AM tyres... what you running?

patches

[You can also check out the Spaz Butcher for front & Slaughter (Grid version) at the back.

Good grip on the front & not too much rolling resistance

Any thoughts Slaughter front and rear?

Would stick with a Butcher front and Slaughter rear in winter in KZN not summer and would never put the Slaugher in the front,not enough grip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So about a month ago I got rid or the X-King I was running up front and replaced it with a Spez Purgatory 2.3. Super stoked with the grip I got and the confidence to push harder in the turns was awesome, but still had the 2.2 X-King at the back which was not much fun.

This week-end I was pushing my limits on some trails and almost saw my chops because of the rear wheel washing out. So thanks to my bonus I was looking for a new rear tire.

I bought a 2.4 WTB TrailBoss, which to me looks more like a rear tyre, but because it was supposed to be wider swopped it out with the Purgatory up front. As it turns out the Purgatory is 54mm compared to the Trailboss at 57 mm. I'm running 21mm internal rims.

All I can say is WOW! The grip and handling of the combination is incredible! Super stoked with the new set up with not much increase in rolling resistance.

So about a month ago I got rid or the X-King I was running up front and replaced it with a Spez Purgatory 2.3. Super stoked with the grip I got and the confidence to push harder in the turns was awesome, but still had the 2.2 X-King at the back which was not much fun.

This week-end I was pushing my limits on some trails and almost saw my chops because of the rear wheel washing out. So thanks to my bonus I was looking for a new rear tire.

I bought a 2.4 WTB TrailBoss, which to me looks more like a rear tyre, but because it was supposed to be wider swopped it out with the Purgatory up front. As it turns out the Purgatory is 54mm compared to the Trailboss at 57 mm. I'm running 21mm internal rims.

All I can say is WOW! The grip and handling of the combination is incredible! Super stoked with the new set up with not much increase in rolling resistance.

Put the Trailboss on the rear and put a Wtb Vigilante 2.3 on the front.

Put the Trailboss on the rear and put a Wtb Vigilante 2.3 on the front.

Ja, that's going to have to wait a while. The purgatory has only done about 100km and it's getting hard to justify the money to my wife.

Going to run them as is for a while and then swop them around and see if there is a marked difference.

The Trail Boss is more suited to being on the rear, as it is more rounded, with less pronounced side-knobs.

In your situation, I'll run the Purgatory up front and the Trail Boss at the back.

The Trail Boss is more suited to being on the rear, as it is more rounded, with less pronounced side-knobs.

In your situation, I'll run the Purgatory up front and the Trail Boss at the back.

Makes sense, good thing I bought a 1l bottle of Stan's

Hi Hubbers,

So I have a tyre predicament which I am sure a lot has shared. (especially recently it seems)

So hand up who has had profuse cr@p with the latest schwalbes??? (Leaking suddenly or puncturing - no foreign object needed)

I had a brand new 2 - 3 months old new nobby nic start leaking everywhere... Fitted old draggy hans dampf on the back - no more leaks or puncturing (2015 Scwhalbes seem to suck)

I now (well actually always - just more as of recently since I am trying harder) have a scrubbing hans dampf SS trailstar 2.35 front on my Trance @1.4bar. Now I am not sure if this is due to the small tears in the side knobbies (another Schwalbe special) mind you it probably always scrubbed on tight and twistys when trying to maintain speed.

So to put it short I need help to cure me from the Schwalbe disease

Need the following boxes ticked:

Front:

1. More front grip than Hans Dampf 2.35 SS Trailstar. (less scrubbing or wash-out)

2. Less leaking/weeping.

3. less tearing of the treads

3. Similar weight (800g)

Considering ONZA IBEX 2.4 or WTB Trailboss 2.4 or Vigilante 2.3

A1114307 IBEX AM/END 27.5x2.40 890g 61-584 FRC 60 kevlar/fold RC2 65a/55a TLR A1114309 IBEX AM/END 27.5x2.40 850g 61-584 FRC120 120 kevlar/fold RC2 65a/55a TLR

Rear:

1. Similar to Nobby Nic 2.25 SS Pace Star

1. less drag that hans dampf

2. Less leaking/weeping/punctures.

3. Similar weight (650g)

Considering ONZA CANIS 2.2 or WTB trailboss 2.2

A1114102 CANIS XC/AM 27.5x2.25 640g 57-587 C3 60 kevlar/fold RC2 65a/55a TLR A1114104 CANIS XC/AM 27.5x2.25 600g 57-584 C3120 120 kelvar/fold RC2 65a/55a TLR

I really cannot handle the scrubbing front anymore... I am all for oversteer not understeer.

