Intermediate Skills

depends what discipline XC, AM, freeride, DH?

I would think intermediate is the discipline inbetween all these..

Aaaaah, you mean to say TRAILRIDING

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaaah, you mean to say TRAILRIDING

I recon at best I would fall into this description

hahaha! despite the hatred flying our way on other threads... I'm proud to say that I'm a fun rider :D

I funride trails, dirt jumps, DH courses and the odd XC race. I just don't funride up hills. That's serious-face riding!

Edited by patches

Besides hopping over a bunny and doing a wheelie it would be nice if some MTB'ers knows how to fix a chain and a Toobeless tyre and not stand in the trail waiting for help !

Besides hopping over a bunny and doing a wheelie it would be nice if some MTB'ers knows how to fix a chain and a Toobeless tyre and not stand in the trail waiting for help !

Sorry I can't weld :(

Not being sure what that means makes me less than intermediate....... ?

ditto, will have to research what a proper one is.

A proper bunnyhop is where you first lift your front wheel of the ground, while your front wheel is in the air you then only lift your rear wheel over the obstacle, us XC guys have a tendancy to either try and roll over logs in our way instead of a proper bunny hop over the obstacle. But bunnyhops can be incorporated in many forms of trail riding to make sure you dont loose speed and you carry momentum. Most XC guys "bunnyhop" by lifting both wheels of the ground at the same time, although this is usefull you can only clear very minor obstacles in your path and you need decent speed for it to have any effect.

Agree here........ where to find ones for practice?

(Theres an awesome one at welvanpas, then theres the slalom track at ntida not quite a switchback but damn nice berms :) kliprug and hillcrest have loads of up and downhill switchbacks (not tottally of camber but nice practice none the less) Then at the back of houwhoek in grabouw theres a forest that forest is littered with off camber tight downhill muddy and slippery switchbacks)

a cutty? Again, dont even know what it means. Damn, I am a beginner.

A cutty is actually a downhill term, its basically hitting your backbrake and sliding the bike into a turn in the inteded line and direction you want the bike to go, this is achieved with leg and weight positioning on the bike, very usefull when you need to make sharp turn especailly in loose sand or gravel

true that!

I can recommend newer riders watch dirtschool, and then theres one "fundamentals of mountainbiking" both will give some handy pointers on techniques. Granted they only cover a handfull of things but once you master those basic skills you become a lot more confident in your riding abilities. Just watch out we get lazy and our bad habbits return in time.

hahaha! despite the hatred flying our way on other threads... I'm proud to say that I'm a fun rider :D

I funride trails, dirt jumps, DH courses and the odd XC race. I just don't funride up hills. That's serious-face riding!

Huh? Really, gotta go see.. ooh

Whew, wasn't me..

Edited by Master Pain - aka Betty

xc - i think this is the most popular discipline currently enjoyed around the country

Xc is very technical lap racing, I think marathon riding is the most popular.

Not being sure what that means makes me less than intermediate....... ?

ditto, will have to research what a proper one is.

Agree here........ where to find ones for practice?

a cutty? Again, dont even know what it means. Damn, I am a beginner.

Go ride Schapenberg black trail if you want a off camber turn, its called the Cobra and dips and then turns against the banking and off camber back through the dip and over the rock - mega fun/scary.

Can a 29er just roll up a pavement at 30km/h?

Everybody should know a basic skill like a bunnyhop.

xc - i think this is the most popular discipline currently enjoyed around the country

Xc is very technical lap racing, I think marathon riding is the most popular.

Potato, potaato.

I think rock n rolla was referring to marathon. If one really wants to distinguish, they should use the UCI designations...

XCO (cross country olympic, the lappy technical racing) or XCM (cross country marathon, the long suffering district road riding).

Generally though, on the hub (and in South Africa as a whole) if someone says "XC", they are talking about XCM (due to the fact that 84% of South Africa's MTB races are marathon races, and 72% of my statistics are made up on the spot... But you get the idea).

On the less likely occasion that they're talking about XCO (6.3% chance)... they usually mention it as such.

Edited by patches

Bunny hopping is for 26", 29er just bombs though.

And break the flimsy wheels?

It is also flippen difficult to hop a 20naainer properly.