Strava sued for negligence in cyclist’s death

petatodd

How stuffed up is this?

SAN FRANCISCO, CA (BRAIN)—The family of a San Francisco cyclist killed two years ago when he crashed into a car while speeding on his bike has sued the popular Strava website for encouraging dangerous behavior to win challenges on the social networking site.

In a seven-page negligence lawsuit filed Monday in San Francisco’s Superior Court, the parents of Kim Flint Jr., 41, claim their son crashed while he was attempting to defend his “King of the Mountain” title in Orinda, California’s Tilden Park on June 19, 2010.

According to the documents, Flint held the King of the Mountain title for a hill in Tilden Park, and when he discovered another rider had beaten his time, went out to defend his title. King or Queen of the Mountain is the term Strava uses to identify the fastest rider on a particularly segment, as clocked by GPS. Flint apparently collided with an automobile as he was attempting to regain the lead, and was killed.

Strava was negligent because it failed to warn cyclists competing in the KOM challenge that the road conditions were not suited for racing and that it was unreasonably dangerous; failing to take adequate measures to ensure the KOM challenges took place on safe courses; and encouraging dangerous behavior.

“It was foreseeable that the failure to warn of dangerous conditions, take safety measures, and encourage dangerous behavior would cause Kim Flint Jr. to die since Kim Flint Jr. relied on [strava] to host a safe challenge,” the suit claims. “Had [strava] done the aforementioned acts, Kim Flint Jr. would not have died as he did.”

Mark Riedy, Strava spokesperson, issued a statement debunking the validity of the case.

“The death of Kim Flint was a tragic accident, and we expressed our sincere condolences when it occurred in 2010. Based on the facts involved in the accident and the law, there is no merit to this lawsuit,” the statement read.

The family is asking for damages in excess of $25,000 to cover wage loss, loss of use of property, hospital and medical expenses and other damages suffered by the family.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for the parents losing their kid but they are smokin some serious **** if they think they have a chance of being successful.

I feel sorry for the parents losing their kid but they are smokin some serious **** if they think they have a chance of being successful.

Thug you'd be surprised what can happen in a lawsuit.

However common sense should prevail, and the parents should realise that their son undertook the challenge at his own risk. Then again common sense is a lot less common than you'd expect.

Go figure, maybe someone should sue the cellphone company who sold him the phone which was used to track his route.

Tragic loss to loose a family member.

But this sounds like a "challenge accepted" type of thing...

Surely one knows the risks involved when using public roads.

That is just eff'd up........ a lot like this pic:

This is the type of law suite case I expect from you Tiny.

Forever sitting on the pc mapping your routes and not out in the open riding the routes.

We dont you sue mapmyride as they caused you to loose all fitness and forced you into obesity?

With all that sitting inside and not getting any sun light your pale ass is now suffering from a Vitamin D defects. Staring at your computer screen 24/7 caused you to loose sight in one eye.

But go file it in la-la America land, there you stand a chance of winning the case!

Oh and then send me 50% of your wining as my handling fee for helping formulate your case! ;)

seems like I should retract my Speed Trap Challenge :ph34r:

..you hear that 1hill! it's off!

HA, chicken!

Updated terms and conditions at Strava

We've updated our terms and conditions, and we're doing everything we can to get the word out. You'll also see a notice on your dashboard when you log in to strava.com, and we've posted to our blog as well.

What's changed? We've grown a lot and have expanded our products and services since our terms were last updated. The updated terms clarify things related to our mobile apps, as well as real-world races and events that you might participate in that use Strava's site.

That short description isn't meant to be a substitute for the real deal, so please take the time to read the revised terms and conditions found at strava.com/terms. If you use one of our mobile apps, please download the latest version to access the updated terms from inside the app. Then, get back out there and go for a ride or a run.

Thanks,

The team at Strava

Note: You are receiving this email because you have an account with Strava. There's no option to opt-out because this is a critical account update. We send them rarely!

Thug you'd be surprised what can happen in a lawsuit.

However common sense should prevail, and the parents should realise that their son undertook the challenge at his own risk. Then again common sense is a lot less common than you'd expect.

Now there's a quote of the week.