Edited by s14phoenix

Hi Hubbers,

So I have a tyre predicament which I am sure a lot has shared. (especially recently it seems)

So hand up who has had profuse cr@p with the latest schwalbes??? (Leaking suddenly or puncturing - no foreign object needed)

I had a brand new 2 - 3 months old new nobby nic start leaking everywhere... Fitted old draggy hans dampf on the back - no more leaks or puncturing (2015 Scwhalbes seem to suck)

I now (well actually always - just more as of recently since I am trying harder) have a scrubbing hans dampf SS trailstar 2.35 front on my Trance @1.4bar. Now I am not sure if this is due to the small tears in the side knobbies (another Schwalbe special) mind you it probably always scrubbed on tight and twistys when trying to maintain speed.

Front:

1. More front grip than Hans Dampf 2.35 SS Trailstar. (less scrubbing or wash-out)

2. Less leaking/weeping.

3. Similar weight (800g)

Considering ONZA IBEX 2.4 or WTB Trailboss 2.4 or Vigilante 2.3

A1114307 IBEX AM/END 27.5x2.40 890g 61-584 FRC 60 kevlar/fold RC2 65a/55a TLR A1114309 IBEX AM/END 27.5x2.40 850g 61-584 FRC120 120 kevlar/fold RC2 65a/55a TLR

Rear:

1. Similar to Nobby Nic 2.25 SS Pace Star

3. Similar weight (650g)

Considering ONZA CANIS 2.2 or WTB trailboss 2.2

A1114102 CANIS XC/AM 27.5x2.25 640g 57-587 C3 60 kevlar/fold RC2 65a/55a TLR A1114104 CANIS XC/AM 27.5x2.25 600g 57-584 C3120 120 kelvar/fold RC2 65a/55a TLR

I really cannot handle the scrubbing front anymore... I am all for oversteer not understeer.

Was it you who called me this morning? :D

Hi Hubbers,

So hand up who has had profuse cr@p with the latest schwalbes??? (Leaking suddenly or puncturing - no foreign object needed)

I now (well actually always - just more as of recently since I am trying harder) have a scrubbing hans dampf SS trailstar 2.35 front on my Trance @1.4bar. Now I am not sure if this is due to the small tears in the side knobbies (another Schwalbe special) mind you it probably always scrubbed on tight and twistys when trying to maintain speed.

Front:

2. Less leaking/weeping.

3. Similar weight (800g)

Considering ONZA IBEX 2.4 or WTB Trailboss 2.4 or Vigilante 2.3

Rear:

1. Similar to Nobby Nic 2.25 SS Pace Star

3. Similar weight (650g)

Considering ONZA CANIS 2.2 or WTB trailboss 2.2

What type of riding do you do and what wheel size?

*snip

*snip*

1. Michelin Wild Grip'R 2.35" (F) and Wild Race'R 2.25" ®;

2. Specialized Butcher Control 2.3" (F) and Purgatory/Ground Control 2.3" ®;

3. Onza Ibex (F) and Canis ®;

4. Continental Trail King 2.4" (F) and Mountain King 2.4" ®;

5. Maxxis High Roller II / Minion DHR (F) and Maxxis Ardent ®; and

6. WTB Vigilante / Breakout (F) and Trail Boss ®.

Those are my top picks. 

Carcass type and sizing is up to you. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have been riding my ibex/canis 2.25 for a while now and they awsome.

The first ride theu gripped so well and was fast rolling.

Since that first ride i played with the tyre pressure a bit while on my rides and now i feel that i cant get that same grip back.

I am rather naieve with tyre pressure so just thumb suck a 2 bar front and back ????.

Please give me some guidence where is good to start for optimal grip. I know conditions play a role lets assume good conditions on a trail which is dry.

I am 79kgs and the tyres are tubless 2.25. Thanks

So I ended up with a WTB combo of a Vigilante 2.3 front and Wolverine 2.2 in the back.

Running 1.8bar rear and 1.4-1.5bar front I weigh anything between 72kg and 75kg without any gear. so lets say 75kg...

less front scrub on hairpin twisty bits. up to 80 kg I would run 1.5 front and 1.8-1.9 rear.

1. Michelin Wild Grip'R 2.35" (F) and Wild Race'R 2.25" ®;

2. Specialized Butcher Control 2.3" (F) and Purgatory/Ground Control 2.3" ®;

3. Onza Ibex (F) and Canis ®;

4. Continental Trail King 2.4" (F) and Mountain King 2.4" ®;

5. Maxxis High Roller II / Minion DHR (F) and Maxxis Ardent ®; and

6. WTB Vigilante / Breakout (F) and Trail Boss ®.

Those are my top picks. 

Carcass type and sizing is up to you. 

Should have gone with the Trailboss on the back... That I know now - not that the wolverine is bad just the Trailboss is better in the thick and loose - I think.

[You can also check out the Spaz Butcher for front & Slaughter (Grid version) at the back.

Good grip on the front & not too much rolling resistance

Any thoughts Slaughter front and rear?

make sure you have a friend with a camera nearby if you wanna do that