AM tyres... what you running?

patches

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have any of you used the old version of the Conti MK?

post-31228-0-24074800-1380174497_thumb.jpg

I also have a Spesh Purgatory that I had on the front (which was awesome!) with a ghetto tubeless conversion which ended in a side wall cut +/- 10mm long, I would like to try and patch the cut and use the tyre with a tube, is this advisable?

If I can patch the Purg (26x2.2) I am thinking of running it on the front and the MK (26x2.4) on the back. Yes the purg is marked as a 2.2 but it seems the same width as the MK. Grip and rolling wise should I go Purg front and MK rear or the other way around?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Three-Ways-to-Save-A-Leaky-Tubeless-Tire-2012.html Check out the last one.

I thought AM was about making your own trails and having fun (not worrying about punctures).

So, why the emphasis on light-weight for AM tyres if more weight in most cases affords more protection?

I want to upgrade my MKIIs at some point. the 2.4s are stretching the limits of what my bike can fit.

Someone please recommend a bombproof option.

I thought AM was about making your own trails and having fun (not worrying about punctures).

So, why the emphasis on light-weight for AM tyres if more weight in most cases affords more protection?

I want to upgrade my MKIIs at some point. the 2.4s are stretching the limits of what my bike can fit.

Someone please recommend a bombproof option.

All-mountain should not be confused with big-mountain and freeride.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my latest attempt at finding a decent rear tyre that will handle the kind of abuse I dish out. It replaces my "still servicable but not up to the task" Purgatory 2.3. The Purgatory has leaky sidewalls and loses air making it prone to burping unless carefully monitored. So for the Bronson seems airtight and probably a better match strength wise for the HD on the front... It weight around 800g! We shall see.

post-14003-0-82384500-1381397726_thumb.jpg

Here's my latest attempt at finding a decent rear tyre that will handle the kind of abuse I dish out. It replaces my "still servicable but not up to the task" Purgatory 2.3. The Purgatory has leaky sidewalls and loses air making it prone to burping unless carefully monitored. So for the Bronson seems airtight and probably a better match strength wise for the HD on the front... It weight around 800g! We shall see.

How much does the tyre sell for?

Ghetto conversion FTW. Just got a 2.4 Nobby Nic and man it sealed easily. On a rim that's got dents and gouges too. Haven't ridden anything gnarly yet. Will see how that goes

Ghetto conversion FTW. Just got a 2.4 Nobby Nic and man it sealed easily. On a rim that's got dents and gouges too. Haven't ridden anything gnarly yet. Will see how that goes

which compound and carcass is your NN? I have the NN EVO pacestar with snakeskin. At the right pressure, that tyre hooks incredibly well, and it takes some damn serious punishment in its stride. Quite recommended (despite the fact i was laughed at because it was mounted up front 'instead of' at the back like the hans dampf)...

Edited by Capricorn

which compound and carcass is your NN? I have the NN EVO pacestar with snakeskin. At the right pressure, that tyre hooks incredibly well, and it takes some damn serious punishment in its stride. Quite recommended (despite the fact i was laughed at because it was mounted up front 'instead of' at the back like the hans dampf)...

Yup evo pacestar with snakeskin and I've got it up front with MK 2.2 at the back. Just had one ride so far but it's railing nicely

Yup evo pacestar with snakeskin and I've got it up front with MK 2.2 at the back. Just had one ride so far but it's railing nicely

what pressure you riding at?

Guest Omega Man

Nic runs HD front and rear on his DH bike and his AM bike. both tubeless and he swears by them.

I've got them front & rear on my trail bike. but when the time comes I'm going back to Minion 2.35 Front & rear. I just don't like the HD. It feels fine on rock & root but as soon as it gets sandy it gets about as vague as a politician.

Not that I'm getting anywhere NEAR the limits of the tires.

Edited by Omega Man

Where can you get the Wtb Bronson in SA, prices?

I would also like to know. I loved the 2.1 Bronson on my xc bike, and the wife still rides it. lekker tyres those.

Nic runs HD front and rear on his DH bike and his AM bike. both tubeless and he swears by them.

I've got them front & rear on my trail bike. but when the time comes I'm going back to Minion 2.35 Front & rear. I just don't like the HD. It feels fine on rock & root but as soon as it gets sandy it gets about as vague as a politician.

Not that I'm getting anywhere NEAR the limits of the tires.

which compound is he using? I'm running the HDs front and rear in verstar compound on those Mavic EX823s. It's quite a bit different from the pacestar, and it is a very tangible improvement. Grips really well. That said, after riding the DH bike after such a long time with the MMs on, i'm going to switch out the front HD to an MM or Magic Mary once it becomes available. Godzilla like levels of grip.

Guest Omega Man

which compound is he using? I'm running the HDs front and rear in verstar compound on those Mavic EX823s. It's quite a bit different from the pacestar, and it is a very tangible improvement. Grips really well. That said, after riding the DH bike after such a long time with the MMs on, i'm going to switch out the front HD to an MM or Magic Mary once it becomes available. Godzilla like levels of grip.

The middle compound. Dunno what the names are. He's not even running the super gravity on the DH bike.