Preferred bike Lady - ABSA Cape Epic

Nicola13

Hi All

Ok i have read most topics on the Epic but am still really unsure as to what bike i should ride for the Epic next year.

It will be my first Epic and based on the following details, please give some thoughts as to which bike you would suggest and why.

I am 1.75m tall, weigh just over 50kg and currently ride a hard tail which i must add, i love it! did the Sani2C this year and the bum was the least of my problems...

Then i have spoken to a couple of guys, read a lot of articles and it looks like the most say soft tail bikes, irrespective of 26' or 29'.

Now i went and looked: Esther Suss, Sally Bigham, Karien van Jaarsveld and Ariane Kleinhans all rode hard tails at the Epic. Looking at the picture... well looks like it was good option.

Is this maybe because the ladies are lighter than the men? Because looks like most of the top men all had soft tails...

I need to buy a new bike before then, and it will have to last me a couple of years. Budget about R20-R25k

Please give your thoughts....

post-32030-0-10389500-1339413564.jpg

I found the dual suss to be nice and forgiving over the rocks and bumps and a lot kinder to my lower back. Especially at the end of an 8 hour day...

Edit... 26".

Edited by Ryan

Hi, what tipe of bike do you have, frame, components and age?

Why not use it? Since you enjoy it and you dont seem to complain about pain that would occure from riding a HT.

In my opinion, if you have a bike why not do some upgrades? a Bike at 20k you wount get a new highend bike. But with 20k you might fit a good shock and nice set of wheels which make a worlds diffrence.

Edited by Andro

To the best of my knowledge Ariane and her partner Eric rode Giant Anthem 26er dual suspension on the Epic. Their normal race bikes are hardtail XTC 29ers.

Of all the pro teams I think the majority of the top 10 were on dual sus and most on dual sus 29ers. I know from chatting to one of the top 10 SA teams that the only reason they didn't ride 29er dual suspensions was because their bike supplier's 29er dual sus wasn't good enough. But given the choice they firmly believe 29er dual sus is the best bike for Epic. I race a 29er hardtail but will definitely ride a dual sus for Epic next year.

Edited by sometime

Then again the winners chose FS - guess it down to personal choice based on experience..Also remember the Elite /Pros are looking at saving every gram don't care too much for comfort.

Limited travel XC bike like the Scalpel is a good option imho, bit out your price range but could get one 2nd hand.

Try a few Ultras on the mountains here and see how it goes ... ?

I am 1.75m tall, weigh just over 50kg

this pro rider should have good advice, andy.shleck@radioshackracing.com

seriously, I would take answers on a forum with a pinch of salt and NOT necessarily what the pros are going for. Could be conflicting advice!

Hi, what tipe of bike do you have, frame, components and age? Why not use it? Since you enjoy it and you dont seem to complain about pain that would occure from riding a HT. In my opinion, if you have a bike why not do some upgrades? a Bike at 20k you wount get a new highend bike. But with 20k you might fit a good shock and nice set of wheels which make a worlds diffrence.

My bike is too old and rather entry level. I love the fork its got on though, but i did add that afterwards. If the frame wasn't so heavy, i would have considered doing that. The geometry and everything just works really superbly for me at the moment.

this pro rider should have good advice, andy.shleck@radioshackracing.com seriously, I would take answers on a forum with a pinch of salt and NOT necessarily what the pros are going for. Could be conflicting advice!

haha very funny... Does Andy Shleck even know what a MTB is?

My bike is too old and rather entry level. I love the fork its got on though, but i did add that afterwards. If the frame wasn't so heavy, i would have considered doing that. The geometry and everything just works really superbly for me at the moment.

Consider a lighter variation of what you currently have, plus you'll in all likelihood will have some change left over.

Also weigh up the pros of less to go wrong with the bike and less maintenance.

this pro rider should have good advice, andy.shleck@radioshackracing.com

seriously, I would take answers on a forum with a pinch of salt and NOT necessarily what the pros are going for. Could be conflicting advice!

haha very funny... Does Andy Shleck even know what a MTB is?

I agree with Dictator, More like a truck load of salt...

I race a 29er hardtail but will definitely ride a dual sus for Epic next year.

Race or ride ?

@the OP, where do you plan on placing ?

Race or ride ?

@the OP, where do you plan on placing ?

I've no idea why this is of any relevance but either way how you would classify me:

This year I've raced in 9 or 10 races (all 60+km) including two 3 day stage races with a top 75 finish in Sani2c race. Does that make me a rider or a racer?

Back on topic I recall an interview with Esther Suss after one particularly tough stage where she said she now understood why the majority of riders where on 29er dual suspension bikes.

Having said all this I would suggest waiting to see where the route is going next year. There's all sorts of speculation around that, that may or may not influence your decision.

Edited by sometime

To the best of my knowledge Ariane and her partner Eric rode Giant Anthem 29er dual suspension on the Epic. Their normal race bikes are hardtail XTC 29ers.

Of all the pro teams I think the majority of the top 10 were on dual sus and most on dual sus 29ers. I know from chatting to one of the top 10 SA teams that the only reason they didn't ride 29er dual suspensions was because their bike supplier's 29er dual sus wasn't good enough. But given the choice they firmly believe 29er dual sus is the best bike for Epic. I race a 29er hardtail but will definitely ride a dual sus for Epic next year.

Fixed :)

560871_10150650552253963_761839384_n.jpg

To the best of my knowledge Ariane and her partner Eric rode Giant Anthem 26er dual suspension on the Epic. Their normal race bikes are hardtail XTC 29ers.

Nope during this years Epic Ariane and Erik were on Giant Anthems X0 29ers, 2011 frames to be exact. Mavic Crossmax 29er wheels, Rock Shox Sid ... etc.

post-4352-0-74527800-1339432546.jpg

Nope during this years Epic Ariane and Erik were on Giant Anthems X0 29ers, 2011 frames to be exact. Mavic Crossmax 29er wheels, Rock Shox Sid ... etc.

Sorry Tank,but for once I beat you :ph34r:

Bought my wife the Giant Anthem X0 29er a few weeks back and the improvement has left me eating dirt!! :blink: Placebo effect? :whistling: Either way, she's just completed sani2C and is 1.69 m and 55 kg if that helps the OP at all.

Edited by flymango