtb) you should integrate as often as you can.

It was a great learning experience to do a road race, as for my own preference I find MTB much more challenging and fun...but that's just me. Will be back next year for my once a year Road Race!

In essence it was my first 94.7 as I did do it in 2009 after I'd just bought an entry level MTB and did like a 5 hour time having no training. So this year I decided to get a cheapie road bike as I'm more of a MTB'er, and was seeded in CC but had a contact who got me a tad earlier up to S.

I must say having never been on a rode bike (well the 5km I rode the day before after buying the bike) it was a huge adjustment. I learnt so many roadie tips within the first 10km:

*Make sure you get a good seeding next year so you don't end up TT'ing the entire race

*When you witness a fall on the road at 60km/h, understand that Roadies are not sissies as you thought before....lol

Having said that, I was surprised to see how roadies struggle with the most simple of climbs. I honestly believe to be the best you can be in either format (road or mtb) you should integrate as often as you can.

It was a great learning experience to do a road race, as for my own preference I find MTB much more challenging and fun...but that's just me. Will be back next year for my once a year Road Race!

You need to understand the 'Roadie Way'. They all hide behind the guy who actually did the training and is pulling the group along. This means that on the flats and downhills they might even need to pedal now and then.

When the hills come, then they are exposed - hence the struggling.

This is what causes the hysteria over seeding. They have to be in a batch high enough to pull them to their target time because they can't get there under their own power.

There are enough guys who do good times from later batches to show that it can be done by pedalling yourself, obviously easier if there are guys to ride with you.

This isn't completely valid for the faster groups - they need proper drafting etc to make the times the rest of us dream about, but they most likely have bothered to train and (I imagine) they even assist each other.

The guy who claims a 3hr or whatever race without once having put his head in the wind... ai ai ai.

Very very true. Cross training is so undervalued it's not funny. MTB gives you the low down grunt road riding doesn't really need, therefore you'll never develop fully. Road riding works with much higher gears and speeds, which is something you'll never develop (riding at speed) properly on a Mountain bike. Training both will allow you to develop a much wider range of cycling skills. Think of having the pull of a Mack truck with the top end speed of an Enzo ... you'll be unstoppable.

I rode a sum total of 4 times this year prior to the 94.7, the furthest being the 55k MTB race the weekend before, and while I didn't shatter any record books, I completed both events with consummate ease at an average HR of 142 (I believe I hit a max HR of 164).

I believe I was able to cruise like this purely because of the running I've done this year. I've done nearly 1200kms this year and am a comfortable half marathon runner now. The increase in cardio capacity that running has given me appears to be the 3rd factor required for the perfect allroad cyclist / running, with MTB providing the strength and road providing the speed.

So, mix it up folks, you'll have more fun, and you'll be stronger/fitter/healthier for it.

Very very true. Cross training is so undervalued it's not funny. MTB gives you the low down grunt road riding doesn't really need, therefore you'll never develop fully. Road riding works with much higher gears and speeds, which is something you'll never develop (riding at speed) properly on a Mountain bike. Training both will allow you to develop a much wider range of cycling skills. Think of having the pull of a Mack truck with the top end speed of an Enzo ... you'll be unstoppable.

I rode a sum total of 4 times this year prior to the 94.7, the furthest being the 55k MTB race the weekend before, and while I didn't shatter any record books, I completed both events with consummate ease at an average HR of 142 (I believe I hit a max HR of 164).

I believe I was able to cruise like this purely because of the running I've done this year. I've done nearly 1200kms this year and am a comfortable half marathon runner now. The increase in cardio capacity that running has given me appears to be the 3rd factor required for the perfect allroad cyclist / running, with MTB providing the strength and road providing the speed.

So, mix it up folks, you'll have more fun, and you'll be stronger/fitter/healthier for it.

Hey, we don't like this kind of balanced viewpoint around here... huh.png

Couldn't agree more!

I'm a mountain biker, and incorporated boxing into my workout routine, 3 times a week to build up core strength (my lower back used to get sore). I was really surprised how much difference this made to my overall fitness level and endurance capabilities.

I think you guys are seeing roadies at the wrong end of the race. I'm a MTB'r and I battle to hang onto the strong roadies even on the flat.