Lance Armstrong Banned and Stripped of TDF Titles

101SCC

“I couldn’t give a damn,” said Bernard Hinault, himself a five-time Tour de France champion.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once the procedure this announcement sets in motion has run its full course, here’s what the Tour de France results will look like:

1999: 1. Alex Zulle 2. Fernando Escartin 3. Laurent Dufaux

2000: 1. Jan Ullrich 2. Joseba Beloki 3. Christophe Moreau

2001: 1. Jan Ullrich 2. Joseba Beloki 3. Andrei Kivilev

2002: 1. Joseba Beloki 2. Raimondas Rumsas 3. Santiago Botero

2003: 1. Jan Ullrich 2. Alexandre Vinokourov 3. Tyler Hamilton

2004: 1. Andreas Klöden 2. Ivan Basso 3. Jan Ullrich

2005: 1. Ivan Basso 2. Jan Ullrich Francisco Mancebo 3. Alexandre Vinokourov

Once the procedure this announcement sets in motion has run its full course, here’s what the Tour de France results will look like:

And if I recall correctly it is only Beloki and Kloden that have not been banned at some stage in their careers. What a mess!

Not sure about Rumsas, my memory is poor right now and without looking at the history I was under the impression he was also banned.

Part of an interview between USADA and VeloNews. Quite telling. Think he slipped up here (USADA)

VN: There was reportedly a lot of evidence in the case, there was witness testimony and presumably more…do you expect any of those details to emerge?

TT: Yes, absolutely…at the right time. Obviously there are other cases that are alleged to be involved in the conspiracy. Their cases are still proceeding, so it will be in due course. 

VN: So there is no impediment to USADA releasing the evidence?

TT: No, no. 

Rumsas had finished third just days before his wife got done at a border point. The dope, apparently, was for his asthmatic mom-in-law...

Rumsas had finished third just days before his wife got done at a border point. The dope, apparently, was for his asthmatic mom-in-law...

Ah Yeah, I remember now.

He was caught later though wasn't he?,.... doping I mean.

How so, Cpt?

Sorry... Context. Since LA has now stopped contesting, UASDA & WADA need to submit a report to UCI in order to motivate the stripping of titles and banning of LA, including a rationalization of the charges as well as all evidence pertaining to the trial...

Edit: seeing as there are still ongoing trials, it seems as if the stripping and/or banning cannot go forward ito UCI sanctioned events.

Edited by cptmayhem

If Lance doped and didn't test + , then everybody else could also be on something. He still kicked their asses

And if I recall correctly it is only Beloki and Kloden that have not been banned at some stage in their careers. What a mess!

Mess indeed...

:-(

Interesting comment, and one which is relevant to this.

The Truth and Reconciliation committee (love it or hate it) had a simple approach.

In exchange for telling the full truth, no matter how heinous, you would not be tried for the crimes you committed. It allowed for murderers on both sides to escape punishment but at least some light was shone on dirty deeds.

Jonathan Vaughters has supported the idea of a TRC for cycling and maybe it is a way for the book to be closed on the last few years where doping sophistication really made a difference to performance.

Yip, unfortunately it seems that cycling will for the time being be tarnished as being rotten to the core. So wipe the slate clean and let's start afresh, I say. Can you imagine - a whole lot of PDC's? Not park distance control but previously disadvantaged cyclists. A very sad day for cycling indeed. Reminds of how I felt when the Hansie-gate saga exploded. And I forgave him in my own mind and still believe he was our greatest cricket captain and a role model and idol for many.

Dont understand. Get caught while you are a pro rider, get a two year ban. Get people saying that you doped, get a lifetime ban and stripped of 7 titles and the people that are now the winners have all been caught at some stage of their careers. This is a disgrace, even if lance was positive.

Rather focus on going forward than to dig up the past and tarnish a person that has done more for the sport and other great causes than all of the guys that placed second in the 7 years combined.

Edited by Chain-L