AM tyres... what you running?

patches

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, has anyone been running a 2.4 Onza Citius on the front and just have it sketch out at moments you just wouldn't expect any tyre to? I've had it happen on 2 rides now on 2 different rims (21mm inner and now one with a 30mm inner). 

It's odd, they just slip out at the oddest times. Not when you're pushing hard but at time like taking a bit of a wrong line on a straight-ish trial in Conties and going a little off the track and suddenly it's drift time (on the way down to the tunnel) and then on then today just before little right hand turn after super tubes (at conties) that cuts into that bowl before the climb out and also on the routes by the dam... ice skating.  The Enduro line. Perfect. Tree charge. No worries. DH track. All good. 

I've found them pretty fast really despite thinking they would be slow and clocked some new best times on sections but this has me scratching my head a bit.  

So, has anyone been running a 2.4 Onza Citius on the front and just have it sketch out at moments you just wouldn't expect any tyre to? I've had it happen on 2 rides now on 2 different rims (21mm inner and now one with a 30mm inner). 

It's odd, they just slip out at the oddest times. Not when you're pushing hard but at time like taking a bit of a wrong line on a straight-ish trial in Conties and going a little off the track and suddenly it's drift time (on the way down to the tunnel) and then on then today just before little right hand turn after super tubes (at conties) that cuts into that bowl before the climb out and also on the routes by the dam... ice skating.  The Enduro line. Perfect. Tree charge. No worries. DH track. All good. 

I've found them pretty fast really despite thinking they would be slow and clocked some new best times on sections but this has me scratching my head a bit.  

Have the same tyre, never experienced these issues in those areas at Conties. I am however running the 27.5 version on my Scout, while I assume you're running a 29er on your Smuggler? Not sure that would have much influence though, but maybe it would. I do also find I can run the pressure pretty low on Flow Ex rims, which made a difference to the grip on offer in my experience. I run the Citius at 18psi, upwards of 21psi made for a very different less predictable experience for me

Have the same tyre, never experienced these issues in those areas at Conties. I am however running the 27.5 version on my Scout, while I assume you're running a 29er on your Smuggler? Not sure that would have much influence though, but maybe it would. I do also find I can run the pressure pretty low on Flow Ex rims, which made a difference to the grip on offer in my experience. I run the Citius at 18psi, upwards of 21psi made for a very different less predictable experience for me

It's actually on my 27.5 and it's just super weird at super odd times. I'm running them at about 22psi odd so it might be worth dropping them and seeing the out come. Cheers for the pointer (and for using real measurements like PSI not this Bar thing. That is a place find a refreshing ale not something in your tyres).  

I laughed at the bar comment :clap:

Turns out the Citius is only available in the smaller tyre size, whoops my bad. Should investigate more before posting silly comments! But yeah, maybe dropping the pressure will help. I found it made a difference and had no sketchy slips on a very wet ride at Conties this past weekend

• 2 months later...

New bike( 29er trail bike) came with A vittoria sugaro on the rear

However I'm chowing through it , 9 plugs in the tyre currently 2 of which are on the bead ( well just above it) 

Looking for something fast rolling in A super tough casing ( like rock razor ) specialized have A similar tyre ( don't know the name ) but how tough is the grid casing ? And do they make A tougher casing ?

I'm only considering it cause spez tyres tend to be A little cheaper , only cheap tyre maxxis have is the ikon and that ain't gona cut it for enduro 

2.35 - 2.5 ideally 

However I'm chowing through it , 9 plugs in the tyre currently 2 of which are on the bead ( well just above it) 

Looking for something fast rolling in A super tough casing ( like rock razor ) specialized have A similar tyre ( don't know the name ) but how tough is the grid casing ? And do they make A tougher casing ?

I'm only considering it cause spez tyres tend to be A little cheaper , only cheap tyre maxxis have is the ikon and that ain't gona cut it for enduro 

2.35 - 2.5 ideally 

29er 

I have been riding with the Minion DHF on the front wheel & a Minion SS on the rear. Both EXO casing & have been very happy. Previously I was riding on a summer mix of Onza Ibex on the front wheel & Specialized Slaughter which I actually preferred. It was a very fast rolling combination and gave a lot of grip in places like Jonkershoek & Tokai - AM / Cobra / DHs. Quite susceptible to correct pressures on the Ibex. A little to high, it wasn't a great tyre but get it right & it is great. A lot of people dismiss them but I think that is because they have not got their sweet spot found. The Grid casing was good & not to heavy, price was fantastic. Never had a puncture, a rip or any issues in the two year they were on my 29 bike. 

2.35 - 2.5 ideally

Slaughter is a BRILLIANT tyre. Only changed it for a citius for Ezel cos the FRC casing is sliiiiiightly tougher.

It grips, it corners like a demon and it rolls fast. Rate it above the Rock Razor, but it's not as tough as the super gravity. Kinda above between it and the snakeskin.

Will pop into A spez shop soon .... I do run slightly higher pressures due to where i ride , rim guards may also go onto the bike soon.

Any other options ? 

Front or rear or both? Haven't seen the tread in the flesh.

Rear. 

Pair it with a DHF if you ride fast trails, a DHRII if you ride slower and steeper trails or a High Roller II if you ride softer trails that require good soil penetration for grip. 

primarily looking for A fast rolling tyre with big side knobs if i need to lean the bike hard 

Braking ain't an issue cause i'm A feather weight ( 62kg ) 

So far 

Spez slaughter 1st pick

Maxxis ardent/agressor 2nd pick

Rock razor 3rd pick ( I like the casing but price is ridiculous)