AM tyres... what you running?

patches

curious as to your crap assessment for the NNs. Which model were you riding? I was rather pleasantly surprised with the NNs (pacestar, evo, snakeskin. 2.35) i had as a front tyre: superb grip, good wear.

But i've finally given up on the hans dampf craze. Front wheel is now a magic mary super gravity, and when the HD on the rear wheel finally shreds itself to death, I'll be switching to either the rock razor or magic mary. All super gravity carcasses.

Mine are 2.35 Pacestar, Snakeskin. They are nice, but I've had bad moments when riding over wet rocks. So I just don't trust them, and that affects my cornering now. As far as I can tell they slip badly when they're wet, and I'm quite a conservative rider. On one occasion I rode over a wet rock ledge, not even tilted into a corner and the bike literally disappeared from beneath me. When it's dry I'm very happy with them, but in the wet, and on that early morning damp loam they'll just pop out from under me, without warning.

I've heard that Trailstar is much better, but I can't qualify that with any experience.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the conditions you ride in?

Ive been on Mountain Kings protection for ages and they great tyres when it's dry.The last 2 months i have been riding NN because it's been very wet.

The Mk roll much faster and are a softer ride than the NN.When it dries up ill be on the MK again but for now the NN are great.

Seems like we'r both writing replies at the same time, with very diff perspectives!

Are your tyres Trailstar, maybe that's the issue?

Just fitted a 2.35 Nevegal to my back wheel - 900g and has lovely stiff side knobs.

Be prepared to exert a little bit of extra effort in the pedalling department...

Nevegals hook up well, but they're the slowest-rolling tyres I've used. I don't dislike them though, the grip is excellent, you just have to get used to the extra resistance.

Seems like we'r both writing replies at the same time, with very diff perspectives!

Pace Star and running them tubeless @2bar.

12812437523_0658f16bca_b.jpg

Ding Ding. That's the diffference right there. The Pacestar is their hardest compound and will not hook up as well as teh Trailstar or Vertstar compounds. It's like asking a conti eco contact to have the same grip in any conditions as an Eagle f1.

Pace Star and running them tubeless @2bar.

12812437523_0658f16bca_b.jpg

Hmm they're the same. But I can't say I'm charmed by Nobby Nics when it gets wet. If its sandy then they're hundreds, even in the rain. But any other wet conditions, I'd rather not ride. Which is a shame.

Hmm they're the same. But I can't say I'm charmed by Nobby Nics when it gets wet. If its sandy then they're hundreds, even in the rain. But any other wet conditions, I'd rather not ride. Which is a shame.

May also be down to the pressure you're running them at.... But the Pacestar shoudl be at the back. Not the front...

I have 2.35 Nobby Nics on Novatec Flowtrail rims. I want to put a Mountain King 2 on the front because the Nic is a crap front tyre. What width do I get? Will 2.4 be too wide? I don't want to go tractor, but I also don't want my rear Nic to be wider than the front.

i have been running NN for the past 3-4months now,

i have 2.25 Nics at the back, and 2.4 Nics in the front. in all fairness i think my front is an older model than the rear. However, they are both pacestar and i have not been let down by my Nics to date. Even in the Wet rock gardens. My rear 2.25 (newer version) looks the same volume size as my older 2.4 Front Nic. i run low pressure on tubes with no issues. i can do this because of my body weight and size. Still, i cannot say i have ever been disappointed by my Nics yet. Only thing i can say is that i think running NN back and front has a bit of rolling resistance so i do have to pedal a lot.

I did find that my tyres seem to surprise me more and more these days as my technique and skills slowly improve.

i have been running NN for the past 3-4months now,

i have 2.25 Nics at the back, and 2.4 Nics in the front. in all fairness i think my front is an older model than the rear. However, they are both pacestar and i have not been let down by my Nics to date. Even in the Wet rock gardens. My rear 2.25 (newer version) looks the same volume size as my older 2.4 Front Nic. i run low pressure on tubes with no issues. i can do this because of my body weight and size. Still, i cannot say i have ever been disappointed by my Nics yet. Only thing i can say is that i think running NN back and front has a bit of rolling resistance so i do have to pedal a lot.

I did find that my tyres seem to surprise me more and more these days as my technique and skills slowly improve.

you are too light! your argument is automatically null and void.

:P

Ding Ding. That's the diffference right there. The Pacestar is their hardest compound and will not hook up as well as teh Trailstar or Vertstar compounds. It's like asking a conti eco contact to have the same grip in any conditions as an Eagle f1.

actually, the pacestar version i had hooked up pretty damn good! Was mega surprised!

Yeah I remember you telling me. But the point is that it will never grip as well as the trail star. Except in gard pack conditions

Was probably down to air pressure though

never implies a large and noticable difference. Granted, it's not a direct comparison, but the pacestar NN faired the same as the HD in vertstar. One exception was very slick surfaces, where the HD, no doubt down to the compound, faired a little better. But for everything else, those NNs hooked up properly.

never implies a large and noticable difference. Granted, it's not a direct comparison, but the pacestar NN faired the same as the HD in vertstar. One exception was very slick surfaces, where the HD, no doubt down to the compound, faired a little better. But for everything else, those NNs hooked up properly.

then I'm definitely looking forward to seeing those magic marys!